F.P.E. Fermented Plant Extracts

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Russy, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Just curious, what do you guys do with your fpe's once they start really stinking? I don't want to piss off any neighbors..I know there's the lacto bacillus option but I wanna do some with and without..

2. [quote name='"skunko420"']Just curious, what do you guys do with your fpe's once they start really stinking? I don't want to piss off any neighbors..I know there's the lacto bacillus option but I wanna do some with and without..[/quote]

Hold your nose? Lol

3. You guys keep me on my toes, always learning something new. Feel like I owe someone tuition..lol.

As it pertains to FPE's, what kind of ratios should I explore when using Alfalfa/Kelp Meal?

4. Seandawg that's exactly what I'll be doing but I'm not worried about me smelling it, I'm just worried about neighbors lol... Does the smell even travel? I've heard people reference it to an open sewer this is what makes me worried about neighbors smelling it haha

5. #26 InTheGarden, Oct 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2012
    skunko, do you live in an apartment or something? It smells rank but it doesn't stink up everything in the area. The smell of it is similar to that of an open sewer but it's not like there's actually an open sewer, that would stink up the entire area.

6. No I live in a residential area.. So the smell from a comfrey fpe or say stinging nettle tea out of a 5 gallon bucket won't travel 10 ft.?

7. Not unless the wind's blowing right. It's certainly not going to overpower any of your neighbors unless they come over and take the lid off and give it a smell.

8. Gotcha thanks

9. #30 urlove, Oct 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2012
    Hey,
    I think I overdosed a plant with too strong a nettle solution.

Or maybe it was too much bio char.
    The new growth isnt showing signs of burn after removing some soil and flushing a with just water.

Just what does a plant leaf look like when it's too strong a nettle tea?
    And what does too much bio char do?

I can't send photos over the phone so I can only describe it as odd. I don't usually see problems with my leaves so I have a hard time decribing them .. yellowish spotty esp near tips and edges of leaves.

Luckily for me the new. Looks good although seems small.
    But small new growth happens when one is a LST freak like me and likes to get the plants really bushy from an early age

Anybody have a pic of nettle tea burn?
    Or overdose of bio char?

I do eventually learn, thanks
    :)

10. I was wondering if insects may be a viable source to extract nutrients from? Perhaps a strange question lol... however, they're supposed to be loaded with phosphorus, calcium and many other nutrients. I figured they may release phosphorus faster than bone meal, guano, rock phosphate etc... any thoughts

11. That'd be an incredible about of insects to collect.. you need a lot of biomass for an fpe

12. wouldn't be too hard i don't think. I'd likely buy feeder crickets or something, rather than try to gather enough. I can get 1000 crickets for $25, which would likely be enough to try on a couple plants. I'd put them in the freezer until they were frozen and crush them, and try fermenting for 5-7 days. Could be great for their chitin, and apparently feeder insects generally contain lots of phosphorus. Might be something to fuck around with.

I'd try that before frass I think... I'm sure frass could be beneficial though.

• Like Like x 2
  13. So much good information. Whats the smallest batch of comfrey / stringing nettle tea you can make? Can Comfrey be used fresh in a fpe?

14. Hell ya just double your amount,since dried anything,is,always stronger.

Ive made a syrup in,1/2 pint,jars and used,a tablespoon per gal but that was alfalfa.

HaGGarD

15. ^^^ Have you visited Gil's website? It gives you recipes, techniques, and ratios for use. Read the garlic/ginger recipe. Just replace with comfrey. Or you could just do a botanical tea, which is just a water soak/rot procedure that will extract the water soluble goodies from the plant material, which are mostly minerals. This does not take nearly as long as FPE's, but is an inferior method for extracting minerals/compounds, IMO. Fermentation produces low levels of alcohol which allow for extraction of alcohol soluble molecules (growth hormones being one of these) as well as the water soluble stuff. Don't know which route will work best for you.

If you go botanical tea, here's this...

http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-growing/951823-botanicals.html?highlight=botanical+teas

BTW... botanical teas smell like shyt! Literally like a sewer, and some are worse than others. Read the posts. You'll find that many of the growers that use BT's are hesitant to use FPE's because of the alcohol generated during fermentation. You may (or may not) know that alcohol is toxic to plant roots. This is true. However, fermentation produces VERY low concentrations of ethyl alcohol. Low concentrations of alcohol are safe for plant roots. I'll get into more detail if you find it necessary.

16. The low pH and alcohol produced is why you cut it back with water when you apply to your plants. Great fucking info you organic ninjas