F**King Nats......

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by RecStoner, Oct 17, 2010.

1. I have these little nats in the house, before I grew, they would hang out in the kitchen, but not that I have a warmer area, they hang around the plants.

They are not doing anything, but they just borther me.

What is safe to spray around the plants?

2. buy some yellow stickey strips at wally mart and don't water so often. If you keep the top of the soil wet they will never leave. Let the first inch or two dry out before watering

3. Ive been fighting a fruit fly infestation for weeks.

Ive gotten so fucking quick smacking them im practically a fucking samurai.

Clapping them is way too hard cause they almost always dodge it, but a quick bitchslap should do the trick.

4. yeah, I smack them out now, they just bother me, if they want to live here, they need to pay rent!

5. Root gnats live in the dirt and need the moisture to survive. fly strips are a good way to fight them, but to complete stop them you need to block them from the dirt. Putting sand on top of the soil is one good way. Sand dries out very quickly leaving the root gnats no soil to dig into.

6. yah i have fruitflies too, well i used to i got rid of them all. get a wine glass and make a funnel out of paper and tape it to the wine glass and put tape all around the edges so the little fuckers cant get out, oh and put orange juice in the bottom, little shits love it

7. If you put the word 'fruit' in front of the name of a pest, it makes the insect sound almost alluring, probably because I've never had to deal with them.

;)

8. Well when I get back from my trip, them *****s getting vacated!!!

9. The idea of sand on top works or you can put a 1/2 inch of perlite on top. The don't like getting scratched up.

I hate the little things myself.

10. those are fruit flies not nats

11. become a pro and catch them mid air with one hand

12. Can you use an insectidal soap mix on the soil to kill them off?

My pots are fill to the top so for me to add any sand to them I would have to dig out the sound and I really don't want to expose any roots to problems.

13. I went to the hydro store and the guy recommended these cheap little blue sticky cards that you hang up near the base of your plant. he said the blue color attracts them, and I must say, after 24 hours there were about 35 of them stuck to the traps. I am flowering now, and didn't want to use any chemicals. these things worked great.

the guy told me that these were fungus gnats, and they were from algae growing on the top of my rockwool. he told me that the sticky traps along with covering the top of the rockwool so they didn't receive light, would cure the issue, and he was right.

14. Ahh!! I had an infestation at my apartment of these 'soil gnats', and they were so extensive I was still slapping those mofos dead months after the grow had been taken down!

Curse those winged devils. I eventually had to get some spray for the soil along with hanging sticky strips (they're gross real quick).

15. Gognats and soil covers will cure your ailes in a few weeks.

16. When I use to ten bard and later when managed the bar and staff (cleaning fruit flies away from open fruit trays no one wants a fly covered cherry in their drink) as well as keeping little fruit flies away from my brewing or gardening I have always used apple vinegar in a small saucer left in the open. Little guys will swim down and take a sip of sweet apple...werrrr vinegar AHHHH! What a world.. what a world... ;)

:smoke:

17. Well, I picked up a bag os sand, put about 2 inches on top of the soil on each plant. I also picked up "organiccon" gnat and mite killer. It was an edible substance, I sprayed the air where they were flying around, most of them just dropped. I then also sprayed the rim of each pot, I'll see how it looks tomorrow.

18. 24 hours later and those little motherfuckers are vacated!!!

19. Soil Gnats aka Fungus Knats lay eggs in the soil and when they hatch the larvae eat the roots. The sand info definitely works. It will suffocate the larvae in the soil already and prevents the mature ones from laying anymore. You can also water with a light solution of neem and water.

Digging out some dirt and filling with sand isn;t a bad idea. If you expose roots and cover them with sand it will make it almost impossible to over water. Those roots will eventually become air roots. Always getting oxygen. just like the trees you see outside. Soma does it with all his plants.

You shouldn't fill your pots all the way up next time anyway. Always leave room on the top.

20. I had about 2 inches to the top, so I just added sand on it. I sprayed once, except when I sprayed them out of the air, and it is still working.

The best thing, the organox or whatever it was is made of an organic edible product. :wave: