Eyes!! Teach us a lesson!!

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by bkadoctaj, Apr 21, 2008.

1. I just realized why eyes are black and reflective!! You are supposed to be able to see your reflection in everyone else's. Why is the pupil black? So you realize that you can even see yourself in your enemies (dark thoughts). Our eyes just bounce light/vibrations/energy around like funhouse mirrors. :)

This was the answer to my question so long ago:

http://forum.grasscity.com/spirituality-philosophy/197450-look-into-tripping-eyes.html

2. black absorbs all light.

thats why pupils are black.

the reflection you see in any mirror, is your perspective of yourself.

3. But you see yourself in every other person you look at. :) It's symbolic but oh-so-real.

That's why they are black? Or that's a theory you subscribe to? An approximation of the truth which theories assume exists in order to give themselves reason to exist as well, correct?

4. black is not reflective at all.

color doesnt enter into it.

we can see reflection cuz its a glossy wet surface, which would apply to any color.

thats pretty blanket to say that you see yourself in every other person you see.

i dont see myself in many people at all.

5. As you might put it: fixed.

Oh, are you one of those people who can't look into someone's eyes when he's lying? Or when he's telling the truth?

6. instead of thinking about that, you should think about how incredibly complex our eyes are. Imagine. an organ which is so fucking complex that it is able to take in light which is reflected off of other objects, translate that light into information, send that information to our brain, and translate that information into an "image"

just stare at the wall. a blank wall.

How much information can you get out of it?

the little crevices you see.
    maybe a slight reflective surface.
    the size.
    how close you are.

hundreds and hundreds of pieces of information.

all because of a blank wall.

isnt that astounding? and how this information can actually affect our psychology?

how seeing the color red makes our body temperature rise slightly?

How seeing green automatically reminds us of tranquility, cleanliness?

its amazing... all because of 1 (or should i say 2) organ(s)

7. I'm gonna go ahead and agree with scooby here.

Besides it seems like you are trying to make something out of nothing, which is easily facilitated by the grandness of the human body.

8. Wouldn't be more amazing to consider all the possible answers to why we can say so much about one simple thought? Where do the answers come from?

9. our brain? i guess?

10. I like how my post created more questions for us to come up with answers for from somewhere (the brain?).

11. While we are talking about the eyes and the brain, I just wanted to make a note of how amazing it is that the eyes are swapped on which side of the brain they go to, what the fuck could the purpose in that be? :smoke:

12. maybe its the same principle as a camera? or just how our eyes work in general?

like how images are originally "upside down" but are flipped for us?

maybe its the same thing but they are also facing the other direction, and the images cross in that way to re-arrange them to become easier to understand

13. Wow, is that the current view? That's pretty amazing indeed. Perhaps the mind learns about dimensions thanks to being forced to perceive everything from two connected but seemingly individual views (a.k.a. mental-ocular parallax). I did a drawing in my experimental music class last quarter that... well, let me find it and upload it. :D

14. Well I thought it was, I thought I saw some documentary on Discovery that stated how the eyes see everything upside down, and they are flipped in which side of the brain they are connected to.

Speaking though of how amazing the eyes are, think of how fast you can focus on an object at an almost infinite distance, and then immediately focus to another object close to you. That is a feat that no camera can accomplish nearly as fast. As far as the mechanical engineering of the eye goes, to evolve to something that works that good is quite spectacular.

15. Word.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]