Extremely incovenient weddings?

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by Lionel Hutz, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Anyone ever go to them? First off - who schedules a wedding on big Holiday? Most people only get a few holidays a year - do you blades think it's kind of audacious to schedule a wedding on a big holiday?

Anyways, my GF's sister's wedding is on the fourth of July. It's also in New York, while my GF, the bride, and the Bride's family (who are paying for the wedding) all were born, raised and currently LIVE in Glendale AZ (where I live as well).

Today, in the mail - I get a save the date from one of my good buddies from college. Their wedding date is December 23....ok, that's pretty close to Christmas. Maybe if it's close I can squeeze it into my schedule....where is the wedding you ask? Mazatlan Mexico. Are you serious? You want me to spend god knows more than a couple hundred bucks for airfare, then hotel rooms and food money, then on top of that I am out of town for all of Christmas? Just because you are getting married doesn't mean you should make everyone jump through hoops to celebrate YOU.

2. I would go to the one in July, if only to safe myself from my GF. Imagine, 40 years after this, she will refuse to cook or some shit and say "Well, you didnt even go to my sisters wedding." (not being sexist, I cook for my GF all the time).

But the one in December? Fuck that. I would probably apologise thoroughly and then tell them, in a gentle, polite but nonetheless penetrating way, that placing your wedding on the 23rd of december may not be the best idea.

3. Yeah, I'll go if my GF asks me to. We've only been going out a few months but I have a feeling a few months down the road (the time of the wedding) we will be a lot closer and I will probably have to go. It just sucks because Independence Day is my favorite holiday, and I won't be able to spend it with my friends and family.

Normal I wouldn't make a big stink about it. But this particular couple does this kind of shit all the time. They never think about anyone but themselves and it gets old REAL quick.

4. No one's forcing you to go.

If he's a real friend, let him know that it was inconvenient for you to go, and i'm sure he'll understand.

5. That is how destination weddings go. Most will have them around a major holiday to actually make it easier for people to have the time off to go. This is a norm in the travel industry. Many invite others to a destination wedding because it gives people the excuse to take a vacation however it is very understandable that only maybe 1% of those you invite will actually attend. A simple, we have family obligations and cannot attend is good enough. Really...it is a norm for the travel industry.

6. Yeah, I understand all that. It's just that me and all my friends are still relatively young. The bride is only 23. A vacation in Mazaltan is not something that many people my age can afford. Most of us are having a hard enough time paying mortgages and bills and whatever the fuck else. These friends that are getting married have parents with a lot of money. The constantly go on extravagant vacations (which are promptly posted on facebook I might add) and they drive nice cars and my buddy owns a boat despite the fact that it took him 2 more years to get a bachelors from the same college I went to (and I was on the 5 year plan hehe). Now, I don't hold it against anyone for having money - but this was a couple that was in a close group of friends. I look back and realize that we've all known and socialized together for a long time. And with this date and location of the wedding - I seriously doubt that any of us will be attending that wedding and i'm left just kind of scratching my head in why they would do that?

7. dude fuck that...i think its really inconsiderate of your guests to do that on a real holiday, especially the nonfamily memebers...if i were u i would skip that shit

8. With these economics times travel has actually come way down in the last year. We used to think that travel was out of our realm but honestly it is a matter of not going out to each a few times a month and you are able to pay for it no problem. Of course now all of our extra money is going into growing equipment these days!

9. doooood just bring the biggest fireworks you can get your hands on and raise hell at the wedding, should be good fun.

10. #10 Lionel Hutz, Dec 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2009
    But that involves me and the guest list making the sacrifice all in a celebration for them. If want people to come to YOUR wedding and make YOUR day special, shouldn't they take into consideration the inconvenience the date and location might put on people? If you want to invite me to a "Christmas vacation" on Dec 23rd where we can all party in mazaltan together... ok. Nothing wrong with that. Because a vacation is optional. But with close friends you should expect that they will do all they can to get to your wedding. Having a Mazatlan wedding on Dec 23rd is kind of taking advantage of those who do make the sacrifice and spend all that money.

How am I supposed to get fireworks on a plane? You don't expect me to drive to the east coast when i can take a plane for a fraction of the price?

11. uh i didn't really think you'd take it seriously but
    I bet you can get your hands on something fun in NY

12. Sometimes it is a matter of an opportunity because some do not have the best of times with family so an "excuse" to have to not make the holidays one year might be considered a good thing. I can see you are tight with your family so would see this in a negative light. No biggy, just tell them you cannot make it due to family over the holidays and no harm done.

13. I know how you feel man, I'm going to a wedding this sunday and I think it's really obnoxious.

14. Your going to mexico, just buy them there