Extreme Cleaning Tree Percolator Bong, Help Needed!

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by wob165, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Hey there!

Okay just to start off, I have owned this bong, every piece of this bong for about 7 months. I've never broken a single piece. I am very careful with it. I've cleaned it with rubbing alcohol, and salt after every 5-7 uses, religiously. I don't know why, but I just love the taste of a clean bong, that includes the bowlpiece.
    Up until about 3 months ago the bong had no problems getting completely sparkling clean, just as when I first bought it. Recently, I guess you could say, a 'film' started to develop on the inside wall of the percolator chamber, and even more recently on the underside of the splash guard. It's not quite resin, just the faint color of resin.
    I have tried EVERYTHING. I consider myself a glass cleaning expert now and I cannot get it off. I've tried just plain 99% rubbing alcohol and salt, I shook the damn thing for 10 minutes, vinegar, coke, denture cleaning tablets, oxyclean. Everything. Then on top of that I've done the opposite, plugged the stem and mouthpiece of the bong and soaked it in each of those liquids for 24 hours a piece. Nothing has even made a dent on this shit. If anyone has any ideas or anything that would be awesome. The only thing I have yet to try is heating the rubbing alcohol in the microwave then trying that, I think that might work but I don't want to risk cracking the glass. I'm at a loss of ideas. Here are some pictures, as you can see it's impossible to get down into the perc chamber with a pipe cleaner so that's out of the question.

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/28/photoplo.jpg
    http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/396/photo2s.jpg
    http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/3170/photo3b.jpg

Thanks so much for any help in advance!!

2. #2 Radio Flyer, Mar 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2009
    Did not read your post yet but...

GRUNGE OFF!

And upon reading your post I still recommend GRUNGE OFF SUPER SOAKER. And if you can, order a GonG stopper, buy 4 bottles of GO and soak that thing for a few days.

My friend had a ball of resin stuck in his slide, and I mean a ball around the wall that would not jiggle. 3 days of soaking in GO the resin ball broke down and his slide is brand new again.

A few days of 24 hours soaking will fix your problem. And did you know you can reuse it over and over for quite a few months.

3. thats what i use for my Toro :D works like a charm

4. I used lemon juice once and it helped.

5. [​IMG]

Seriously, this stuff is voodoo magic. Makes all my pieces sparkling clean, no shaking, no washing out. Let it soak and it's brand new again. AND reusable. Amazing product.

6. I'm having the same problem with my percs..

bought the orange grunge off and it's not coming off

7. Buy the bottle above. You may have to do multiple soaks with it.

Soak 24 hours, clean it then soak again.

I had to clean one of my friends slides and it took me about a week to get all the resin out.

It does a great job for your glass that you do try and keep clean regularly though, but it will take multiple soaks for some pieces depending on how long the resin has been being built up.

8. nvm, wasn't shaking hard enough lol :hello:

my resin wasn't bad at all, jsut couldn't get that residue off

it's gone now

9. just put alcohol in it...close all the holes...and shake it up. then pour the alcohol on a plate and let it evaporate. BAM a clean bong and free hash.

10. Yeah dude never had problems with plain old 91% iso alcohol and some salt, plus it's damn cheap.

11. Dude that's not hash that your smoking, that's nasty resin

12. i dont think resin is that nasty....tastes just like mids but gets you fucked up lol.

13. I know this is an extremely old thread, but I thought this was appropriate because I have the same exact problem and I couldn't have put it any better than wob165 had. I own a PH(X) with a honeycomb diffuser and two percolators up above the HD. Out of the entire piece, the only portion I cannot get to be clean is the top perc. The fact that this weird residue didn't start accumulating for a few months leads me to believe it is a deeper issue than regular resin. I've tried hot water, Simple Green, salt and iso alcohol, Grunge Off, R(x) Glass Cleaner... all over the course of the past two weeks. It really pisses me off because I've been extremely patient and I've given this tube as much shaking as possible to ensure I got the most friction inside of the tube as I physically could. Not even PH(X)'s own cleaner could do the job. What really baffles me more than anything is that the upper-most percolator is the one that I can't get back to normal. Not the downstem, honeycomb, or bottom perc.. just the top one!

Seriously, if anybody knows anything about what this buildup is or if any kind of cleaner even exists that is powerful (or at this point, corrosive) enough to get rid of it, I would be forever grateful. Out of the six tubes I own, this one percolator is the only thing I cannot seem to conquer.

Here's the problem:
    http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj209/scottyOSUfan/TopPerc.jpg

And here's the bottom one that cleans up the way all glass should:
    http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj209/scottyOSUfan/BottomPerc.jpg

If more time is all this thing really needs then so be it. I just don't think anyone should have to spend over 10 days of slow-soaking, shaking, rinsing, and repeating way too many times. I don't even let it get that dirty!

P.S. I would have taken this issue straight to PH(X), had they put up any contact information on their site...

14. It seems like everyone I know including myself has this problem we can clean the pieces spotless but there is calcification that will not go tried every single thing on this page and CLR shit doesn't work. I really need one thing that's perfect for everything.