Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

extraction?

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by upway2high, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Is there any other way to absorb thc by other means other than oil or alcohol? Say for example lemon juice?

2. Setting the plant afire and breathing in the aromatic fumes? Other than those three methods I have no idea

3. Been doing that half my life dank. Was thinking maybe a tall glass of lemonade or something different.

4. I read about that before. Thanks, its on my to do list.

5. Thanks stoneyboy, ill be sure to check it out.

6. Glycerin tincture is great stuff. We use it for everything from baking and sublingual/buccal-use, to vaporizing in e-cigs...

But back to your question. We've been using citric acid for a few years, on and off since the early 90's. In pure enough form, it breaks down and dissolves glandular material in such a way that it becomes bioavailable. Certain other, stronger acids are used as industrial drying agents; when poured into water, they can cause a chemical reaction hot enough to cause the water to boil, when such acid is poured over sugar in pure form, it can remove up to 11 molecules of water for every molecule of sucrose, and the result is a pile of black carbon!

Edible citric acid, on contact with organic matter, causes a much-lower grade combustion (ie., the burning, dissolving effect that any acid has), and also facilitates rapid dessication, or dehydration/drying. When you feel the tingle or burn, if it touches your skin, that's water and hydration being sucked from the affected area.

Decarboxylation is the process of removing the carboxyl group in the form of carbon dioxide, and water vapor. If done properly, decarboxylation will occur during the citric process, due to the acids ability to cause dehydration.
    I recommend using hash, but if you're meticulous and patient with room-temp (or just above) evaporation, herb can be used as well.. but it won't be as concentrated:

Citric Extraction/Infusion

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There was also a decent thread a little while back on using simple lemon and lime juice. But it isn't nearly as effective as a concentrated citric acid in powder form, and the process didn't call for any evaporation of the included liquids in order to help concentrate the acid (or the potency), to cause decarboxylation, or to further the break down of the glandular material. If I recall correctly, perhaps two out of every three folks who tried it and reported back, unfortunately didn't have the sort of success they were hoping... it was a lemon lime tea.

In the end unless you have the herb to spare for making hash, the ability not to cut corners, and a bit of patience, your best bets are: glycerin tincture, a high proof alcohol, or oil.

Hope this helps. :)

7. You could do a green dragon but with some citrus extract I remembered. Not sure if thts what the above poster said but....yeah

8. I think what you're thinking of is the way many people use something like the McCormick Lemon, or Mint, extracts to make Green Dragon type tinctures... these have so much flavor, that in order to dose correctly without the flavor being overpowering (or without diluting potency too much, in gallons of tea or drink, or a large recipe), you are best off either concentrating via multiple runs when using flowers/herb, or using straight hash.

Lemon extract works well in particular where it has some citric acid content, and because it tastes nice in many drinks and recipes. Some lemon extracts should contain a good amount of limonene, as well (see the below chart to see why this is beneficial... it's a very prevalent terpene in most strains, but it is contained in some skunk crosses and many haze varieties at slightly higher levels, and is thought to be either partly responsible for, or at least a contributing factor to the 'racy' high), but these flavor extracts function well primarily due, not to any citric acid, but to the alcohol content, which is somewhere around or above 160 proof.

[​IMG]

Alpha-Pinene Is found in various trees and plants, including cannabis. "This terpene is at the highest level in the Super Silver Haze. So if you like pine-tree smelling and tasting weed, think of growing this strain, or use it for crossings."

***Limonene "is a cyclic terpene. It is a colourless liquid at room temperatures with an extremely strong smell of oranges." This is where many strains get their citrus orange, lemon flavors and odors from.

Sabinene is found in high levels in many haze varieties.

Myrcene, or β-myrcene, - THIS is the terpene available in some fruits and plants, including mangoes, that causes people to feel that eating mangoes before smoking, will get them 'higher', which is somewhat true, only if the myrcene levels are high enough, and not diluted by so much plant flesh. For a more reliable effect, simply sniff your preferably fresh bud the instant you break it open, and enjoy that nice fragrance, just prior to smoking it. True widow strains develop high levels of myrcene.

TERPENES IN GRAPH:
    1- ALPHA PINENE
    2- CAMPHENE
    3- BETA PINENE
    4- SABINENE
    5- DELTA-3 CARENE
    6- ALPHA PHELLANDRENE
    7- BETA-MYRCENE
    8- ALPHA TERPINENE
    9- LIMONENE
    10- 1.8-CINEOLE
    11- Y-TERPINENE
    12- CIS-OCIMENE
    13- TRANS-OCIMENE
    14- ALPHA TERPINOLENE
    15- TRANS-CARYOPHYLLENE
    16- ALPHA HUMULENE

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. glycerin sounds like my best option, I'm really diggin that e-cig comment. Thanks for the info my fellow explorers. I was thinking about a pitcher of lemonade for a back yard bbq but ill just do a brownie or cookie dessert instead.

10. Lemon juice has very low solubility to cannabinoids.