Extra Virgin Olive Oil? Good or Bad?

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by As Above So Below, Jun 29, 2012.

1. So instead of using that cheap spray to coat your frying pan I have been using Great Value Extra Virgin Olive Oil. I pour a little in the pan and fry up some eggs for breakfast. I have read various things on the subject and I don't really know what to believe. I don't use a lot just enough to coat the pan so it doesn't stick.

I heard that EVOO has good fats in it but I've also read people who "debunk" that. So is it bad to use EVOO with eggs?

If you have any suggestions as to some other brand to use let me know, I know that the Great Value is CHEAP lol :hello:

2. If it's not better for you than it's neutral.

3. ^Yeah I mean it's certainly not going to kill me right? I know I use the cheap stuff but that's just whats kept in the house.

4. Olive oil is the healthiest of the 3 most commonly used oils (olive, soybean, canola). It's always best to use olive oil in place of more processed, lower quality oils.

5. On a frying pan a second press olive oil would be better. But on a salad or on a bruscetta extra extra virgin olive oil can't be beat.

the 3 and 4th pressed olive oils won't turn 'bitter' in high heat as would a first press "extra virgin". But if you don't over heat or scorch your pan you should be fine.

6. Olive oil is disgusting with eggs, use butter. I use olive oil for almost everything else though.

7. ^Lol I don't really notice a difference. It's just more oily lol. Can you recommend any better brands Trichy Tree?

8. unfortunately. price is the best indicator of any selection of Olive Oil. Depending on where in the country you are there are diff. distributors.
    And never buy more than a small bottle. Olive oil goes rancid extremely quickly.

And unfortunately most people can't tell by taste.

rancid olive oil tastes and smells like crayons to me.

9. There seems to be some uninformed people in here. EVOO is extremely healthy for you and full of lots of nutrients, but when it is heated it degrades and it actually turns rancid(toxic). It's also generally misunderstood that butter is bad for you, but it's very good for you if it's the right kind. Any milk based product in a grocery store is going to be pasteurized which means all bacteria has been killed off (good and bad). Of course most americans are lacto-intolerant on some scale because you're eating dead bacteria. I make my own cultured butter, yogurt and kefir from raw milk to make sure my milk products are living full of that good bacteria our guts need. Culturing it just proliferates those good bacteria's even more.

If you want an oil to cook with I suggest either quality butter or coconut oil. I've got a gallon of virgin pressed coconut oil that's $70 but it's lasted me a year now.

10. I fry my chicken in olive oil
    what yall think bout that

11. Thanks for the advice! So I guess cooking my eggs with it was a bad thing? Lol. I will look into what you said, not that I doubt you, I just some more knowledge.

12. Sorry for the double post, didn't want to edit. I have read this before but I thought nothing of it. I always assumed cracked.com was more of a comedy site, so I took what they say with a grain of salt.

Still I will look into it though! :p

13. It's got a satirical undertone, including cuss words, but the information is relevant. Remember to always check the sources, like a college classroom. If it wasn't real, I wouldn't waste my time.

However, when they talk about honey being from china, I can confirm this. I've seen the metal containers they come in on local farms, which is the reason I continued with the article.

There's a bee documentary on netflix that will also confirm this. If you have time, watch king korn or korn king on netflix. Its about the genetically modified corn that is grown using amonia fertilizer. The farmers in central cali where I live wont even feed that shit to their livestock and it goes in anything that contains corn/sugar.

Ketchup anyone?

I bought a house to grow my own food. Best decision I ever made! :D

Be informed!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Typical american fear mongering. Chug down lb after lb of artificial shit and then wonder if it isn't the real deal :rolleyes:

Next time do some research up front, you won't need to panic afterwards :wave:

Not hatin, just giving advice and my 0.02

15. Who panicked? You don't have to agree with me, but rolling eyes and all that teenage stuff is unnecessary.

I always do research before I open my mouth, which is why I'm having a difficult time understanding your point. Are you telling me that I'm incorrect? Did you read where I live in the central valley and have witnessed some of the claims first hand? Or do you just think I'm a liberal conspiracy nut? Sorry for reaching, but you didn't leave much to grab at....

Please explain further. Thanks.

16. Na, but the site made me rage. The way they send their message, the whole "PREPARE FOR THE HORROR OMG IT'S FUCKING DISGUSTING :eek::eek:" etc

You are right and I'm not hatin on you, but on those people that believe everything ads say, then find this page and freak the fuck out.

We cool bro :smoke:

17. Oh in that case I completely agree. But like manswers, they dumb it down to reach a certain audience. My guess? College/highschool kids haha.

What you smokin on brother? Bout to hit some bubba kush, white widow, and strawberry myself :smoke:

Using my new mflb! :D

18. Nothing, dry as the desert right now, but it's good because finals are coming up.

If all tests go well I'll upgrade to a real grow so dryness will not be a problem anymore :smoke:

My Buddha feels lonely though, keeps looking at me waiting for Monday when I'm gonna pick up again :hello:

19. Good for you on breaking for finals. That was my favorite part of the last one. I'd come home and smoke a VERY well deserved bowl, confident I'd aced my test. You keep it up and you'll be a huge success in no time.

When you're ready for that real grow, hit me up and I'll link you to some money saving connections, hardware wise.

Peace.:wave: