Exploring the woodland

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by smokehound, Mar 21, 2014.

1. #1 smokehound, Mar 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2014
    First is "Geophilomorpha", a kind of centipede that has evolved to hunt earthworms in the same manner that peregrine falcons evolved dove-like wings to hunt fast-flying pigeons.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5Y2KbpAH6o[/video]

They burrow in the same manner that earthworms do, by contracting their bodies.

Second is a dwarf tarantula, either Megahexura fulva, or Hexurella, the latter has a max length of 1" (legs included)

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdFWQRX3dZE[/video]

If this is Megahexura, it will grow to 1" in body length without the legs..

Also found in the area, Eleodes osculans, a species of darkling beetle with beautiful golden-red setae on its elytra.

[​IMG]

Here are a few shots of the habitat, which is a riparian zone that is usually moist year-round.  Ferns, mosses, lichens, and rare plants are abundant on the cliffs in this canyon, which transitions from chaparral, to sage scrub, to oak woodland, and riparian habitat, many streams cross the trail, and wildlife is extremely abundant.

An awesome portion of the trail that becomes beautiful white sand, small willow forest

[​IMG]

Cliffside in the riparian zone

[​IMG]

Poison oak is extremely abundant here..  

[​IMG]

Deep within the oak woodland..

[​IMG]

Small area where sunlight pokes into the forest..

[​IMG]

And this isnt even the best.. I'll return and snap some shots, it just gets more beautiful the further you go into the wilderness!

2. epic shit man. I've been getting out alot now that it is spring time (almost anyway). 

Maybe this thread should become a depository for epic nature pictures taken by blades. I'll post up the ones from my next adventure...

3. Sticky this! Great contribution:)

MelT