Explaining the spiritual side of smoking to a non-smoker

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by jpb, Mar 23, 2009.

1. How would I do this?

2. "Spirituality" refers to the realm of the soul, and the true identity of reality behind what is merely physical. Spirituality is an attempt made by humans, who are egoic by nature, to view their life without the ego. This can mean appreciating the beauty of silence, or exploring what you feel is your soul.

When we are trapped by our egos, trapped in our habits, and behaviors and perceptions that we've developed through out our entire lives we can stumble into these patterns where we are so certain of how things work and how we should work with them. We don't question why? Why are we doing the things we are doing? Why are others doing these things? What does this mean for all of us in the end?

There is a experience that takes us by the hand and gently turns our head towards these questions. It can only be achieved when we view reality in a way that isn't like what we've done all our lives.

In the scheme of the hustle and bustle of regular life, breaking down in tears and worshiping nature is not pragmatically rewarding. It doesn't clean the house, or pay the bills, or give more time.

But when you've never seen nature before, when you've been given a new pair of eyes, then it becomes the most unspeakable and incomprehensible divine beauty you've ever seen. This pair of eyes has never come into this world before. It sees this in all things. What the old eyes fear, the new eyes can take a second look from an objective, untainted perspective.

People who almost lose their lives, have near death experiences, and are given another chance, find these new eyes.

People who meditate and explode into a state of new found illumination, find these new eyes.

People who are diagnosed terminal, and have but months to live, are given these new eyes.

Lastly, cannabis and other psychedellics give people these new eyes. They allow people to see the world from a perspective that they've never experienced. They can question things they didn't know they could question. They reach thoughts that otherwise may never have been thought of.

It is not the plants themselves that give people a spiritual experience, because otherwise everyone at weekend house parties would be chanting Om chords and sitting in the lotus positition. It is the intention of the user that directs the experience.

Like Terrrence McKenna said, pschedellics are to psychology as the telescope is to astronomy.

3. #3 kannabiskid, Mar 23, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
    if i were talking to a non-smoker right now i would say something like this...

smoking expands your mind in a way i can't explain to you, because you have to experience it for yourself to truly understand. but to me it is like... the force. i can appreciate that all of the people, plants, and animals around me share one incredible miracle, life. i am able to sense that we are all surrounded by our surroundings and therefore are the surroundings for others. i am as much a part of your universe as you are a part of mine. regardless of whether this universe is existing in actuality, or it is merely a dream, we are all part of this universe. we are spun into the web of space time. you are able to change the universe with every step you take and every word you say. EVERYTHING is connected. i feel free to ponder the questions nobody has answers to. when i am high, i am free. i can think with the beautifully untouched mind we are all born with. before we are pumped full of other peoples opinions... corrupted by our surroundings. everyone is always worrying over the freedom of speech, but who gives a damn about speech when you don't have freedom to think.

and then i would take him/her into the other room, sit them down on a comfy chair, turn on some bone thugs, and pass them a blunt

and chill :smoke:

EDIT: damn madrid, i didn't read your post until after i posted. we both have the same basic view on this topic

4. You say, just try it with me once, if you trust me.

Then tell them to make an hour long CD of their absolute favorite music.

Then tell them you're going to smoke and listen to it with them.

And then talk to them as they're experiencing this new way of perceiving what they once thought they knew. :)

5. I dont think there is any. Unless theres a spiritual side to making cat-nip tea aswell =\

6. You can't. Non-smokers won't understand, or they'll think you're rationalizing your habit. You have to experience it to really get it.