Explain VPN's

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by The Moon, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Hello world! Its my first post and my first thread.

I was wondering if anybody could explain Virtual Private Networks in layman terms. I am somewhat new to computer and networks and all that good stuff.
    What is LAN? Or WAN? How do they differ?

2. LAN: Local Area Network, which is to say two or more computers and/or devices hooked up as a network in one physical location through one controller. Usually a DHCP enabled router.

VPN: A tunneling protocol that a computer or device use to hook up to a remote LAN via some other network, usually the internet.

WAN: Wide Area Network. Can be many things, but usually refers to a distributed LAN, as in a corporate network where many locations may have their own LAN, but they are connected together to service the entire organization under one umbrella so that all have access to the same IT resources no matter where in the organization it may be stored. Usually connected via a permanent VPN, sometimes even via dedicated lines.

3. Zylark's explanation is good so I'll just lay out an example scenario.

Your company has two offices: New York and Phoenix.

Each office has its own LAN. That means all the devices in that office are all on the same network, and they can talk to each other. But the two offices cannot talk to each other.

Jim is in New York and he needs a file from Mary's computer in Phoenix. Because Jim's only connection to Mary's computer is through the Internet, the firewall in Phoenix blocks his incoming connection. We all know the Internet cannot be trusted, after all.

That's where the VPN comes into play. The VPN connects the two offices over the Internet and encrypts all the data between then. That way, the firewall is able to recognize that the request is coming through the VPN tunnel (which is a trusted source, whereas the Internet is not). It allows Jim to connect to Mary's computer.

By connecting the two LANs with a VPN tunnel, your company has now created its own WAN.

Hope that helps!

4. LAN: two or more computers are hooked up together with wires

VPN (for use as privacy): your computer connects to the internet through another computer. When you go to a webpage, the site thinks you are located and using the comp you're connected to; not your own. This hides where you are located and encrypts your data so your internet service provider cannot see what you are doing.

Hopefully this is layman enough :)

5. Well, it is not actually true, or at least, accurate.

A LAN need not be wired for one thing, and your example of a VPN fits more a proxy than what VPN usually is used for.

Though you can remote-browse via VPN, it is not really optimal and more anonymous alternatives exist. And it is not really tracking-safe as the VPN recipient will keep a log, including all you do when browsing through it.

I don't want to get technical, but keeping ones digital footprint to a minimum is really hard. It require a lot of knowledge and a lot of work-arounds. There is no simple solution.

My best advice is, don't have anything to hide. Works very well.

6. #6 fluge, Dec 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2012
    Any helpful thoughts for the OP? Nothing you've just wrote is in layman's terms. What I wrote is for the benefit of the computer illiterate.

7. #7 Zylark, Dec 8, 2012
    What you wrote is at best inaccurate, and what I wrote is as layman as it gets. I'm sorry, I don't mean to make you look bad or anything, but a tip for future reference is don't pose as you know more than you do.

I know, I come off as arrogant because I need to correct you. But when it comes to networking, I know what I am talking about. I charge a pretty sum per hour hooking up various networks for AV use doing live broadcast. It is not easy, there is a lot of hurdles. Getting past them require a lot of little tricks and a good knowledge of requisite protocols. What they can and can not do.

If it was simple, I could not pay my rent :)

edit:

fluge's response, via PM... not very polite mind you...

Quite. Hmmmm.

Normally I don't disclose anything from PMs, but if someone is telling me to fuck off, all bets are off :)

8. lol

someone is mad apparently.

I am using a VPN for my own privacy so I know what I'm talking about. It's easier for me to use and fits well for what I need it for so what I wrote about VPN's is quite true and accurate. Not all VPN's keep logs either.

As fas as LAN's, when the average joe thinks of LAN, he thinks of a computer lab where all the comps are hooked together. Not sure what's so hard to understand about that. "remote-browse via VPN," wtf is that? Not layman's terms.

9. Quite OK. You are still by and large wrong though. And I am not mad in the slightest. I am not the one who fired off a PM telling someone to fuck off. I was the recipient remember.

If I ever tell you to fuck off, you can say that I am mad or angry or whatever. But I have done no such thing. You did though. I find it rather amusing that you who tell me to fuck off say that I am mad. Do you got issues?

I mean, seriously, grow up!

And learn your shit before trying to pose as someone who know anything about networking :)

10. Intense.

Wow guys good job!

But yeah i guess you cant simplify something like networking.

11. #11 fluge, Dec 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2012
    please, cry some more?

I had a problem with you, so I sent you a pm like a man to keep the bullsh*t out of the thread. You, like the cowardly bitch you are, come and post it anyways with who knows what intentions. I'll say it again, f*ck off.

Name-Calling/Disrespect is not allowed here. - KSR

12. #12 Zylark, Dec 8, 2012
    *Cough*

I find it a bit funny that a simple thread about various networking protocols and terms can divulge into, well, whatever you are doing.

Whatever your issue is, it ends here. I am not going to argue with you, no point really.

I tried to be helpful in this thread, all I did. I'm not here to argue anything.

I can perfectly well fuck off as you wish me to. No problem. But then again, not really me who got a problem either...

13. Bahahahahahaha
    Reported! :p

14. A vpn in essence is a tunnel through the internet cloud from one LAN to another. The tunnel is encrypted so anyone who intercepts wont be able to read it. Well the average person at least.

A common term for vpn is 'tunneling'. If you think about it you have a virtual network when you create the tunnel to the other network.

I'm blazed hope it makes sense, plus i'm on my phone. PM me if you need computer help at all.

15. VPN, which means "Virtual Private Network", is a secure method of connecting to a remote network, such as logging into an office server from your home. If the VPN is setup to do so, it can also act as a relay for web requests (not unlike a proxy), and be your virtual IP address in the United States. There are some distinct advantages that a VPN has over a proxy, most notably the ability to relay data for most Internet applications without special configuration.

POSITIVE: Works with most programs that access the Internet (browsers, chat programs, email clients); Can be configured to encrypt your Internet traffic (which makes activities like public WiFi connections more secure).You can be in touch with your current IP from IP-Details.com
    WAN-Wide Area Network. Can be many things, but usually refers to a distributed LAN, as in a corporate network where many locations may have their own LAN, but they are connected together to service the entire organization under one umbrella so that all have access to the same IT resources no matter where in the organization it may be stored. Usually connected via a permanent VPN, sometimes even via dedicated lines.