Expert calls for marijuana to be legalised to reduce harm of binge drinking in teens

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by claygooding, Jul 9, 2013.

1. <div style="margin:0px;"><div style="margin:0px;"><div style="margin:0px;">Expert calls for marijuana to be legalised to reduce harm of binge drinking in teens 

[​IMG]
    Source: ThinkStock

</div></div>THE head of Australia's leading alcohol research body has called for marijuana to be legalised to reduce the harm of drinking.

Robin Room, director of the Centre for Alcohol Policy Research, says marijuana should be legalised under strict controls because the social harm associated with it was significantly less than from drinking.

"It makes sense to legalise marijuana in a controlled market," he told the Herald Sun yesterday. "We are in a situation where we need to look ahead. I think we need to have the discussion and it makes a lot of sense in terms of, among others, cutting down government costs to have a fairly highly controlled legal (cannabis) market and, while we are at it, tighten up the legal market of alcohol in the same way we tightened up the market of tobacco."
    Prof Room, a leading academic at Melbourne University, is funded by the Department of Human Services.
    </div> 
    In an ideal world, Prof Room said teens would not smoke marijuana or drink alcohol to excess.
    \nBut if an 18-year-old was going to use substances, he said they would likely land themselves in less trouble after using cannabis rather than bingeing on alcohol.
    \nTeens were "better off" on a mixture of booze and marijuana rather than just pure alcohol in social settings, he added. Alcohol was more dangerous than cannabis because it had a closer association with aggression and violence, loss of co-ordination and impacts on work and family life, he said.
    \n"Cannabis is not without harm but it's substantially less than alcohol and tobacco in terms of social harm," he said.
    \n"If you are adding the cannabis to an equal amount of alcohol, then in some ways you'd be probably less likely to be aggressive but it's a bad idea to add it on if you want to drive a car."
    \nProf Room said if marijuana were legalised, among the measures to control the use should be "state sellers" and "state stores" where sales were regulated. It should not be sold in supermarkets nor advertised on TV or at sporting matches.
    \nWhile Prof Room acknowledged many people would be "surprised" and even "bothered" by his stance, the statistics backed him up.
    \nThe controversial proposal comes as Melbourne continues to battle booze-fuelled violence, and alcohol-related hospital admissions soar for men and women.
    aleks.devic@news.com.au

2. \tDrug debate out of puff

TELLING teenagers they are better off smoking marijuana rather than bingeing on booze is a dangerous message.

Even more so because it comes from the head of the Centre for Alcohol Policy Research.
    Professor Robin Room believes late-night violence could be reduced and teens would be less aggressive.
    Teens would also be "better off" on a mixture of booze and marijuana rather than just alcohol.
    There are several problems with this message. It is complex and easily misunderstood. Many teenage drinkers would simply add marijuana to already heavy alcohol use.
    The professor is calling on the Victorian Government to legalise the drug for those over 18 and to tighten up alcohol and tobacco laws.
    But those under the age of 18 would be likely to regard this as an excuse for them to do the same.
    Prof Room admits smoking marijuana is "not without harm" but says this is "substantially less than that caused by alcohol and tobacco in terms of social harm".
    However, heavy marijuana use can cause long-term mental harm and and can lead to the use of harder drugs.
    Prof Room's message is an extremely confusing one to pass on to teenagers, even considering his recommendations for a highly controlled market, with those selling marijuana made to comply with strict licensing conditions.
    Legalisation of marijuana was widely debated in Victoria in the 1990s when decriminalisation was advocated in the Penington Report.
    The report proposed decriminalising the use and cultivation of small amounts of marijuana for personal use.
    It was said this would break the nexus between people seeking out drug dealers and being introduced to harder drugs.
    But it became obvious decriminalising marijuana did not have broad support and would not pass Parliament.
    There is no reason to think public attitudes have changed. In 2013 the message needs to be alcohol in moderation, not putting another harmful substance on top of it.

3. It's only "controversial" to the truly uninformed or those with special interests who fear the cash cow drying up.
    Australia has had some very regressive laws I've seen mentioned here and other places regarding cannabis. Good to see something resembling sanity coming out of the Aussies.

4. The editorial response to the researchers suggestion tells it all in the first sentence:

TELLING teenagers they are better off smoking marijuana rather than bingeing on booze is a dangerous message.

Why would telling the truth  be dangerous,,only if you have been making up the harms.

5. #5 flickyourbic, Jul 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2013
    I stopped drinking because I constantly felt like shit, constantly made poor decisions and absolutely hated how I felt and pretty much hated myself when I was drunk. 

Complete opposite with marijuana. I'm productive when I need to be, always happy when stoned... 

6. This. Shit like this makes me infuriated. How can someone literally sit there and think that telling teens to smoke cannabis is WORSE then having drinking underage a socially accepted thing? Are they mentally ill? Do they have no brain? Do they not know that thousands of teens die a year because of alcohol, not cannabis? People like this need a hefty hefty hefty punch in the face because that is some shitty parenting.

"Hey! Let's make our kids think that underage drinking is safer and more socially accepted than marijuana! I'd rather have them drive drunk then high, golly! I'd rather them make stupid decision after stupid decision, fuck anything that moves while drunk, and end up with a baby and/or in a jail! I'd also rather them have far more serious health risks!"  

7. I'm SO lucky to have survived my first drinking binge at age 14. I think I drank 6 beers and about half a fifth of vodka.
    I only weighed about 140 pounds at the time. I couldn't stand or talk.

My first experience at that age with pot? Happy,laughing, getting the munchies. And not doing it again until after I graduated H.S., as I could see the daily users at that age DID lack motivation. Gateway? Maybe to SANITY...

8. #8 GreenRush, Jul 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2013
    YEAH FUCKING STRAYA!!!! FUCK YEAH STRAYA!!!

I hope this happens. So sick of seeing drunk 12 year olds screaming at Macca's workers when I come out the club early in the morning.

9. It just effects people different, I was 15 weighed about 50 kgs, drank a whole bottle, was black out drunk and got arrested.

Haha same thing for me. I actually got stoned first before binge drinking. Got high for the first time on new years my sophomore year in high school. Same thing happy, munchies, etc. Three months later I started to drink an entire handle of captain morgan in a hottub one night. At the time my stupid ass doctor had me on Zoloft and I was not aware that alcohol would pretty much fuck you up. Blacked out multiple times and vomitted for hours if I recall correctly. Asked my own mother "who the fuck are you"? 

I'm just lucky I had friends and family who took care of me. There are many kids out there who don't and those are the ones dying from alcohol poisoning or choking on their own vomit. 

11. First drunk,,17 and in the Army serving in Germany,,got drunk pn potato whisky called Stienheger,,managed to get back to barracks from the roadhouse and spent the night talking to Ralph in his porcelain castle and hungover for two days.,

First high,,18 serving in Viet Nam,,sat on sandbags and bayed at the full moon that was so huge I thought it was falling from the sky..slept like a baby and no hangover,,I was sold. 

12. #12 lightnup, Jul 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2013
    First drunk 12, threw up, blacked out, passed out, in my neighborhood(don't start out with Bacardi 151)!

First high, 6 months later, no ill effects, happy hungry, felt great, still does!