Experiments in Curing Cannabis

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by PoiBoy79, Oct 27, 2018.

1. If you research tobacco curing, specifically cigar making, these crystallized deposits are known as "bloom". They are from the breakdown of olis /resins and salts deposited on the outsides. I can take recent pictures that show it has further crystallized - it can't be scratched off - its hard as a rock. Mold always comes with a certain smell, which is not present with these cobs. Thanks for your concern, and know my health is top priority, if I wasn't 100% sure it wasn't mold is trash em

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. How long did they ferment?
    Did you use a corn husk?
    How is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  3. Howzit Hunt - technically this particular cob has fermented for a month plus....a lot longer than my others. Once you dry the cob until there is just a bit of moistness in the very middle (same as jar cured) you'd effectively halt the fermentation and enter the cure/ageing process. I used corn husk on all including this one...I have one that I didnt use curn husk and just compressed it in the vac bag. I haven't tried one yet. This thread is real time, so I expect to try some of the earlier cobs within a week. I'll post that soon. I did try a "canary bud" which is a bud I throw in the bag loose to hang out with the cobs, and the results are promising - a super clear effect that cut right through another high that I was coming down from.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Very neat and appears you have a good idea as to what you’re doing. I’d like more info for sure.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Absolutely Amazing!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. #26 PoiBoy79, Dec 19, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
    I've been following Frenchy Cannoli a bit and through my experiments with the dehydrator and vac bags, I made what I believe to be my best hash to date.
    I plan on making a much larger amount soon which I will document with pictures.
    I went with simple materials I had on hand. I mashed up untrimmed dried popcorn nugs over a t-shirt screen set over parchment. I took the resulting kief and placed it in a vac bag and vacuumed sealed it. I cranked my dehydrator to the highest setting @155F and set for 10hrs. After an hour I checked on it and the bag had puffed slightly, and resin seemed to have started changing color and got softer. I took and rolling pin and made a few passes on both sides. Threw it back in for the remainder. Checked on it the next day. Bag was puffed out to the max. Unsealed it and the smell was beautiful. It had become pliable and looked like true hash. I went over it a few more times with the rolling pin and then packed a bowl. It had that nice rich hash taste and the effect was relaxing in the body and sharp in the mind. My two friends agreed it was potent and lit us up with a small amount. No come-down. I sealed it back up to age. Think I just found an easy AF way to make old school pressed hash my friends.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Howzit friends been awhile - happy New Year!
    So's I still haven't gotten around to another batch of hash - my freezer is full and I want to freeze everything for the next big batch. Will be coming soon.
    Hey I tried a piece of the Queen Mother
    yesterday in a joint shared by four heads. Effect was Nice, the taste was very similar to the way it smells but without the brinyness. The high was a good clean effect that was potent and had legs! I think I should be more patient and let it dry out a little before I smoke her next time, I bet she would hit even harder.
    Here's how she looks from my shitty phone cam -
    [​IMG][​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  8. Yea i agree....
    maybe not though. I think you’d have to take to a lab to truly find out.

9. Waz up PoiBoy?????

I pulled a few branches out of the drying room today after 3 days,trimmed a bit and rolled two 1oz COB’s in parchment paper,tied well and vacuum sealed um then into the sous vide at 98F. for 18 hours.

Any tips to adjust at this point?
    I also found a $2 sushi bamboo roller handy to compress/roll the 28 gram COB’s.

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 2
  10. Once the sweating,fermentation,drying and curing is done is it best for long term storage to again vacuum seal and freeze or refrigerate?

And if using less than a year are Bovita 62% in jars the way to go?

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 3
  11. @ocitown

Congrats on the start! Exciting times ahead brah
    I've seen smaller size cobs and ones wrapped in parchment come out killer. Those sushi mats are sweet. Remember those musubi presses? Can make your own little Mexican brick lol

When you dry the cob after the cure for the ageing, leave just a little moisture in the middle just as you would with jar cured. At that point, the vacuum seal will preserve the cob in that state almost indefinitely. I find Bovedas unnecessary, but if I did use them, this is the point I would add them.

My cobs are ageing in vac sealed bags placed in my 5 gallon food grade buckets w/gamma lids. I highly recommend those, you can store a lot of weed in airtight darkness. I filled 6 this year lol.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Hey any links to one of these food grade buckets and lids?i think I can get all my yummys in one.

13. 434FCDAD-A8DE-40E4-B0C3-520A70C3D047.png Like this.....
    Would be cool if I could find a lil vacuum check valve for it!

14. yeah man that would be cool...you can Macguyver up a vacuumed curing chamber. I just got all of mine at Lowe's while I was buying some gardening stuff. They don't have the fun colors though....so
    But it was cheaper than using Amazon fo sho

• Like Like x 1
  15. Cool,I’ll check Lowe’s first

16. Finally my back room holds a 63% Rh and 63f. so this harvest should dry well for 7-11 days.
    Most of it went in last Friday,the rest last Monday and I added a fan on low to circulate the moist air.
    Seems to be right on the money,last October drying took only 4 days!

Pulled the COB’s out of 100f. Sous Vide at 20 hours,opened with no real droplets so I re vac sealed um and put them up into the frig compressor cubby hole which is about 75F constantly.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Right on oci!
    Throw up some pics if you got some
    Did you open the bag and take a whiff after the sweat? What strain is it? Curious stoners want to know!

18. It was more of a combo of WIFi,Harborside and several buds which came off while washing.

Should have givin it a sniff,so is a month the preferred time in there before I dry it some?

19. Salads are cool
    What you're doing now in the cubby is considered the 'ferment' stage. Shoot for about a week. Periodically check it to see how the ferment is changing it. There will be an unmistakable sickly sweet briny smell. You want to pay attention to the smells - you want to enhance the character of it, not ferment it until its totally unrecognizable. When it is at its most appealing to you - that will tell you when to stop and start drying.

• Like Like x 1
  20. So open the bag and smell,not cut the string?