Experimental fogponics

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by MiloTheDog, Jan 26, 2014.

1. What up GC, I've been working on a fogponic setup. Here's what I have so far, take a look. I still need to light proof everything but here I'm doing a test run. It's going to be used to flower two clones at a time for a perpetual harvest. Tomato clones of course...

Attached Files:

2. For those who use fogponics, what problems have you ran into? Also, what do your feeding schedules look like? I'm thinking 30mins on 30mins off. The fog box drains itself once the water pump is turned off, will this cause problems for the fogger if it's not submerged the entire time? I think my fan might be a little strong; the fog is pushing through the net pots. Thanks GC. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. #3 dishphead, Jan 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2014
    I would just run it 24 hours. you don't have to worry about not enough oxygen with fogponics, so I'd say it might be better to just run it all the time. also, I'd say drain the fogbox back into the res box, so you don't have to worry about the fan being too powerful, wasting nutrients/water, etc. just keep the res slightly below and run a tube that allows the runoff plus excess pressure back into your res.

4. Right on, thanks for the info. I'll see if I can recirculate the fog back somehow. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. #5 smokey1985, Mar 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2014
    I have also been running an experimental fogponics grow with a system very similar to yours.

I am struggling.

Despite all the research I've done the plants roots just don't seem to want to grow into the fog. I have no idea why. My best guess at this point is that I've been using tap water instead of distilled. I live in a very remote area and getting distilled water all the time seems like a big hassle but I can try that if people think it will make the difference for me.

current set up:

5gal bucket with about 3gal tap water, PH'd around 5.8-6.4
    very light GH veg/micro
    3 single head foggers with float
    2 drain pipes and a fan on the lid pumping the fog into totes.

The plants show signs of nut deficiencies bad. The roots have become a slimy green mostly on the main tap root. But the other roots that barly pop out of the hydroton are extremely fuzzy and healthy looking...they just aren't growing.
    The main tap roots are there because I had them in DWC for about a week until I remade the fog system and put them back in that.
    I have some seedlings going now in one of the totes started in 2in rockwool cubes. They look healthy enough for about 5 days old. They have a tap root about a half inch out of the cube into the fog but it has not grown for the last couple days. I fear they will do the same thing as the first attempt and just not grow into the fog.

sorry no pics don't have a good camera.

any advice?

6. Your setup looks pretty cool man how is it working for you