Experimental Cure Using Boveda

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by gillybillybean, May 19, 2013.

1. Ouch!  :eek:  :cry:

2. I have been using these for the past year for curing. Love them.

I've yet to go from trim to jar but will definitely be trying it. My "drying room" is...shitty, so the less steps the better!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. I use these just as peace of mind. I do exactly what I always did but put these in with now just in case.

4. Burping is counter productive to the curing process, as every time you let in air, the bacteria that was feeding on the chlorophyll is now feeding on the oxygen again. Creating a longer curing process. Once you start drying, curing begins. Once you jar, you should already be in the cure zone and there won't be a need to burp. Check it after a week and if there's any smell of ammonia check it after another week until it's gone. Once it's gone you don't need to burp til 6+ weeks and ready to smoke :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. I agree completely. I have been smoking for 14 years and are just about to launch my first grow. I have invested quite a lot as I have seen too many of my friends do an half-ass job with their grows throughout the years and I intend to do it right. I see no point in investing anything into something I love and not invest sufficiently to reach the best results possible. And right now I'm researching curing as there seem to be a lot of conflicting statements and information about this issue. There also seem to be a huge lack of scientific research into this, at least it's quite hard to find on the web. So if anyone here has any tips regarding professional literature on curing I'd love to find out.

Anyway, the only reason you burp your jars (this is as far as I've understood it - so please, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) is because you've got excess moisture in there that needs to escape, otherwise you run the risk of mold forming which would ruin your entire harvest. I have been searching for an exact number for RH in the jars, a safe level that ensures there aren't any risks of mold and at the same time keeps the buds sufficiently moist in order for the anaerobic bacteria to do its job. Before finding Boveda's website I had only found approximate numbers. Some said between 55% - 60% RH and some said 55% - 65% RH. This of course gives you a ballpark idea but I'd like to get an even more precise number as this is the most crucial part in growing cannabis. If you don't get the curing right you may end up with coarse bushweed that tastes awful or you might even lose the entire harvest to mold. So Boveda's website is the first place I actually found a precise number - 62% RH.

So knowing this exact RH and knowing that their product intended for cannabis specifically will keep this level - I don't understand why anyone here is buying other Boveda packs with a higher % of RH, OR why anyone keeps burping!? I can understand that it's hard not opening the jars just to get a quick smell now and then but to open the jars for 5 minutes or more!? Or even take out the buds to turn them etc. seem to be quite the waste if all I know about curing is correct.

Am I right or have I completely misunderstood the entire curing process?

Also, like you all probably know - "RH" stands for Relative Humidity, relative to the temperature - so what temperature should there be while curing? This is quite essential to know for the 62% RH to be relevant.
    /Captain Greenbeard

6. So Ive read a good amount of info from this thread and others, but whay Im still confused on is..

When and how long do you leave the vacume open for (as in opening the valve that starts to move the meter from 0-30) ... Also when/why do you close the valve and keep it at the 30 its at.. is it still pulling butane while its closed or do you leave it open the whole time?

?????

You in the right thread, bro?

Sounds like you're making concentrates?

8. #48 RaJay, Dec 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2014
    Shoot.. mybad I am! Faded.....

9. Not just excess moisture. The fresh air is what helps breaks down chlorophyll and allows the carbs and sugars change the weed's complexion and flavors as well as fight the bacterias to prevent molds. Also it (air exchange) allows those bacteria that feed on chlorophyll. One side effect of this decay process if you will is the continued release of additional moisture and gasses. It will not kill your weed to check it once a month until the 6 month period or so. After that most consider long term cures then go vacuum sealing or freezing. people have hit the early curing points.

My current stock has buds going back to JUL 2014. The youngest is 9 DEC or so.

It can be a catch 22. Opening at some point is in fact counter productive but it is not destructive. If you ever feel you are losing the war, smoke the shit out of it and share before it become a hash candidate.

10. Ok, thanks but this just got even more confusing :confused: . I thought the bacteria that breaks down the chlorophyll were anaerobic?... And that means they do their thing in an air free environment so letting air inside would then be completely counterproductive. Like I said in my last post it is still necessary to let air inside because you need to get that excess moisture out but if you could use Boveda's product to take care of this part then there shouldn't be any reason to open the jars at all.

But what you're saying is that the bacteria needs air in order to break down chlorophyll, which in that case means it's an aerobic bacteria?

11. I am pulling this off of reading from 20 years ago, so if I have it wrong I would not be surprised. you are dealing with a couple purposes and phases of the breakdown of chlorophyll, and the prevent of BAD bacteria while allowing good bacteria to thrive. I did state it would be counter productive at later stages, but not initial stages. And while at later stages its counter productivity does not mean detrimental or destructive. Just no significant gains.

12. #52 waktoo, Dec 24, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2014

Well, if that ain't science I don't know what is...  :rolleyes:

13. So... Initially it's good to burp the jars because the fresh air fights the "bad" bacteria that could create mold, but after a while (how long/what level of achieved RH?) there's no need to burp as it would just slow down the anaerobic bacteria?

14. Let's hear it folks! In very intrigued as my last harvest ended up very dry and smelt of hay. Major bummer. Dropped down to like 40% RH in a week. So I certainly use the Boveda packs for my next Berry bomb and Bubbleicious harvest in 3 weeks. I'm subbed.