$Expensive First Time Grow$

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by Twiztedkidd86, May 7, 2016.

1. OK. I'm a little late to the party. I started my very first mj grow on February 26th. I started researching how to do this on the Internet and it's been going and growing fantastic. At first I set my limit at 2g. But after I got into it and the started growing, I kept researching how to do this right. And hopefully I am. I think I am anyways. So here goes. I did go overboard on the spending but this has turned into a passion lol. So here's a walk through of my whole setup. And keep in mind this was all a bare attic with nothing in it but insulation and rafters. So here it is.
    [​IMG]
    Top of the stairs
    [​IMG]
    Sitting area lol
    [​IMG]
    Veg Tent
    [​IMG]
    Command Center!
    [​IMG]
    Inside the veg Tent
    [​IMG]
    Home Made T5 4ft 8 bulb ho[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Work Area
    [​IMG]
    Advanced Nutrients
    [​IMG]
    Watering Thingy I built with a wand powered by a washing machine pump to make watering easier and it does
    IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160507/ffdbc818f0692e60cc98c8895aaa0381.jpg[/IMG]
    And This is my flower room. My pride and joy. This room is insulated with R19 all the way around. Floor, ceiling and walls. Then the floor, ceiling and walls were covered with R5 1" Polystyrene 4x8 sheets that had every joint packed with commercial window sealant, and then all of that was covered with 1/2" Plywood. Then after that I covered all the Plywood with R5 IR barrier so I wouldn't give off heat signatures lol. I know. Overboard.
    [​IMG]
    And here are the girls, Pineapple Express, Blue Dream, Chemdog, Critical +, Double Black and White Widow 3 weeks into flower under 4 600w air cooled hps lights. [​IMG]
    There are 2 fans. One up top (8") and this one here (6") is dedicated to cooling lights. [​IMG]
    And here's the 8 up top just in case
    [​IMG]
    Controlled by a Mercury 4 fan controller
    [​IMG]
    And the only air that gets in goes through 2 26x18" 3M 1900 micron filters.
    [​IMG]
    I love this incredibly strong flex duct I got online. It's incredibly strong
    [​IMG]
    Perfectly healthy. No signs of deficiency. This Advanced Nutrients lineup makes things easier since it's my first Grow. I do grow a 1 acre outdoor vegetable garden every year tho.[​IMG]
    Blue Dream is frosting up
    [​IMG]
    Chemdog looks amazing. I had no idea they showed this many trichomes this early into flowering. I'm only on the second day of the 3rd week
    [​IMG]
    Temps are OK I think. So this is it. Let me know what you think. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G920V using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 2
  2. Wow. Great looking setup! Best of luck to ya!

Smoke good, eat good, feel good!

• Like Like x 1
  3. 88's a little hot, they will slow down a bit. It's not going to kill them or anything though. My tent hits 86 on hot days, i can see the slow down. They move pretty fast in the dwc buckets.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Your setup looks great and you'll never regret spending the money to do it right. You've also certainly done your homework as far as learning the "how to grow" end of things judging by your beautiful plants. CONGRATULATIONS!!! You, my friend, are one of few who come through here (that I see) who bothered to learn about that end of things too before they ended up with some plants growing that they didn't know how to take care of. LOL We converted a bedroom and dropped 4K in one day on equipment and still didn't have everything we needed. I only agreed to start this if it was done properly, safely and right...and that don't come cheap in the growing world. LOL However, the only thing we've ever had an issue with as far as our equipment and setup goes was timers. I couldn't find a timer anywhere near me that could withstand the stress that one handling those lights could take and that I could trust my grow to...I tried every different type, brand, etc. Finally, I just got sick of dealing with it and hubs built me a timer setup using a timeclock and we've never had anymore issues about our lights coming on or going off at the correct times daily. That might be something you want to keep a very close eye on if you started off with one of those from your local box store. I bet I went through 10 or 12 different ones and they all failed. I had way too much riding on those things to risk it. I don't see anything going on that looks off or wrong to me and the lounge chair is most definitely a nice touch. LOL I totally get it when you say it's become a "passion." I've got it too...we all do. And the great thing is that you never have to hunt for good quality bud again and you obviously are growing enough to earn back any expense you incurred in the beginning. I know that once I got up and running and actually learned how to do this, it took me no time to get my investment back...plus. I give a lot of what I grow away and sell a little to help out around the house. My husband was in a near fatal car accident back in 09 and is now permanently disabled and living on a fixed income isn't exactly the life of Riley. The oil really helps him with pain, so a lot of what I grow gets cooked down into oil. But it's something we both enjoy doing and we live in a great location to do it here. I had wanted to try it for years, but you just don't start something like that while you have teenagers in the house, so when our boys married and left home and after the wreck, it was the right time. I bet we've got well over 10K all in all in that room, but I've earned it all back over the years and everything short of the power bill and soil (I don't do hydro), is pure profit at this point. However, the most important piece of advice I can give you is that YOU CAN'T TRUST ANYBODY these days. People's word means nothing anymore, so be darn careful who you let know what you've got going on there and never let anything out of your sight that you're not willing to lose either. We definitely live in a messed up world these days and people will kill you over nothing, so just be overly cautious about who you deal with. But hey, other than that, keep up the good work. You should end up with some super nice buds there. Remember that the size and density of your buds is directly proportional to the amount of good strong lighting they get during the flower cycle. Be careful not to try and flower off so many plants at once that you rob some of them of that all important light. You have to be realistic about what these lights can actually handle. Most have no clue how many plants one light will support and try to flower too many at once. We flower with 1000 watt hps, 4 per room, and about 5 or 6 plants is all I'll flower with one light. But you've done an excellent job and I truly commend you on that!! TWW

• Like Like x 2
  5. Thanks for the kind words and advice. It's appreciated. And for the light controllers, I was pondering back and forth as to what timer I wanted. And I settled with a 240v 40amp industrial timer. I hard wired it in. 2 year warranty, and no electronics to fail. It's mechanical . Here it is
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    It's Alot better than those Damn plug in one's. So far so good. I'm 29.My kids are still in the house and young. The garage is off limits. There's a coded keypad on the outside door to get in that my wife and I are the only ones who have the code. Then you have to get through a reinforced double locked door to get up the stairs. And then the flower room is locked as well. There's my black lab always in the garage downstairs only, and she goes in and out through a steel dog door that only releases to open when the transponder on her collar is within 1ft of the door and automatically locks when she's through. So I think I'm pretty secure. And 4 security cameras that are hardwired to the DVR upstairs that I can remotely watch from anywhere from my cell or laptop and I get text notifications whenever motion is detected. Which gets annoying sometimes because of the puppy.

• Like Like x 2
  6. I think the 88 degrees was from the short increase when I moved the fan controller. Normally it doesn't go above 80. The only downside to this operation is that the wife's parents do not know about my paradise upstairs lol. But they know I smoke and Im legal. But they don't know I'm growing. But they will when the a/c starts running when it gets warmer out. I don't know how to hide that noise. You can't hear the fans or anything downstairs, but the a/c can be heard. It's a 12,000btu Frigidaire that really kicks out the cold. For now while it's cold out, I have a thermostat attic fan up to above the stairs that kicks on whenever it reaches 70 degrees in the main room where my two fans are ducted into

• Like Like x 1
  7. 0.0 all that money man... you have my attention. Really like your security. And maybe you can build a lung room for your ac unit?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Grasscity Forum mobile app

8. That's what I was thinking. Air Intake for the flower room is right above the stairs, 6 inches to the left of the a/c. I was thinking about boxing in the a/c and air intake in a 4x4 box and running 20 more feet of 6" and 8" duct to the 4x4 box to cool strictly the flower room and just run a small portable a/c in the main area for when I'm up there trimming or working. So that my big a/c is dedicated strictly to the flower room so it stays at optimal temps. And I have a brand new 50 pint frigidaire dehumidifier that I haven't even turned on yet. Haven't needed to.

9. by far the sickest setup ive seen in a min.
    love to see some harvest weight pics!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Thanks. I'm wondering what my yield will be. I have 2400w of hps above 7 plants. Any estimates considering the perfect grow environment?

11. [​IMG]

Filling up some ro water lol. My ro system will be ordered soon. The wife won't let me spend any more money:(

12. [​IMG]
    Filling up 50 gallons of ro water. Wife won't let me buy ro system yet. She said I was cut off lol

• Like Like x 1
  13. Here's what I plan on doing . [​IMG]I just bought this dude the filter screws in I'm going on modify 2 buckets put the filter in one bucket and let it drain into the other bucket and in going to hook up a toilet bowl float to it so it fills up when it needs too lol

• Like Like x 1
  14. What is that? Some sort of water filter I'm guessing.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Yea got it at Walmart for 16 bucks claims to remove all ppm it come with a cheap ppm tester too. They got ones you can hook up to your water lines in your house for like 50 bucks too

16. at least 500 gs a plant

• Like Like x 1
  17. Like dry lol? I was hoping for 2-3oz a plant.

• Like Like x 1
  18. [​IMG]
    Got all my supplies for trimming and drying. Now just the wait. Hardest part

19. [​IMG]

Next in line for flower. All 10 Gallon smart pots. 2 in Foxfarm Ocean forest and a base of subcool super soil. 3 in promix hp with Advanced Nutrients

20. [​IMG]

My outdoor ladies. All will be in 20 gallon pots with subcool super soil mix and ocean forest. BTW, Every plant I have has been topped and LST

• Like Like x 1