Expanding the description of the Recreational Marijuana forum.

Discussion in 'General Forum Feedback' started by agent0064life, Jan 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I believe that the Recreational forum description should be further elaborated or described better; I feel that there is a much broader spectrum of topics that are talked about on a regular basis in the forum. I feel that the current system of deleting topics that are out of place is not working, and will only cause the administrators at GrassCity to be put under more and more pressure to hire more and more moderators.

I can equate this to the current War on Drugs that America, and much of the world, has taken up. Drugs are eradicated over and over yet they still appear.

This is a forum full of people who like to enjoy cannabis... and one of the effects of cannabis may lead a person to post something in the wrong forum. This happens. Maybe a consolidation of sub forums needs to take place.

But (I feel) something needs to be done, because I hate logging into the forums and seeing the entire first page of posts as something I can't click on is kind of annoying, only seeing a few topics per page that have an active discussion.

2. yup, and they can all be discussed in General or Apprentice Tokers

The description shouldn't be changed but maybe the title should - to something like "Your Smoking Apparatus & What's In It" because Recreational Marijuana is (obviously) too vague lol

:smoking:

3. Seems pretty damned descriptive to me.

4. #4 agent0064life, Jan 4, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2009
    If we want to solely go by that description... I will sit day and night and flag every post that doesn't fit the bill... if it doesn't involve discussing a smoking apparatus, edibles, sharing pictures of these various smoking apparatuses and edibles, or recipes, I am going to flag it.

And by that description, way many more posts should be deleted than what already are.

http://forum.grasscity.com/recreational-marijuana-use/315955-watching-planet-earth-high.html

http://forum.grasscity.com/recreational-marijuana-use/315290-i-am-new-here-im-rasta.html

http://forum.grasscity.com/recreational-marijuana-use/315731-smart-smokers-speak-up.html

None of these three match the description.

5. #6 trikky, Jan 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2009
    You're not suggesting we change the description, you're suggesting we change the content allowed, right?

And it's true we don't get every thread out of there that shouldn't be in there, but we're doing damn well. We definitely would get them all if they were all reported. But they're not, so we have to go through ourselves and look and clean it up some. It seems to me that if you don't like the look of all the deleted threads, you should appeal to those people who choose to not read the forum descriptions or intentionally ignore them anyways.

The description of that particular forum is the most specific and descriptive of all the sections we have, and I don't think anything particularly needs to be changed other than people paying more attention to the rules and forum descriptions.

6. question on the subject - do the mods want blades to report posts in the wrong section

7. please for the love of god yes.

That saves us from having to go through and read each thread to make sure it is aloud in that forum.

Report Posts. PLEASE.

-BW

8. times 2.

9. Trik is right on the money. It is a very specific description. You post pics of your stash, talk about your smoking paraphernalia, even share recipes! :D
    It even says in the description that questions go in Apprentice Tokers. That's one a lot of people don't seem to notice.
    And if it's just a story about your day getting high... it goes in Real Life Stories. About activism or legalization? Put it in one of those forums.

It's really not hard at all.

I think the current amount of mods is working quite well at keeping Rec Use fairly clean. If you're going to point out other threads that don't belong, then report them and they'll get taken care of too. :p

I will triple that yes, yes, and definitely yes!

Reports make things so much easier. I never realized how incredibly useful they were to the mods until I became one, but they really are very helpful.

Report, report, report! :D
    (Only if it deserves it though, of course. ;))

10. Well, I feel that the legalization forum was given the short hand here. That isn't something that belongs in its own forum because it's something you want everyone to see. People naturally herd to the forum with the most traffic. If they knew there was an important topic in the legalization forum, maybe they would go. But the fact is, although activism has been moved near the top, that doesn't equate to traffic.

I feel that some things regarding legalization that are otherwise a rare opportunity need to be in the limelight a bit more, and I feel that there should be a bit more leeway in important issues.

As you may or may not already know, Change.org is having their final round of voting starting today, and we need all the votes we can get. In order to get the topic to the top, exposure to the topic must be increased. I feel that a small bit of sacrifice could possibly be done by the moderators on this particular subject for the greater good of mankind.

It's not every day you get a chance to help change the world.

11. dude, people who are interested in legalisation visit and post in the legalisation forum

people who want to show off their stash do so in the rec maj forum

you need to face up to the reality that there is a far higher percentage of people who visit GC for the "social" side of it than the "legalisation" aspect

I think we all understand what you are saying but there's a good reason for the different forums

remember, there are a lot of people who want a forum about legalisation without threads about homemade pieces all over the place - and, unfortunately, if you merged the two then you would get all the trolls and morons posting in the legalisation threads

it's got to be kept clean and simple dude - that's why you need to post in the right forums ;)

12. Well I tell you what, the first change.gov post that was made in the REC forum sure got a lot of attention: 17 pages before it got canned.

People care about it, but a lot of people won't actively seek it. If it happens to come across their path, sure they'll do something. A lot of people won't do something unless it's of extreme convenience to them.

13. I agree - but there has to be a line

why don't you ask RMJL to put a heading in the announcements bar for a particularly important petition or positive action that can be taken by members in another forum?

that would help direct people to the legalisation forum

14. You need to appeal to the people in this case.

15. I'm a firm believer in all things having their own place, especially in message boards. The agenda here is clear (though it's a cause I believe in, the ends do not justify the means). You want more people to view your thread, that's fine. But to subvert the entire premise of a forum JUST for your one thread makes no sense at all.

Let it go.

Once again, if you want to run a message board your way, start your own.

16. I am not demanding anything. This is merely a place to post feedback and that's what I'm doing.

17. I would equate this situation to something along the lines of a local television network.

Right now, the TV network is airing Days of our lives, or another television show. But look, a suddenly large amount of tornadoes have appeared in the area. In many circumstances, that is when the scrolling marquee appears on the bottom of the screen explaining the situation.

It doesn't really interrupt what is going on in the show, but it is important enough to get it's own attention for a little while.

18. dude are you mega fucking stoned or something - this isn't a tv station - it's a forum

let it go

19. I fail to see how either of those two analogies are actually valid. As I previously said, your idea about spreading the news is right, but you cannot subvert the entire focus of a forum just to fit your one-time issue.

You would have been better off PMing a moderator and asking them to post an announcement on EVERY forum that would be at the top of the forums.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.