Expand on rep

Discussion in 'General Forum Feedback' started by Mogwai, Oct 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. #1 Mogwai, Oct 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2011
    Another suggestion here.

I feel like you get the max amount of green gems from rep somewhat fast. To get the max amount of green gems you need something like 1.4k rep or so I think. I might be off a little bit, but either way it's not an insanely high number and there are a lot of users who are well beyond that. But it seems odd there's no real difference in having 1.5k rep and having 10k rep. I know adding a higher max gem count isn't really reasonable because you don't want the area where they're displayed to get crowded.

What if you guys started adding new simple perks for users who reach insanely high rep counts? Maybe create a usergroup that opens up at different rep levels that carry colored names? Such as 3k rep = ability to have a blue name, 5k rep = ability to have purple, 10k rep = whatever color. The colors used don't really matter, but it seems like a neat way to let people who have super high rep showoff.

Granted I know we have new rep titles or whatever they're called unlock after reaching max gems (i.e "has been around the city"). but even these don't cover much ground in my opinion and most people don't even notice them anyway since you basically have to take time and check a users title to see it. Hell, a handful of people have said they didn't even know they exist o_O

2. I think they do that on allot of other forums and it works fine, i think this is a great idea.

3. It sounds like a good suggestion however this may require many changes in current reputation system. I am taking a note on this and will investigate in future to see if it is possible or not.

4. Yeah a site I go to does something like this. First you unlock a red colored name and then you can unlock a bold red colored name. On that site they use usergroups and once you reach X rep the usergroup becomes available to join in the CP. I don't think they had to actually do any changing to the rep system itself, just groups

I THINK they use the same forum type as GC. But I didn't set it up myself so I may be wrong

¯\(_o)/¯

5. How did you guys get different color names then?

6. Donations I'd assume.

I think Mogwai has a good idea, if not something like that then maybe there could be different rep symbols, once you fill up the green bars it changes to something else and you gotta fill those up.

edit: And it can be done, pretty much anything can. You just need somebody with the coding experience unless an add-on is already made.

7. Like call of duty ranks? haha.

8. The site I was talking about has it set so you get light red names at so much rep, then red bold names with more rep. Then it goes on to blue/bold blue with more rep/longer join dates. There was a specific color that you could only get from donating though too.

9. That probably wouldn't be possible, because we already have red names, i just don't think we should do username color changes in relation to Reputation. We do have user groups though so i guess they could.

What would be good is when we get max amount of bars so that's 11 i think, gold bars start replacing the first bars so eventually you will have like all gold bars or something :D

And i'm not talking about orange bars i'm talking like shiny yellow/gold bars

10. Thanks for the suggestions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.