Exhaust Question/help

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by MostlyReputable, Jan 22, 2016.

1. I setup my tent, problem is, I would like to decide if I need to drill 1 or 2 holes in my ceiling, as I would prefer to only drill one. I will have both the carbon filter exhaust as well as the hood exhaust coming out of the tent going up into the attic. I would like to use a Y connector to combine them for one airflow out.
    -Will this make the fans work harder to push/pull air?
    -Is this plausible? As I said, I would like to not have to drill 2 holes.
    -If not, what would you recommend?

2. Yea it will make the fan worker harder. Just make sure you have a powerfull enough fan. Try it. What you got to lose other than a bit plaster board in your ceiling lol

Sent from my SM-T210 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. #3 MostlyReputable, Jan 26, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2016
    what I did was get a wye branch connector with an 8" out and two 6" inputs, I figure this should solve the problem.
    -------
    My problem is that im not that experienced with HVAC and ducting.
    --How would I go about fitting the Wye branch through my ceiling so that the 8" outlet is sticking up in the attic, airtight, so I can then hook up ducting to it and finish exhausting the air?

4. I use duct flanges when I have to go through a wall or ceiling. I just mount one on both sides and I have a kind of "quick connect" through the wall or ceiling. From there you can hook up any ducting, fans or connectors. Some home depots have it, but easier to find online. 8" duct flange :smoke:

5. I too will be popping a hole in the ceiling in the coming weeks and was told about the flanges as crazy pineapple said, are you running g it straight to the Attic, or to the attic and out the house?

Check out my grow report
    https://youtu.be/XrqtYNDulSc

6. If its smaller than 50 cu ft a passive intake and a 4" centrifugal exhaust is all you need. Also, too many cfm's will pull the exhaust through the carbon (if you are using it) too quickly. Dwell time in the carbon is crucial. I see a lot of people using high velocity 6" fans in a grow box. That is way too much power.

7. Well I knew the 6" would be too much power(fan controller), but I have a long distance to carry the exhaust through, which is why im going to have to buy 2 MORE fans, and hook them up in the attic, this is turning out to be a PITA!
    --Question to you guys though, WHat can I do as far as replacing the air in the grow room right now with my t5 running? ITs getting pretty god damn hot 80-84F unchecked, so should I use one of the fans right now and just hook it up inside exhausting now?

8. why not run it all in one system? Even if it requires 2 fans. Keep it to 1 hole.

[Filter]>[fan]>[cooltube]>[fan]> attic.