Exhaust Fan Sounds Like a Jet Turbine...

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by S Dot, Apr 2, 2021.

1. Well maybe not quite that loud... but I woke up this am and heard a really loud “whirring” sound coming from my basement so I went downstairs and it’s my exhaust fan... does anyone know what would cause the fan to all of the sudden start being so loud? Or any ideas how I can fix it... the fan is probably just about 1 year old and I didn’t use it through the summer so it’s had like 6 months of use maybe.

2. maybe hit it with some wd40? maybe it just needs a little oil to loosen her up a bit.

Im not an inline fan technician though so idk. Maybe time to get a new one?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Is it a green vivosun 6” that came with the carbon filter and everything?

If it is, those fans are absolute shit and the manufacturer should get a swift kick in the teeth for allowing such an inferior product to be sold.

My buddy and I had the same one and same story. 2-3 months in and it sounded like a helicopter. I replaced it with a nicer brushless fan and it’s been great ever since.

Apparently the issue is running them on slow speeds. Bearings go and the fan becomes useless. I know of 4 personally that were all garbage. Best to probably just replace it

4. Ive found that basically all products made specifically by marijuana cultivation companies are usually shit. I have not fucked with any of the super high end companies yet though because I am still a newbie. But all these mass produced grow companies have shit quality everything

• Like Like x 3
  5. Get a VORTEX and put it on a speed control.
    Those are great fans but not cheap.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Some just naturally sound like that, but if yours suddenly got louder it's likely one of 2 possibilities:

- The ducting may have come loose, making it sound louder
    - The bearings may be failing so it's off balance

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Yup. Vortex VTX comes with a 10 year warranty. Add a VARIAC voltage regulator to control speed.

8. I've had a 4" Terrabloom fan going for about a year straight now. At different speeds. She's still ticking. My 4" vivo sun I got just for my exhuast on my dry tent is shit. It hasn't shit the bed yet but hasn't been used much. You can tell it's shit though.

I recently got a 10" terrabloom for a new room and it seems extremely solid. It's a but cheaper than the vortex price wise not sure how they compare overall. Only a 2 year warranty though. Could be why the vortex is a bit more expensive. I believe $100 difference but 7 years extra warranty would be worth it. I'll have to check out the vortex

9. Do not buy stuff on Amazon basically

it’s all cheap stuff that’s very well marketed

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. I'd say your just about right lol yeah sounds like goner , bearings etc

Sent from my LM-X120 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  11. Stealth inline 460 cfm going year straight now 24/7 %90 of the time ,sounds m working great do far ...

Sent from my LM-X120 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

12. I've got a mix of sizes from AC Infinity, and couldn't be happier. The S series comes with a temp/humidity probe that has a nice long cord for mounting outside of your room/tent. That then attaches to a control module that has various features like temp/humidity controlled auto settings, timed settings and an alarm. I use the auto settings to avoid any dips/spikes. I'll also just click it over to ON for 10-15 mins twice a day to "burp" the used air and c02. They have been whisper quiet and 100% reliable. I won't buy another brand at this point; the costs justify results.

13. You are actually talking about the "T" series.

If you need a fan that will run at a constant speed for years and years, Vortex VTX series is the only way to go. 10 year warranty.

14. Your bearings have shit the bed.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Good catch. You are correct.