Exhaust fan bringing down humidity???

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by GREENHIGHLIFE, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Exhaust fan bringing down humidity??? \t\t\t\t

I have a 4x3x7(144 cfm) tent and my humidity hardly reaches past 45%. I already have a humidifier $40 walmart which it helped because it was about 29% before I bought it. I noticed if i turn off the exhaust fan it will shoot up to 50%-55% but the temp will go up to 86F. I only have one intake hole towards the bottom of the tent with a 4 inch inline fan. My exhaust fan is 170 cfm by the way. Can someone please help me out with this problem??? \t\t\t\t\t\t

2. Where is you meter located? I have found that if mine is too close to the air from a fan, it reads lower. Try different spots in your tent, see if you always get the same reading.

3. Your exhaust fan should work off temp so it doesn't run constantly. That being said I had to install a humidifier also. Unless you live in a humid place like SF this will be a problem.

4. i assumed that so I have 2 meters one digital with a probe hanging in the middle and another digital on the floor ,the difference is about 2% for humidity and 1-2 degree difference between meters so that seems to be accurate, i Just cant think of any other thing to do?

5. @REDtr4 I was thinking of doing that with the exhaust fan but my tent is in the closet and the temps get high even with my air cooled hood if i dont have the exhaust fan on

6. Search around, even 29% is not as bad as some make it out to be. But if it concerns you, I've read that you can lightly mist the plants leaves from time to time, place a bowl of water in the tent close to the intake, or hang a warm damp towel next to your tent.

7. thanks I will do more research on that but it does make me feel better if people are getting away with such low humidity!

8. #8 brotherjericho, Feb 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 29, 2012
  9. #9 Doc-J, Feb 29, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
    My entire grow this round has been from about 15% to 30%, it wont kill the plants, just seems to make soil dry a bit quicker. Pics are in my LSD journal, but I think my buds turned out decent.

The warmer air is, the higher its ability to retain moisture.

10. thanks for the replies and the links! i got it to stay at 48% im just gonna see how they grow. again thanks!!

11. Very encouraging since I have been fighting to keep it above 30%. The work room, which is what I draw air from is easy to get above 50 but the grow is at 30%-35% and it has concern me. I will also do more research. We always strive for optimums but in the end they may work out to be less than 1% of production.