Excerpts from an eclectic garden

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by DokiDoki, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Here are some pics from my hobby garden. I have a TON of stuff growing all over the yard, but these are some of my favorites.

Attached Files:

2. A few more pics. Dang... the spinach buds in my first post look almost good enough to smoke!

Attached Files:

3. Love your garden!

That castor bean plant is a common weed around here. I've got about 500 unintentional seedlings in the back yard :rolleyes:. I pull 'em up, and there will be 1000 of them the next day. They'll easily grow to 15' tall in a year without any human intervention. If anyone wants free castor beans, I've got tons of them in my back yard.

Very interesting plant, is actually the most poisonous plant in the world... the castor bean, it's seed, being the poisonous part. All it takes is eating a few of them to kill a human. :eek:

When it flowers, it makes pods that hold the bean, then, as they dry out, the pods shrink, and eventually snap the bean itself out of the pod. It'll actually launch the bean up to 20' away from the plant. I was in my back yard on a warm day when I got hit in the head with a bean, and discovered that the plant was throwing them. :laughing:

anyway, nice garden. :D

4. That's great! I really don't know too much about castor beans. To be honest, I bought the seeds just because it looked cool... and has a similar leaf shape as my favorite herb. :) Strange how the beans shoot out of the plant! I'd be amused to see that. And thanks for the compliments! Wish I had castor beans growing wild all over. But no... the only wild plants growing every where is brambles, yucca, cacti and catnip.

5. well, if ya let them flower, they'll be growing all over your yard by next year.. they make a lot of seeds, and throw them everywhere. They should be manageable if you keep them in pots. :D Just be careful not to handle the seeds too much, they can make you sick.

oh, and by the way, those spinach buds are really cool, I had no Idea it grew like that. :smoking:

6. Here's an update on the garden...

It's been raining almost every day here, which is both good and bad depending on the plant. The chamomile is starting to take over, flowers are blooming and my "portable bed" of corn and broccoli is doing well. I will take some more pictures tomorrow of the tobacco and gourd monstrosities.

Attached Files:

7. HIGH Doki, Wow some Great Pics!!!

Thanks for Sharing...can't wait to see more!!

8. Great garden! keep it coming!

9. Here's some fresh pics. Fall is in full swing, every week it gets a bit colder and harvest season is approaching. I'm proud to say I have peppers, potatoes, tobacco, corn, beans, pumpkins and gourds. If I'm lucky, the broccoli and brussel sprouts will produce something, too.

Attached Files:

10. Well, the temperature has dropped and it's already been below freezing a few times. Still have some tobacco, broccoli and dalia flowers outside. The tobacco actually started flowering! Strange.

Harvested my corn and it was DELICIOIUS... although, baby corn so only about 1/2 cup total. ha ha

Moved my potted plants inside. Rosemary and castor beans moved into the flowering room and the tomatoes, peppers, basil, Japanese spinach and other plants were moved to the porch. Hoping to continue the garden all winter long, and getting ready to sprout some other stuff. Growing makes me feel so productive. :D

Attached Files: