EWC (earthworm castings) storage question

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by madodah, Jun 26, 2010.

1. I've found a local source for quality EWC (read pricey) and since my usage is limited to a cup at a time as an AACT component, I'm wondering how long I can store it and the recommended storage method.

2. You can store for a year or so in a cool, dry area. It's okay store in a sealed container. The microbial content will gradually decline, but it's still good stuff.

3. Appreciate that. I asked because the Dr. Earth meals and such I have seem to have three year shelf life.

4. Do they spike the meals with probiotics? I think the meals store longer because they've been dried completely, so they aren't actively decomposing.

5. Don't know the answer to your question but the drying factor makes sense.

6. Just asking because the kelp I bought from them does have probiotics (bacteria, fungi) added to it. :)

7. I use their products because they're available locally and I don't have to incur freight charges.

I just looked at their blurb and it says the kelp meal contains Dr. Earth Superactiveâ„¢ soil and seed inoculant. The MSDS sheet defines that as a composition of seaweed extract and beneficial microbes, the probiotics. I'm too lazy to go get the box and read the label.

8. It's good stuff. They also make Kellog and GroMore products.

9. In my opinion an excellent company structure with an interesting background.

I use Kellogg's Gardner & Bloom Potting Soil as a component in my container grow medium. At $7.50 for 2cf with all the 'right' ingredients I could barely make it for that price and have no love for the Fox Farm marketing pitches or prices.