Evolution theory

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by blackdahlia515, Jun 13, 2008.

1. animals and everything living has evolved over time. the mental evolutions have basically been "layers" on top of each other. the insects have only impulses i guess (or whatever the unit would be, but you know what i mean) then maybe reptiles, mammals etc. up a line. the line leads to humans as far as we know. the "layer" that humans have is consciousness. mammals have some sort of thought and problem solving, but they aren't conscious like humans are.
    i believe that since humans have for the most part stopped natural selection due to insurance and medical technology, humans would cease to evolve. but we have to use our highest level of thought of mental power that we could to evolve. humans' would include consciousness. meaning we would have to consciously evolve, and i think that means that we should replace parts of our bodies with machines, or become more aware of our mental abilities. if you have ever seen the move K-Pax it's a similar concept. we ave to consciously access the parts of our minds that are unknown to us. or we will die, probably destroy each other.

2. thats very anthropocentric.......
    but we have not stoped natural selection- look at all the variations of humans acrose the world, each adapted in one way or a nother towards the climate of the region of the worlf that they live in. evolutionary change occurs over thousands of years. way too long for out short human lives to notice change from our modern human form.

it is possible we are impated on this planet as others suggest and therefor we may not evolve and change earthly creatures do. but if you think we are a result of evolution just wait thousands of years to see the evolved human

3. no I'm saying humans keep everyone alive now, so there's gonna be genetic variation of course, but everyone lives, even the weak.

4. I see no other way to say this. You are just plain outright wrong.
    I will agree that insects seem to mostly only react on impulses, and even some reptiles/birds are this way. But once you get to mammals, all of them have a conscious. Some are more advanced than others, but ask any pet owner if their dog has no emotions or conscious.

After rereading this i seem like a jerk who pushes my ideas, and im afraid to say I am one of those people. I understand your hatred.

5. do the weak survive though? i dont think so. thoose who are weaker live shorter and die off faster, and sometimes cant even reproduce as they only have miscarriages. it seems to me the week die off very obviously

6. The more pressure the environment puts on a population, the faster it evolves... Evolution has not stopped, it's simply following new and slower paths in many places. As Remdog said it takes thousands, or rather tens of thousands of years to see a striking change in a population that takes 15-20 years to mature. And some species simply find the perfect environment and settle down... Horseshoe crabs have barely changed in 400 million years.

Look to places like South Africa if you believe this modern age means the weak always survive.

7. the need to change often changes that though.

is it possible to evolve dimensionally...like to live in a different dimension....hmmm?

8. everything needs to evolve. especially when the humans are destroying everything in existence:rolleyes:

animals have instinct, we are animals, but we are slow learners. our defense mechanism is complete crap. there are soo many animals that could and would kill us off if they had the chance(population).
    if us(we as humans)--had to live in the wild we would be fucked...but we would evolve and adapt. our immune systems would get much stronger.

everything evolves.

the whole evolution thing can and does work.
    its the instinct and evolution of survival.

9. I dunno, did you see the tribe they just found deep in the jungle in South America? They don't seem too fucked..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7426794.stm

For the record though humans in a broad society like ours have MUCH stronger immune systems than we ever would in the wild. Without travel, immune systems only need to be able to deal with the local diseases. Native Americans for example lived much closer to the land than Europeans, but guess which group was ravaged by disease when the 2 met up...

Everything else you said though, I'm with ya.

10. that tribe has adapted and been there for a LONG time...im talkin about McDonald's Eatin Fatty Americans! lol

11. Blackdahlia is correct in saying that natural selection plays little-to-no role on our species. Remdog, when you talk about the variations in races around the world in relation to Blackdahlia's argument you are forgetting to take into account the fact that we only recently began to lessen natural selections effect. Modern medicine, health standards, and food quality have all done their part. Evolution certainly marches on, but what is evolution without natural selection? We will take our species evolution into our own hands, either with genetic enhancements, or technological augmentations, or most likely a little (or a lot) of both.

12. Well really, we do live "in the wild" this is just how we have built up or society same as ants build their communities, etc. But I do see what you mean, I'm waitin' till the day lions decide to mate like rabbits and eat us all.

13. hahaha have you ever heard of the HIV virus or MRSA?

14. evolution.....not virus or disease or bacteria.....have we evolved to accept that disease into our systems and not die from it yet???? I dont think soo.
    and it was introduced in the 70's into America if im not mistaken. lol thats only 38 years. we havent evolved to adapt to treat it as a common cold yet.:wave:

HIV/aids where all government made to wipe out populations and to test on innocents for chemical warfare.

15. top secret military clearance my friend. there are alot of fucked up things you dont even want to know.

16. I would like to add a correction to my quoted post above. I deleted it because I did not make much sense and was feeling too ill to correct it at that moment, and this moment actually :p. I am aware that people die from AIDS now and there is no cure. So, when I said "If this was 3000, hell 400, years ago everyone who got AIDS would die and only those who were immune would survive" I should have said "If this was 3000, hell 400, years ago everyone who got AIDS would probably not even know they had it until it was much to late, there would be no condoms to protect anyone, no understanding of it to know how to prevent it, and it could possibly become a pandemic. Possibly infecting everyone who was not immune. The damage to the immune system would cause death a lot sooner than even today as we have medication that can greatly extend an infected person's life." :p

Also, I want to know everything so... Links? :)

EDIT: I should stop posting when feverish. lol :p