Evolution of faith.

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Danothemanoman, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Just a thought into the existence of supernatural belief. Is it the result of childhood brainwashing or does it go deeper. Could it be that evolution has a hand in it and has somehow locked us in this path. Religious conviction seems to have no limits, infecting people of all kinds. Anyone?

2. Religious roots itself in natural paranoia. The feeling that your always being watched and judged. Religion plays off this and brainwashed people into voting for corruptors and waging war.

The purpose of religion is to wage war. If we didn't have our ignorrant red neck Bible thumpers we probly wouldn't be in the middle east right now

3. *hammers in a pointed sign*

"Atheists, vent here."

4. xD

I'm not even religious but just no, if that's what you've gotten out of religion maybe you should sharpen your reading skills.

Quote one place where Jesus commands people to wage war and kill people...

*Correction* If it wasn't for oil being in the the middle east and our president (Bush) being apart of that business, we probably wouldn't be over there.

Stop trying to spread untruths to make you feel more secure about denying God, it only makes yourself look worse when you don't even understand the basics of what you're trying to argue against.. lol

5. Is it possible that persuasion and influence alone has perpetuated the existence of something we cannot perceive with any of our senses? Or has the evolutionary path of the human mind left us with some fear quenching instinct only to be translated into religion. Will the atheistic mindset prevail in natures selection?

6. Religion = The opium of the masses

7. [quote name='"dishin reg"']

xD

I'm not even religious but just no, if that's what you've gotten out of religion maybe you should sharpen your reading skills.

Quote one place where Jesus commands people to wage war and kill people...

*Correction* If it wasn't for oil being in the the middle east and our president (Bush) being apart of that business, we probably wouldn't be over there.

Stop trying to spread untruths to make you feel more secure about denying God, it only makes yourself look worse when you don't even understand the basics of what you're trying to argue against.. lol[/quote]

Wow. Your not only completely ignorrant of science but also of religion!

No your right. Religion teaches peace.love and harmony. That's true. But that's how they get you. Its a giant cult.

"Your life sucks. But join our religious and it will get better for once you die you'll have millions of virgins in your eternal mansion"

*proceed to read the holy texts*

Then comes the catch

Once the masses have united under the banner of a God they will eat up any propoganda the church spews out.

"Allah wants you to bomb the infidels"

"Muslims hate Christians and want them dead. We need to bomb the shit out of the middle east before they kill us all"

The Crusades never ended. We just renamed it the war on terror.

Religion.... ever since becomming a rationalist atheist I've been happier. I see the world in a new light. I respect the miracle of nature and do good for the sake of doing good and not because I'm paranoid that a tyrant "loving" Creator might judge me.

A lot of arguments I see suggest people need to believe in a God because they quite simply can't deal with death. Emotional Fallacy: "you really believe that when you die your just gone?" Get the fuck over it

8. [quote name='"yurigadaisukida"']

Religion.... ever since becomming a rationalist atheist I've been happier. I see the world in a new light. I respect the miracle of nature and do good for the sake of doing good and not because I'm paranoid that a tyrant "loving" Creator might judge me.[/quote]

For the sake of doing good? Or for your underlying motives?

9. [quote name='"Arso"']

For the sake of doing good? Or for your underlying motives?[/quote]

I'm.good because I want to be. Nice guys finish last. I chose to finish last. I don't need heaven to be good.

But if you want to get into a psychology debate you could.argue that it is impossible to be selfless.

I mean.cmon. if doing the right thing makes you happy, then isn't that a selfish motive?

10. [quote name='"yurigadaisukida"']

I'm.good because I want to be. Nice guys finish last. I chose to finish last. I don't need heaven to be good.

But if you want to get into a psychology debate you could.argue that it is impossible to be selfless.

I mean.cmon. if doing the right thing makes you happy, then isn't that a selfish motive?[/quote]

I was kidding just trying to add excitement to the topic

11. Good point. Nothing wrong with being selfish. I might decide to go to a poor village and help build them a school or hospital. I might love building things and working with other people, and I might especially love doing it when the weather is hot and dry. Is it any less good if I'm only doing it because I really enjoy it?

If choosing to do good makes you happy, and you choose good because you want to be good, because not being good makes you unhappy, then it won't be long before you're living in heaven anyway. Where did you think heaven was? Somewhere else? :smoke: