Evolution in Action: Lizards and live births

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by seculardave, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Evolution has been caught in the act, according to scientists who are decoding how a species of Australian lizard is abandoning egg-laying in favor of live birth.

"By studying differences among populations that are in different stages of this process, you can begin to put together what looks like the transition from one [birth style] to the other."

"Now we can see that the uterus secretes calcium that becomes incorporated into the embryo-it's basically the early stages of the evolution of a placenta in reptiles,"

http://news.nationalgeographic.com....ution-australia-lizard-skink-live-birth-eggs/

Developmental expression of calcium transport pro... [J Exp Biol. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

• Like Like x 1
  2. A great example of this is Alligator lizards and swifts.

In regions where winters are really harsh and cold, lizards are generally ovoviviparous.

The southern Alligator lizard (Elgaria Multicarinata sp) lays eggs.

The Northern Alligator lizard (Elgaria coerulea sp) is ovoviviparous.

Both species are extremely closely related, artificial insemination can actually yield hybrids, albeit sterile ones.

They do not give live birth like mammals, they retain the eggs inside the body, laying them at the very last minute.

3. This is one of the coolest things I've seen in a while. I kind of wonder what the evolution deniers have to say about this.

4. You could go back in time and bring a live archaeopteryx back with you, and they'd still nay-say.

Doesnt matter what you tell a brainwashed person, they dont fuckin listen.

the only cure for brainwashing, is brainwashing.

5. Well since they think that they already have all of the answers to the universe and know the purpose of existence, one of their "scientists" will most likely make shit up in an attempt to throw a wrench in the mix.

Little do they know, nobody gives a fuck about their close minded fairy tales.

I agree that this is one of the coolest things I've come across in a while.

6. Blasphemy! The easter bunny died for our sins we are all imperfect idiots that need a savior and don't you forget it!