Evolution and Racism

Discussion in 'High Ideas' started by babel, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Ok, yes, we are genetically different between members of the same species. But that is an incredibly superficial difference. We all live via the same mechanisms, develop identically, have almost ALL of the same proteins (these three things are all related). That fact makes us incredibly similar, enough so to call us equals as a species. We're not different at all, really.

Also, the "missing link" isn't applicable. That's a matter of what our species evolved from exactly, the link in the known sequence. But we do know that we evolved from something at that point, and that our species evolved directly from a known species.

Dude I'm so sorry. I had just vaped before making that post and must have been too high to notice. :laughing::smoke:

2. #22 jeongmaljohaseo, Jul 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2012
    There is no such as the "evolutionary ladder," and anyone who thinks so is horribly misinformed. No one is "more" evolved than anyone else, because evolution is not progress; it is mere population mechanics and a reaction over generations to changing environmental circumstances and required phenotypes to suit those conditions. Evolution can make eyesight better, worse, or make it not exist at all; there is no "better" except relative to one's current environment, which can continuously change and will change slightly every generation. That's why you can find cave-dwelling creatures who have closed eyes that do not see; it was evolutionarily beneficial for their ancestors to have eyes at one point, but now it is not beneficial, since having eyesight provides no advantage in a dark cave, but carries the minor disadvantage of being susceptible to infection, disease, and therefore an earlier death due to having soft tissue highly exposed. It is all about competing cost-benefit analysis done naturally and blindly by nature acting on biological systems over long time periods.

Also, evolution doesn't happen to individuals; it is just a trend amongst generations and allele frequencies within those generations. There is no "more highly evolved," there is just a now. Bacteria and humans are equally "evolved" since both suit their biological niche that their environment sets for them just fine, not to mention the fact that both we and them come from a long line of creatures who have been evolving side by side since a common ancestor ~3 billion years ago.

And anyone who posts a link to the documentary "Expelled" is also a near moron by default, if not a major moron; sorry to say so but it is true. I suggest the OP gets a science education if he does not have one already. Hint: learn the definition of theory in the scientific context. Sorry if anything I just said has already been addressed or sounded too wordy.

tl;dr Evolution does not imply racism anymore than gravity implies being in favor of people falling off cliffs/buildings to their deaths.

3. [quote name='"jeongmaljohaseo"']There is no such as the "evolutionary ladder," and anyone who thinks so is horribly misinformed. No one is "more" evolved than anyone else, because evolution is not progress; it is mere population mechanics and a reaction over generations to changing environmental circumstances and required phenotypes to suit those conditions. Evolution can make eyesight better, worse, or make it not exist at all; there is no "better" except relative to one's current environment, which can continuously change and will change slightly every generation. That's why you can find cave-dwelling creatures who have closed eyes that do not see; it was evolutionarily beneficial for their ancestors to have eyes at one point, but now it is not beneficial, since having eyesight provides no advantage in a dark cave, but carries the minor disadvantage of being susceptible to infection, disease, and therefore an earlier death due to having soft tissue highly exposed. It is all about competing cost-benefit analysis done naturally and blindly by nature acting on biological systems over long time periods.

Also, evolution doesn't happen to individuals; it is just a trend amongst generations and allele frequencies within those generations. There is no "more highly evolved," there is just a now. Bacteria and humans are equally "evolved" since both suit their biological niche that their environment sets for them just fine, not to mention the fact that both we and them come from a long line of creatures who have been evolving side by side since a common ancestor ~3 billion years ago.

And anyone who posts a link to the documentary "Expelled" is also a near moron by default, if not a major moron; sorry to say so but it is true. I suggest the OP gets a science education if he does not have one already. Hint: learn the definition of theory in the scientific context. Sorry if anything I just said has already been addressed or sounded too wordy.

tl;dr Evolution does not imply racism anymore than gravity implies being in favor of people falling off cliffs/buildings to their deaths.[/quote]

I agree with almost all of your post, but I do be believe evolution is species becoming greater /gaining advantage, if they would have never changed to suit a new environment, they would most likely die, and to me thats an increase on the ladder,

I would like to think that we are greater evolutionary than 500000 years ago,, that is if you exclude the planet damage from the past couple hundred years..but it is an opinion..