Evicted because of pot!

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by JelloX, May 7, 2009.

1. it happens man thats life for you

2. Yeah I guess, I'm just saying considering she's handicapped, maybe a bit of warning or something first..

3. Did you read the article? She was warned several times. I'm not defending the landlords though, you'd think that they would be a bit more compassionate. The negative publicity is going to be much worse for them now.

Also, notice that it's in BC, not the U.S. - not that it makes much of a difference.

4. Yeah I read the article, must of missed that, sorry.

There's pretty much no difference between US and Canada with medical marijuana laws, though I know here in BC you need to have permission from the renter...

5. #6 redsoxted9, May 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2009
    Hey, its her problem not the landlord's. If a landlord doesn't want smoke damage on their property than its their call.

Plus: If I was her neighbor and I didn't smoke, I wouldn't want to smell it in my apartment either.

6. how compassionate of you; i'm sure the smell wasnt at all the actual issue if she was doing her best to cover the odor.

7. Since they could smell it on the street.....apparently it was a problem. Don't think I don't feel for her, but she doesn't own the building, she rents.

8. i'll use a quote from the article that you might have skipped over:
    “I doubt smoking medicinal marijuana constitutes an unreasonable interference sufficient to justify evicting a double amputee.” -Jason Gratl, vice-president of the B.C. Civil Liberties Association
    you're kind of a shitty person if you think that a smell is enough to evict a double amputee.

9. Thanks.....But I didn't evict the lady, I'm just saying that you shouldn't jump on the landlord who is responsible for other tenants as well as his property (smoke damage), especially since he already told her the consequences and gave her another chance. I wouldn't have evicted her, but its not my property.

10. Smoke damage? wtf smoke damage are you talking about? Pot smoke doesnt stay in the room you smoked in like tobacco does. Once the room has aired out for a bit you'd never even know anyone smoked pot in there.

Now dont think im being mean, because im not. Im just pointing some shit out here....First of all, she got her first eviction notice because of this issue and they came to an agreement that she would only smoke outside, nowhere else. She admited she smokes in the apartment at night. So she broke the agreement the landlord and her came to when this first became a problem.

I know she was only smoking in the middle of the night because she was in pain, but when you make an agreement you have to keep your end of the deal and not break it. I mean, at this point the landlord has tried to help her out, he could have been a dickhead in april 2008 and not even warn her and just kick her out then. Im just saying, look at it from both parties sides.

I understand she has no leg's, is going blind in her right eye, and is diabetic and this is scary for someone to be on the streets with no place to go. It really sucks this is happening to her, i know if it were me i'de be freaking out. So I feel for her and the worries she must have right now, but she broke the agreement with her landlord which he didnt even have to do in the first place and is fed up with it. I mean if I tell you im going to take your car away from you the next time you smoke in my house and you smoke in my house anyways and I dont take your car, what message does that send to everyone else? I'll keep her in my prayers and I hope she sorts this out somehow and sticks to the agreement or finds another place thats more friendly to mmj.

11. Thanks Laughing Gas, I was hoping someone could take a middle ground so I stop sounding like a dick for playing devil's advocate lol

12. Of course I don't think she should be evicted, but I do think she should have just smoked outside only after signing the paperwork for it, or worked toward getting a script, as it looks like they would have accepted her smoking if she had one. She DID sign a thing saying not to smoke inside, and if it's assisted living, I should think she could get the help she would need to get outside at night if she felt the need to smoke.

Again, not saying I think evicting her is the right thing to do.

13. i feel bad for her, but she needs to get the papers, there is no excuse for doing it illegally if you can get mmj. or buying a vap!