Everything you need to know about HERMIES

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by RIPatient, Feb 14, 2012.

1. LOTS OF INFO ON HERMIES!

marijuana plants are either male or female . The male marijuana plants produce pollen which pollinates the flowers of the female marijuana plant, which once pollenized, produce seeds . If the female marijuana plant isn't pollenized (if there are no male Mariuana plants nearby producing pollen), the flower/buds continue to develop and produce THC. Female marijuana plants which are not pollenized are referred to as sinsemilla (without seeds). Usually 30-50% of the marijuana plants are male.

What's the Difference you ask?

Males are often, but not always, tall with stout stems , sporadic branching and few leaves. Males are usually harvested except those used for breeding, after their sex has been determined, but before the pollen is shed. When harvesting, especially if close to females, cut the marijuana plant off at the base, taking care to shake the male as little as possible. This helps prevent any accidental pollination by an unnoticed, open male flower.

When a male enters the stage of flower development, the tips of the branches where a bud would develop will start to grow what looks like a little bud (little balls) but it will have no white hairs coming out of it. Females will have no balls and will have small white hairs. >> Read More about Male marijuana plants

Cannabis in temperate climates begin to show his sexual identity by the end of July (end of January in the southern hemisphere) in different dates according to the varieties, marijuana being the resinous flower of female cannabis plants intended for seed production, in absence of pollen buds turns out pure sensimilla weed and is gentle and sweet to smoke.

It is very important to get rid of male plants on time, as they are unwanted pollen carriers. By the early flowering stage male cannabis, if compared to female's, shows quite a different structure but the characteristic excrescencies would be the sex indicator this are called primordia and will emerge by the side of the third or fourth internodes in the main stem.

Female cannabis are completely revealed when the characteristic "V" shaped pistils become visible, all this to a close observation. Outdoors males will uncover themselvesapproximately three weeks before the females, indoors sexing of both males and females happens within a week to ten days according to the variety.

We've heard of urban legends about environmental conditions, age of seeds, added chemicals and even lunar stages having an influence on sexual differentiation of Cannabis; you might take note of those suggestions as personal communications, but a good handbook or an internet surf works the best if you lack in experience when sexing.

For more pictures of male and female marijuana plants visit our marijuana Picture Gallery

What is a Hermaphrodite plant?

An hermaphrodite, or hermie, is a marijuana plant of one sex that develops the sexual organs of the other sex. Most commonly, a flowering female marijuana plant will develop staminate flowers, though the reverse is also true. Primarily male hermaphrodites are not as well recognized only because few growers let their males reach a point of flowering where the pistillate would be expressed.

Hermaphrodites are generally viewed with disfavor. First, they will release pollen and ruin a sinsemelia crop, pollinating themselves and all of the other females in the room. Second, the resulting seeds are worthless, because hermaphrodite parents tend to pass on the tendency to their offspring.

Please note that occassionally specious staminate flowers will appear in the last days of flowering of a female marijuana plant. These do not drop pollen and their appearance is not considered evidence of deleterious hermaphroditism.

Cannabis and Gender
    Cannabis plants can be male or female, occasionally they are hermaphrodites a mixture of the two. Clusters of resinous flowers known as buds only form properly on pure female plants. Females therefore are the only things worth growing if you want to end up with buds of sinsimilla. It`s very hard to tell the sex of a plant until it begins to flower and even then you can never be really sure of its sexual pureness until it, or cuttings taken from it have completed a full life cycle.

Female Flowers
    A single female flower consists of a little green seed pod with two fuzzy V shaped hairs poking out of it. These hairs, called stigmas are usually white but they can be other colours. The individual flowers build up through flowering to form the dense clusters commonly called buds. Look near stem and leaf joints on your plants to see them forming.

Female Characteristics
    Females tend to be shorter and bushier than male plants. They usually take 7 to 21 days to change from growing to flowering when placed on a flowering light cycle.

Females can Change
    Even pure female plants have the potential to turn male or hermaphrodite. This can happen if the plant is stressed too much through bad treatment or if hormones are applied to the plant to induce male flowering. Often near the end of flowering unfertilised stressed out females will produce one or two male flowers in a vein attempt to continue the species. Over cloned mother plants kept for too long can also suddenly start producing clones that change sex.

Hermaphrodites
    These are plants that are part male, part female. Some equatorial Sativa varieties of cannabis are naturally hermaphrodite and the use of them in the crosses that seed banks sell will sometimes show up. Other times hermaphrodites are caused by the plant being stressed. Quite often you will get plants that are mainly one sex with maybe a branch that shows flowers of the opposite sex. Hermaphrodites are best dumped as they will only lead to disappointment.

Male Flowers
    Early on male flowers look a bit like small bunches of mini green bananas or grapes. These bunches are actually sacs where the pollen forms. Later on these sacs open, push back their tepals, like petals but not, and release their pollen. Male flowers contain little THC and their pollen can make people unwell. Like hermaphrodites males are best dumped.

Male Characteristics
    Male plants are usually taller than females so they can shower them with their pollen. They also have less leaf and often look thin and straggly compared to a female of the same variety. Male plants start flowering more readily than females taking 7 to 14 days to respond to a change in light cycle.

Separate the Sexes
    Unless you have plans to breed or to produce lots of seeds always separate male and female plants as soon as their sex becomes apparent. One or two male plants can churn out enough pollen to tun a whole crop to seed.

Light and Flowering
    Once cannabis plants are a couple of months old they can start to produce a few pre flowers even under constant light. These pre flowers can be a good indication to the sex of a plant but can`t be relied upon. To flower properly most varieties of cannabis will require 12 hours of constant, uninterrupted total darkness each day. The dark period needs to be at a regular time each day so use a timer switch if you are using lamps and don`t be tempted to peak during darkness or you will delay flowering, stress your plants and promote sexual deviation.

Sexing a Mother
    If you want to grow using cuttings then a good unstressed female to use as a mother is a must. But how do you find a plants sex without causing it stress by flowering it and then reverting it back to vegetative growth? Simple, take a few cuttings from the plant and put them straight into a flowering cycle instead. They are only to tell you the sex of the parent plant so you don`t have to look after them too much.

cannabis plants are either male or female or occasionally hermaphrodite. The male cannabis plants produce pollen which pollinates the flowers of the female cannabis plant, which once pollenized, produce seeds . If the female cannabis plant isn't pollenized [if there are no male cannabis plants nearby producing pollen], the flower or buds continue to develop and produce THC. Female cannabis plants which are not pollenized are referred to as sinsemilla [without seeds]. Usually 30 to 50% of the cannabis plants are male.

Male cannabis plants
    Male cannbis plants are often, but not always, tall with stout stems, sporadic branching and few leaves. Males are usually harvested except those used for breeding, after their sex has been determined, but before the pollen is shed. When harvesting, especially if close to females, cut the cannabis plant off at the base, taking care to shake the male as little as possible. This helps prevent any accidental pollination by an unnoticed, open male flower. When a male enters the stage of flower development, the tips of the branches where a bud would develop will start to grow what looks like a little bud [little balls] but it will have no white hairs coming out of it.

Female cannabis plants
    Female cannbis plants will have no balls and will have small white hairs. Cannabis in temperate climates begin to show his sexual identity by the end of July [end of January in the southern hemisphere] in different dates according to the varieties, cannabis being the resinous flower of female cannabis plants intended for seed production, in absence of pollen buds turns out pure sensimilla weed and is gentle and sweet to smoke. It is very important to get rid of male plants on time, as they are unwanted pollen carriers. By the early flowering stage male cannabis, if compared to female's, shows quite a different structure but the characteristic excrescencies would be the sex indicator this are called primordia and will emerge by the side of the third or fourth internodes in the main stem. Female cannabis are completely revealed when the characteristic "V" shaped pistils become visible, all this to a close observation. Outdoors males will uncover themselves approximately three weeks before the females, indoors sexing of both males and females happens within a week to ten days according to the variety. We've heard of urban legends about environmental conditions, age of seeds, added chemicals and even lunar stages having an influence on sexual differentiation of Cannabis; you might take note of those suggestions as personal communications, but a good handbook or an internet surf works the best if you lack in experience when sexing.

Hermaphrodite cannabis plant
    Hermaphrodite cannabis plant, or hermie, is a cannabis plant of one sex that develops the sexual organs of the other sex. Most commonly, a flowering female cannabis plant will develop staminate flowers, though the reverse is also true. Primarily male hermaphrodites are not as well recognized only because few growers let their males reach a point of flowering where the pistillate would be expressed. Hermaphrodite cannbis plants are generally viewed with disfavor. First, they will release pollen and ruin a sinsemelia crop, pollinating themselves and all of the other females in the room. Second, the resulting seeds are worthless, because hermaphrodite parents tend to pass on the tendency to their offspring. [note: that occassionally specious staminate flowers will appear in the last days of flowering of a female cannabis plant. These do not drop pollen and their appearance is not considered evidence of deleterious hermaphroditism.]

I SEEN ALOT OF PEOPLE ASKING BOUT THIS SO I THOUGHT I WOULD GO OUT AND FIND SOME INFORMATION FOR NEWBIES AND PEOPLE WANTING TO KNOW THE INS AND OUT OF HERMIES

I HOPE THIS HAS HELPED EVERYONE THAT WAS UNSURE

• Like Like x 4
  2. thank you sir.

3. awesome bro, just looked that up.. great to know!

+rep to you homie!

come by my journal (by clicking the link in my signature), i'd love to have you subbed so you can check out my work bro..

4. Thanks for that does to high heat cause plants to hermi

5. Gran's a lady you foo lol

6. I read this the other today, 1 word, insane. A test to tell sex after 2 weeks from seed. As i said, insane haha

7. 50 fucking bucks per plant !!!!!!!!!You all can kiss my rosy red Irish ass :devious:.

learning how to tell em apart that way we've been doing it for 6 thousand years + does fine..and it's free:smoking:.

That's an extra 500 buck per pack of seeds..plus you gotta mail it back to em ( FTR mailing cannabis is a federal felony, and fed time doesn't have parole...:eek:).

fuck me granny, I though you were better then this fad shit....

8. Yea i just researched in to it.. 50 bucks a plant fuck that, Ill just cut clones and flower early for that price. I thought it was some kit i could buy for 50 bucks to test it myself at home.

9. Next time I think I'm doing a clone I have a hermie and I don't want to kill t I don't have the heart

10. Good Information.

Thank you Bro.......

11. when you have a hermie plant, can you cut off the male parts or not?

12. been reading all about herms. i only got a couple plants and one is showing signs of herm. someone on another board alluded to the possibility of it being half herm or reversible.

is it possible to trim male parts and/or reverse a herm to full female?

i have been letting this one grow for a few extra days before i kill it. but the time has come to make a decision. i have been trimming male parts, and don't know whether to trim whole branches or just areas close to the balls and am just stressing the plant more and more and more.

it either needs to come down or if i can save it, i will keep up my effort, but i don't want to chance it if it won't work.

13. I looked in on my garden 2 days ago&2 of my 4 girls which are into 4th week of flower have these male looking balls in a couple of spots but they are really hard& have between 6&12 hairs just the same as on the buds can you please tell me what is going on as of at first i thought they might be hermies but when seeing the hairs really has me confused&they are so close to finishing should i or can i see them through to the end as its really going to hurt me if all turns out te be bad news!! Any help or advice would be most appreciated.

14. pics??

• kinda sounds like they might be seeds forming. the hairs catch the male pollen and fruit a seed to propagate. mighta just had a male somewhere nearby and caught a breeze? is your garden outside?
    pics definitely would help.

15. I have a lovely crop of lady Kush plants, but broke a cola on the main stock 18"-24" from the top (4' tall). It grew a male pollen sack at the sight of the breakage. I chopped it down, but it pollinated some of my other females.

So here is my question:

If there are ways to purposely stress the plant to create a female pollen, wouldn't this produce femenized seeds? The way it was explained to me is that when a fem pollinates another fem, it creates femenized genes as both parents are female. Since Im growing a clone only strain (PK from bagseed), I think that would be an awesome outcome of an otherwise horrible ordeal. Ive grown with these bag seeds before and not once did I get a hermie. In 4-5 seperate grows, I had only encountered males and fems. I know that there are sprays you can make containing pure silver, but I had no intention of producing seeds. Just curious if theyd be worth growing, or just throw them out.

16. Do hermi male parts get hairs like the female hairs

17. Th
    Thank u. This has been the only useful literature about the subject. More more more!