Everything is the way it is

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by alicedee07, Jun 6, 2010.

1. and there are some things which we can never change. Our greed, our beliefs, our individuality, who we are, how we interact with one another, birth, aging, death, etc are all things we just cannot change. The more we just accept the world exactly how it is and not the way we want it to be, the happier we may be. It is always important to remember that during difficult times in life. Just a little tidbit of wisdom after blazing :smoking:

2. I cannot disagree with this any more (minus birth and death). Striving forward is our purpose and are VERY capable of changing how we think and how the world works.

It is the men with the money that control the day to day events of this world that wish us to think like this.

Tell these men we cannot change:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

There are certain things not worth wasting time on worrying about changing, but your list seemed to be very absent in those and very plentiful in things we can and should be working towards changing.

3. There are things we can't change but there is also things that can be. The point in finding a balance and a passion in life because one person can't change everything but a few people such as the pictures above can change the world in completely different ways by following their passion.

Those are the types of people who keep me going, just to think that someone out there cares enough to devote their entire life to making the world and better place...and succeeding.

4. I like what you're saying about accepting other for who they are, but I really hope that greed, beliefs, who we are, and how we interact with one another are things that CAN be changed.

You can't just look at the asshole CEO of BP and think, "oh well, so what if he's greedy and selfish. We should just accept who he is." I can't accept who that guy is, he and everyone else like him needs to change their attitudes to make our world a better place.

5. No way man. We can change everything (besides the birth/death/age thing). Some people may be to weak minded to want to change. But everybody can change.

6. “Be the change you want to see in the world.” Mahatma Gandhi

7. Changeable things are illusory. But that does not mean they are not real.

Where are emotions? What is love? How much does compassion weigh? These things are not tangible, thus there is no way to prove they can change.

"It is beyond is or is not."

8. This.

9. I thought I would have a poke at this logic.

Where are emotions? What is love? How much does compassion weigh? These things are not tangible, thus there is no way to prove they can change.

Subjectively all these emotions can be rationalised and put in perspective.

10. #10 alicedee07, Jun 7, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2010
    I only meant to say that there are some things you cannot change. Even though there are plenty that we can change, much of human misery comes from the desire to make things the way we want them to be as opposed to the way they are. Wisdom comes from knowing when to strive for change, and when to let go. This of course not only applies to our external world, but also from within ourselves.

11. A good point !