EVERYTHING I know about CFLs

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by pikkerc, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Okay, pikkerc here. I am going to start by saying that I do now write the book on growing indoors or growing with only cfl lighting. I will say I have used cfl's for every grow and have looked at nearly every possible source of info I could find to learn about them. And this is simply what I have learned.

-A properly ventilated grow closet will NEVER overheat with cfl's.

-Touching bulbs to each other for long periods of time (16hours) will not cause damage or excessive heat to your bulbs.

-Lower wattage CFL bulbs are more effective then optional wattage bulbs.

-200 watts CAN yield you over an
    ounce. Wet.

-Properly regulated, CFL bulbs can last you for multiple years.

-It is next to impossible for law enforcement to discover excessive CFL usage.

-Touching plants to the surface of a bulb for even 15 seconds will ultimately hurt that section of the plant.

-Tricromes take color less readily when provided with only CFL lighting

-2700k CFL lights reflect light off of flat white paint much brighter than any hps will directly offer to the top of a plant.

-CFL's can be mounted into extension cords by plug in light fixtures.

And finally. CFL's (in my humble opinion) are cheaper and easier to get than HPS or LED.

Let me know please if you think otherwise. Otherwise, I can answer questions!

Tuckerjonesisreal

2. In response to the first bulletin, I've put 150 watts of cfl in a closed Rubbermaid tub with a 4 inch square cut out on one side and grown a plant in it.

Tuckerjonesisreal

3. I have used cfl and hid. Today the purchase price is about the same. As a matter of fact I can buy a 400w hid with 2 bulbs on ebay for a little less than I paid for my 200w cfl. I not an engineer and know nothing about lumens. My anecdotal experience is cfls are plenty bright. They can have better penetration because they can be placed so close to the plant. Cfl has no heat problem. But for some reason my 200w cfl has limited coverage. I can grow 2 plants  with a 250w hid, but I would only grow one plant with a 200w cfl.

I'll never go back to hid, and as far as yield per 200w? Just depends on how much you can get from 1 plant.

I would prefer 5 200w cfl vs one 1000w hid.

4. That's amazing. I was under the influence hid lights were extremely pricey! And with most of my experiences, I feel like your correct. 200 watts in my eyes is preferable.

If you check my other post I have 240 running right now that just sprouted. I want to add about 160 more watts. What do you think?

Tuckerjonesisreal
    What are your yield experiences also with CFL's

Tuckerjonesisreal

5. I think everything you have written is accurate. As for using cfl lighting I have zero experience, as I use a 1000 w mh/hps. I think that cfl lighting is ok to use if you have limited room. Personally I would stick to the 1000w for me because of the yield and amount of room I have, but you have got me interested in cfl lighting I do have a smaller tent and next run thinking about going cfl now just to see what happens! Great info tho bro!

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

6. Thanks brother! I would recommend for a small space like I have in my other journal. I'm working with 3ft by 2ft so it's very convenient!

Tuckerjonesisreal

7. #7 GrowTrees, Oct 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2014
    Nice write up man, good info. Below are my results

This is my Girl scout cookies plant grown with 300w of cfls in a 2x3 area. I had 5 smaller plants and 1 huge one. Predicting a yield of about a half oz with almost no veg time. Already chopped the smaller one and got 11g dry (56g wet)
    [​IMG]

8. That my friend is a truly beautiful plant. I have never been able to get one so frosty. What's the trick? Did you use nutes? I use none.

Tuckerjonesisreal

9. #9 tmntgrower, Oct 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2014
    Half an OZ in 60-80 days? That's what I don't like about cfl I also take exception to cfl bounce being stronger than hid direct. I have no science but that seems just false to me. I know a cfl is not recommended to use a reflector because light from it is not strong enough to punch back through bulb. Talking normal hid wing reflector not clamp light cone. Cfl will create heat, watt is an expression of heat energy lumens is expression of visible light and k is expression of lights wave length. Any properly vented grow room will not over heated. That's why it is properly vented haha. Watt for watt hid lighting has proven to be more effective for growing than cfl, 240watts cfl vs 240 watts hid, hid wins when talking power bill vs yeild. I will say that because of the extreme temp hps burns at it does create more heat and Need better venting. However any grow should have air exchange in some form. Not saying cfl doesn't have its place and I give it up to all growers no matter light choice. I just don't no cfl is saving anybody money. Also hid lighting can be gotten from Amazon for $80-180 depending on watts and reflector. That's ballast bulb reflector one plug to the wall and go. Cfl is good for starting plants, maybe pretty decent for Vegging but flowering hps crushes them. Unless of course you don't have room to use hid lights because cfl has it all over them when it comes to height requirements.

10. All 12 of my cfl bulbs were $35 total including y splitters. I can't find an HID light in a store, nor have I seen one online that isn't at least $50. Where you spend your $50 on one bulb, I spend my $50 on soil, pots, lights and extension cords.

No argument against yield with an HID. Just ones opinion. I don't have need or $ for more than 300 watts so I need only use cfl.

Tuckerjonesisreal

11. That's fine and I am not saying that you shouldn't use for only trying to counter some points you made that I don't agree with. Cfl users take a beating on here I know this and I am not trying to knock your grow style, we should all paint the world green the way we know how. I just think that maybe your facts could be off. Maybe my facts are off, I buy hid lighting hype so who knows. Just telling it the way I see it, also if you present something as a known fact people take it for gospel and wanted to let the people weighing light options know both sides ya know?

12. I digg brother you sound like you know your HIDs. I have NO proof towards the reflectiveness of HID or CFL lights. I have seen two in person HID and they light isn't able to go past the top layers.

If your using CFL's and often we cfl users use lst, it's easier to manipulate the individual bulbs around the plants. So that should be my correction.

I really wish I could get my hands on a HID

Tuckerjonesisreal

13. nice input.

Tuckerjonesisreal

14. After a year of growing i suggest 400-800 watts with 2/4 females. LST and 5th node topping.

15. Attached Files:

16. That's all cfl light bean?

17. #18 GoldGrower, Apr 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2015

I disagree with almost all of those points. I have been growing plants for 20 years, about 15 years using CFLs to some degree. I also use HPS, MH, and LED and have direct first hand experience of their comparison. The things you say clearly show you are very new to this hobby, I hope not many beginners take the post as reliable information and do their own research before selecting their most suitable light type 

18. That's intense. LITERALLY every point?

19. #20 GoldGrower, Apr 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2015

"almost all" of them. Too many to go through individually

Edit...
    Ill go through them all if you really want my opinion