Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Everclear Tincture.

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by Philosopher1992, May 5, 2011.

1. How much do you need to take to feel the effects? Just one dropper full under the tongue?

2. Sorry to dredge up an old thread -- I searched "tincture" and found this. I'm new to this. Why do you have to soak it so long? I would think the cannabinoids dissolve pretty quickly in Everclear 190 proof (95% ethanol). They dissolve very quickly in 70% iso, which is less alcohol than everclear. (I clean the grinder with iso -- takes about 5 minutes.)

And btw, how did it turn out? Are you back from neverland yet?

3. Whats with people using nail polish remover to make tincture? Is it safe? I haven't tried making it with that because id rather wait a little longer then get sick off the nail polish remover.

4. 'Prolly a bit of "common wisdom"... most people used to make this with vodka, and it being a relatively low percentage of alcohol took a long time to extract the cannabinoids.

Though ethanol isn't nearly as good a solvent as isopropyl alcohol, 195 proof Everclear is supposed to get 90% of the cannabinoids in approximately 6-10 minutes. I use a 10 minute soak time for my tinctures, and they come out at the expected strength. Two to three hours should be enough time to extract 99.99% of them.

5. Thanks! Just wondering though, why do you soak for only 10 minutes? Do you get more "undesirable" stuff if you soak longer than that?

6. Yeppers. That's the reason for the quick soak.

Another thing I've been doing is putting everything(herb, Everclear, processing jars, strainers, etc.) in the freezer for a few hours before hand to freeze the water-soluble components so they won't dissolve in to solution.

7. #27 vashigopal, Aug 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2011
    That sounds like a good idea. But the cold solution will decrease the rate at which the trichomes dissolve too. (True of most reactions, including dissolution.) Not sure by how much, though.

Do you use dry herbs or fresh/frozen? I was thinking dry would be better, but not sure why, just that the dry leaves are browner so I'm figuring the chlorophyll has broken down, but I guess the components are still in there.

8. #28 Arisia, Aug 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2011
    I used dried herb. And I decarb them at 250F for 25-30 minutes first too.

I've made tinctures with cold solvent and with a hot solvent, and it doesn't seem to matter potency-wise. The hot solvent solution will be darker, but since the magical goodies are all white or colorless, color is no indicator of potency

9. And no follow up by the op. Nice. :devious:

10. #30 Izzy Mandelbaum, Oct 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2012
    Do it this way:

http://forum.grasscity.com/incredib...h-candy-canna-bombs-more-49.html#post13446289

Just stop after you do the final filter, if you want an alcohol tincture. I wash my herb for 5 minutes in hot alcohol. The herb afterwards is pretty much devoid of anything of interest. Don't need to wait a month. Just warm your alcohol in a jar under hot tap water, don't even need a stove. I just made a wash out of 50 grams of primo bud into a cup of everclear.

11. Hmm. Nice to know. I just started some and it has been soaking for two days in bacardi 151. should I just take it out now. Its my first time trying it. I did some glycerin also which I cooked in a small crock pot (the tiny kind thats more like a warmer) for 6 hrs then shut off overnight then cooked for about 8-10 (accedentially) the next day. I have not tried it yet. Well actually I tried about 5 drops about a half hr before I went to bed and I was drinking and smoking so did not notice anything, but I did wake up feeling better than I have in a long time. Pretty interesting.

12. i will have to try this... how long does it take for alcohol tincture to "kick in"? would a gram be enough? how long does it last? can you use less potent alcohol?