Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Everclear Tincture

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by Smokey_J, May 23, 2017.

1. I am about to create a Tincture using Everclear 151 proof (75.5% abv).

First though, I have some questions with regards to the whole process. (I've searched the forums & nothing is conclusive).

1 Ounce Cannabis
    1.75 Litres Everclear

So, I was going to grind and decarb all of the ounce that I have. Once decarbed, I was going to sit the cannabis in 1 litre of Everclear and leave it soaking for at least 3 months in an attempt to extract as much as possible of the THC.

I have seen May a different thread advising that you need to freeze the liquid, keep in a cool dark place, heat the alcohol. So I need to know which is the best? WhT will actively provide the best results in terms of creating a tincture.

If it assists at all, I will be using the tincture sublingually and also to cook with ie, in cakes, candies and other baked goods etc.

Any further information on tinctures would be appreciated or if you see any flaws in my plan. Let me know.

Smokey.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Assuming good bud that's 15% thc, here's the strength that tincture would be:
    Strength = (0.15)*(28,000 mg)/(1,750 mL) = 2.4 mg/mL
    This means that to get a new user 10 mg thc dose, you'd need to ingest about 4 mL, or 4/5 tsp. Experienced users would need 3-6 times as much or more, which is a lot of tincture to ingest, so I'd recommend only using 250-500 mL alcohol. 250 mL would produce a batch (1750/250) = 5 times as strong. That means taking only 4/5 mL (slightly less than a 1 mL medicine dropper) to get a 10 mg thc dose. Even this is too weak for some people, so they boil off some of the tincture to concentrate it.

Make sure you decarb accurately, and 240 F for 40 min with an accurate oven thermometer works well. After decarb, the herb is as potent as it will ever be, and it can even be eaten at this point as the simplest possible, maximum potency edible. Any other heat processing, including attempted infusion, will only weaken it. Making tincture allows the thc and other plant medicine to be separated from the inert, unwanted plant matter, which is then strained out. If baking is the final goal, then there's no need to even go through tincture making, because baking with decarbed ground herb is the most potent thing to do, but does leave slight herb taste.

How long to soak depends on the purpose of the tincture. For high thc recreational concentrates, freezer-cold herb is doused with freezer-cold alcohol, and then mixed for a few minutes before proceeding. This cold method picks up the majority (but not all) of thc, while leaving most of the unwanted chlorophyll and plant waxes behind. Long soak methods, like the one you're considering, pick up more thc, chlorophyll, wax, and other medicine, and are considered healthier by most of us.

Here's exactly what I'd do:
    (1) Decarb 1 oz herb
    (2) Grind to a fine powder for better absorption
    (3) Soak for 2 weeks or more in 250-500 mL alcohol
    (4) Strain and use.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thanks for your thorough response. It is much appreciated. I will more than likely adopt the method that you use, mentioned above.

Out of interest (and I know this depends on usage) but generally how long does your tincture last you? Do you medicate daily using tincture or do you utilise other methods to get high?

4. 1 oz herb lasts me about a month and a half, no matter what edible type thing I make. My favorite and strongest edible is ground, decarbed herb mixed with nutella, and spread onto crackers. My second favorite thing, equally strong, is ground, decarbed herb mixed with oil, and put into capsules. Third favorite is tincture. I'm an old geezer who uses herb mainly for sleep, and need to mix things up. I primarily use those nutella crackers, with an occasional few drops of strong tincture under the tongue, or a few puffs. Mixing strains and methods of delivery can stave off increasing tolerance to some degree.

• Like Like x 1
  5. #6 PsychedelicSam, May 23, 2017
    Last edited: May 23, 2017
    Just use a coarse grind for your material, joint texture. If you grind it finely then it will absorb more of your alcohol and release more chlorophyll. Decarb at 240°F for 40 minutes. Use an oven thermometer to stabilize your oven. 240°-250° range is fine. No cover unless smell is a concern. If your material was fairly fresh and green then it will still be green after decarb but less so.

Place your 151 in the freezer for 24 hours. Place your decarbed material in a jar and place it in the freezer for 24 hours separately. After 24 hours remove your jar of material from the freezer then pour 12oz of the cold alcohol into the jar of material and shake it for 5 minutes or so. It doesn't take long to extract the cannabinoids. You can place it back in the freezer for a couple of hours if you want more medical effects otherwise it's not necessary.

Strain your tincture and then place the material back in the jar for a rinse. At this point you can do one of two things. You can use the tincture as is after filtering but it will be weaker than following the process to the end. Green Dragon tincture is best when it's concentrated and to concentrate it you need to evaporate off some of the alcohol. Unfortunately, 151 doesn't evaporate cleanly so there is an extra step needed from a 190 proof extraction.

If you want to continue then you would add another 10oz of fresh, cold alcohol to the jar of strained cannabis and shake it again for about 5 minutes. Then strain it good. This has rinsed out the 25% of your cannabinoids that was left behind through absorption. After you strain this then add the results to the first run and filter it through a paper coffee filter.

When it's finished you'll have about 18-20oz of dilute Green Dragon. Now we turn it to magic. Set up a double boiler or a hot water bath with boiling water and with direct ventilation. Place your jar in the boiling water bath, if that's what you use, and evaporate all the liquid from the jar until you just have a gooey dark oil on the bottom. When that is the case and if you started with 28g, you'll add about 7oz of fresh room temperature 151 to the gooey oil and dissolve it all together. If you want a stronger tincture then use less alcohol to reconstitute the cannabis oil. If it's too strong you can always add more alcohol.

From that gooey oil state you can also make coconut oil or butter. :pimp:

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Thank you for your comprehensive response.

At the end of this process how much tincture are you left with from 1 ounce?

Cheers

7. That is going to be up to you. I make my personal tincture at a ratio of 4g of cannabis to 1oz of the alcohol. At that ratio you would have 7oz of tincture from the one ounce of buds. Unless you have a tremendous tolerance your dose will be a half ml or less. That gives you about 60 doses per ounce of tincture or 420 doses for the 7 fluid ounces. You can make it stronger by using less alcohol to reconstitute or weaker by using more.

If you were to make coconut oil or butter for edibles instead then you get about 20-25 twenty milligram servings per ounce equivalent except you'd be using the gooey oil instead of alcohol. :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. I'd also like to mention that kief/hash is the best way to make a tincture using 151. It's very simple without needing all that alcohol and then evaporating it away. No freezer and the only heat is used in the decarb. Very easy and potent. dragon (2015_10_01 04_32_03 UTC).gif

• Like Like x 1
  9. Thank you for the information here. I will give this route a go and see how it turns out. Seems straight forward enough.

10. If you have any questions when you get started you can ask them in my thread anywhere you want. Here's the link and it takes you to the last post. It's over 700 pages long so just skip to the end and post.
    Another Tincture Thread - Try it, Youll like it

• Like Like x 3
  11. Close to making honey oil
    first step is just missing. boil (low heat )the herb in water save the water use for a nice green ice tea
    and last step distill the alcohol