Ever use Bio-Char? (Terra Preta)

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Edmond Dantès, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Sounds promising! cant wait to give it ago thanks for the reply

2. Thanks for opening my eyes to this. I will learn to make it. +rep

3. My understanding is Bio-char is only part of the ingredients required for producing Terra Preta, Terra preta is the final product that the mirco organisms, insect worms etc shit out after consuming a mix of poo, kitchen waste, fine char(less than 1cm), small amount of old flour and moistened with a cultured yogurt and non chlorinated water mix. This is then put into a plastic bag or seal-able bucket making sure it is tight to remove excess oxygen creating a anaerobic condition then left for 3 weeks to ferment. This is then added to a composting system which attracts all the biology and left for as long as it takes depending activity and tempretures etc....the final product is micro-organism poo which is Terra Preta. This will then continue to accumulate....probably best for ground conditioning and can be added to organic potting mixes to rejuvenate them. Char produces the homes for all the micro organisms. If you add raw char it will deplete nutrients until the colonies establish bio char is the ultimate conditioner
    Its requires time but is worth the effort and reduces dependancies on the numerous product lines that only last a short time and generate imbalances.
    That's my 2 bobs worth good luck to the real seekers.