ever sold your art?

Discussion in 'The Artist's Corner' started by wraughbit, Jan 11, 2009.

1. #1 wraughbit, Jan 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2009
    People are always amazed by my sketches and natural paiting talent. I've never been formally taught in art but I've messed around with water color for maybe a year now. I was curious, how would I go about selling my art? Because I know if you can get in they pay big money in local art shows to support local artists of course. I was curious if any of you have ever sold of your own art on ebay or anything?

Here's my 2nd to most recent water color. My most recent is still in progress. :smoke:
    [​IMG]

edit: colors don't look QUITE the same with the flash on. you get the idea.

no matter how much time goes by I can always look back at art and see things I could fix. and I still could to this one too. Leonardo da Vinci carried the mona lisa around for like the last 20 years of his life fixing every tiny thing he'd notice days or months or years later.

2. It's an amazing watercolor, In my honest opinion you need to work on the house, the left part of the roof seems off, and so do the windows. But +rep anyways, beautiful. As for selling your art, go to a local art gallery and ask them if they will show it and/or sell it.

3. I'm a professional photographer, so I've sold my art a time or two :)

For selling online, I don't recommend ebay. I think it cheapens your work, and your work is very good.

Try these places:

http://www.etsy.com
    http://www.artfire.com
    http://www.bigcartel.com/

I personally have a shop on Etsy and have bought and sold a LOT of art there. I'm currently looking into the other two, but some friends of mine have been having good luck getting sales.

4. it took Leonardo da Vinci 10 years just to complete the lips on the Mona Lisa.

nice art, but again, other artists can see little flaws.

we will help ya out :)

well not me... im too high and this isnt my medium. give me a potters wheels and im set :)

5. #5 wraughbit, Jan 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2009
    heh yeah I pretty much more or less wanted it just for an example. Not so much that I would be satisfied to sell it. I've got some neat graphite/colored pencil drawings too.

Thanks a lot for the responses guys, I will definitely look into that Penelope. I thought that might be the case too with ebay.

yeah if I wanted to do anything with this painting I woulda used a 1 or 2 point prespective so my windows don't come out crooked. :D

p.s. the left side of the house and the "forrest" on the left is what bothers me. no shadows or anything on the left side of the house. haha oh and on the right, that's steam coming up from a hot tub on the roof. ;)(which even looks better irl)

6. Wow, that's a very good watercolor. :) I've sold jewelry before on the aforementioned www.etsy.com. It really is a great site for selling any kind of art. If you want to sell multiples of prints and can't seem to go about the printing and shipping yourself, www.deviantart.com is an option. They overcharge, though. :( I'm trying to decide if I want to sell art on DA myself. For originals, though, and if you can print your own stuff, I highly recommend www.etsy.com.

7. yep sold some of my work. mostly prints to other artists, but occasionally animations to companies and drawings and sculptures through galleries and such. I'm in the process of deciding what older works I want to touch up and make into posters. I've got several in mind that I'll be taking to local headshops, local indie galleries and also selling through deviantart or ebay

8. This is something I want to start doing, but I'm not sure how to go about it... Any tips?