ever get your worms sent in the winter?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by greenmeany, Feb 2, 2010.

1. hey gang, gunna start getting more serious with vermicomposting so im gunna purchase some "super" red worms from uncle jims. even though they guarentee live delivery, has anyone here ever got their worms delivered in the winter? any problems with the worms being affected by the cold? thankgs again GC

2. Cold should not be a problem for a while, they are just a bit dormant. Bait shops have them for up to a week in the fridge. Where are you going to set them up? Do you live somewhere warm enough to do this outside, or an indoor worm grow op? Sounds like you will have plenty of castings this year.

3. alright thanks patrio. i figured that it may not be as big of an issue as i thought since i knew they did keep them in the fridge. im gunna have them in my tub system in the house. too cold outside right now and it just snowed yesterday! lol. and yeah im gunna be making some homemade worm casts and making tea. its just fun doing things yourself:hello:

4. HIGH All, patriofarmer is correct...I wouldn't worry.

Love Worms and their Shit...I have an Old Tub outside I use and when I'm Growing Trout Fishing I Dig them up in a Spot out in the Forest...I've been getting them for 30 years there...shit the Cost of 12 Dewys...(you might call them nightcrawlers) are $4.50 and the ones I don't use I throw in the Tub...plus other worms we find Digging and I use the Castings in the Holes I use for my Tom's and Peppers.

Oh and The Plants will Love the Tea.

5. alright im convinced. making the order right now! thanks again gang, once again gc coming through for me. good stuff :hello:

6. how many LB did you order?

7. oh im getting 250 worms but they are "super" worms. i guess theyre bigger and more hearty. i was even told they could you could put them right into the garden and theyd be cool whereas the regular red wigglers you cant. i guess theyre bigger and fatter too. well see

8. what is the scientific name of your worms ?

9. honestly maina, not even totally sure. they dont explicitly say on the site. this is the site right here:

250 Super Red Worms

10. It looks like you got Eisena Hortensis. They are great worms.i got 7lb of them last year.I think im up to 14lb now.They love oatmeal.You realy need to add small amounts of the finest snd you can find to there food just a sprinkl.I feed mine alot of horse shit.And veg. Freeze all your food first it breaks down faster.You want stuff moister not wet.

11. hmm ill try the freezing thing. and does the sand help them digest/break the waste down quicker? how fine should the sand be?

honestly man. ive already ordered the 250 from jims. i wouldve boughten from there but, can go back now.

12. yes the sand helps them break there food down.I got the finest sand i could find in a pet store .And freezing the food first is a big one.I even run mine threw a food chopper . no peppers,meat dairy or spicy stuff or foods with salt.no lemons .You may find that you will want more worms down the line.How much castings a year are yiu looking to go threw.I go threw around 120 gallons.

13. yeah ill prolly try freezing and i know chopping the shit up helps them to break it down qucker. i dunnno if il get m ore worms. ive heard they double in population farly quickly so im gunna make it an ongoing thing to propagate and feed these things. i would be more than willing to bet that i could feed a whole army of worms. always throwing away fruit and vegie waster and i can always get manure but i doubt id use it for that. and yeah i heard about them not like citrus so ill stay away form that. as fro how much i would like, i would love to get up to a 5 gallon pail full of pure black gold castings a month. then ill have enough to use for teas and for a headressing to the soil under the ladies here and there. and maina, think you could explain your setup to me? you can try to sum it up breifly as i know its easy to talk all day about vermicomposting! i love it lol. thanks again, peace:smoke:

14. I took a plastic 55 gallon drum and laid it down and took a skill saw and mad 20-25 slices in the bottom. The bottom of the drum is with a drum thats on its side.and then I cut a window in the top 2 feet long and 1 foot wide.And then hinged the lid taday:hello: You no what sucks! I cant spell for shit Got that from dad smart man 170 IQ spelled like a 5 year old :( Works great but It may be to big for you now.I add like 1-2 gallons of water a week to it to keep it moist not wet. AHHH yes the LOVE !!!!!!!!! oat meal I cook it first my self and they go nuts! I add paper and leaves and compost and mix it up for there beding.good luck

15. haha yeah man 55 gallons is an absloute shitload lol. not gunna need that much atleast not for what i gut going now. i just have a few 10 gallon tote rubbermaid bins that im using right now. i made a crappy little screen harvester similar to this :

Simple Homemade Multi Screen Worm Harvester | Worm Composting

It wasnt that bad, could be a lot better but its fine for now. i might make a simple 1/8" sifter so i can keep the baby worms and worm eggs and other stuff out of the final mix. ill prolly do that in the next few days. well see. and your doing 55gallon drums full? and also filing them with 2 gallons of water a week? go damn ive never added any water and i found alot of worms still alive. most of their water comes from food. BTW these castings i harvested today were from when i picked a few handfuls of manure worms out of a pile and threw them in a bin wiht some newspaper(wet) and some manure/soil and covered it up with some moist cardboard. how much castings(in volume ie. three 5 gallon buckets full per month etc.) do you get in a month? you gutta be pullin atleast 10 gallon of pure castings right?

16. Yes around 10 gallons a month.But I realy dont look at it per month more like I need 120 gallons per year for my soil mix at a 20% castings.I aso will be mixing it with my garding vegatables.Also compost tea will take 1/2 gallon of castings for each batch.The tea will be in 50 gallon batches.This goes on my garden,lawn,Pot plants.So My over all need is High.And yes the castings dry out ,one gallon of wet food in a fifty five gallon drum wasnt keeping the castings or beding moist.

17. yeah makes sense when you do it by year instead of by month. and how have you found the 20% castings mixture over the years?(i assume youve been doing this awhile! lol) and you use a half gallon of castings for 50 gallons of tea? what else ya throw in there maina? and i think im getting why youd have to water that fucker. sure sounds like a large systme ya gut and the food wsnt doin it. thanks again bro love hearin from a fello vermicomposter!

18. As for getting them in the winter I purchased some and they came through at the coldest time. When I got the package the horse manure they were in was frozen in places, but they are doing fine now, already saw a bunch of egg cocoons.

19. As long as they don't freeze solid, they should be okay. It may take a month or two for your bin to really get going, because the worms will need to adjust. The eggs should hatch during that time, too. Once you get the system going, expect to double your worm population every 2-3 months. Use the extras for fishing, or share some with friends.