Ever Feel Like You Wasted Your Life Playing Video Games?

Discussion in 'General' started by Chimera Prod, Apr 21, 2014.

1. I'm in my mid 20's and lately have been realizing how much time I spend playing games, its ridiculous when I look back on the amount of time I have wasted. I have a good job, degree & girlfriend, exercise, but often times I think, if I didn't spend so much time addicted to games or tv shows every free minute I could get, maybe I would be rich or maybe I would have contributed to science. 
    These days I've been getting more creative in 3d art with modeling & animation, It's just so hard to think about the time we waste

2. Yes but I had fun playing and still do.  Ever think you wasted your life smoking? But it's fun and still is.

3. Not at all.  My genera of choice is side-scrolling action games.

These games actually hone your spatial memory, and dramatically increase your reaction-time.  Now, i can snatch objects out of the air with ease.  I often catch objects as they just begin to fall, and i can set the hook while fishing much more reliably.

Videogames enhanced my creativity, inspired my artistic skill, and they're just good for the brain all around.

The reason these games are good for your brain, is because they force you to make quick decisions, they hone your ability to estimate jumping distance between platforms, etc.  Modern games generally lack this, because they dont rely on frames.

2D games need to make a comeback, because they are good for you!  Now it's all 3d MMORPG/FPS crap.

4. I feel you. Once I stopped playing for a couple of months, and when I started again I realized how much time I've wasted. A couple of hours a day where you could be doing something more productive, but shit gaming is awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

5. if you had fun it's not time 'wasted'

it was time enjoyed

6. As said above, if you enjoy the activity then no time has really been wasted.

Anyways you can die anyday so you might as well have a little fun.

7. Kind-of... but then i find 2 diamond ore in minecraft or complete a quest in skyrim or beat the original quake on nightmare... then i remember why I'm stting in front of my computer eating cheetos...

8. That shits addicting.....lol. Ive seen soooo many friends never come off of COD before!

I uest to play but it consumes you, thats why I dont play........you can spend your time doin better things IMO. Sure its fun but get outside

9. So addicting. I have spent at least the last 10 years being addicted to video games. Definitely a waste of time. It doesn't seem like it, but it is. Even though you have fun, you accomplish nothing. I am going to be selling my xbox before I move to college, and know that it is the right thing to do, because I can't play moderately.

10. I could never get into video games. My parents limited me though. I was only allowed 1hr of computer time at home until 11th grade and didn't get a cellphone until sophomore year.

Got my first Xbox late sophomore year for my birthday lol

So ya I never was allowed for it to run wild in my life. I'll sit down and play a few games of hearthstone every now n again but that's about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Finmmmn

11. Wish I treated life like a video game itself, increasing my exp from socializing becoming a networking mastermind & unlocking my pimpin achievements

12. Nope! I don't play video games, except for Mumbo Jumbo to keep my brain active! and I don't play it that much.

My sons are usually playing some game or another, and are constantly chattering about how the game "changed the recipe for ice" and such.

I just have too much going on in real life, to bother with the usual games!

Granny

13. Whatever makes you happy.  The only thing that is a waste of time is being somewhere you don't want to be.

14. Yup, pissed away a lot potential. Wasted pretty much all my high school experience on Xbox and Xbox games.

15. They didn't have them when I was growing up.  I got Genesis around the time it first came out, played it on and off for a couple of years, had a few computer games after that, and recently bought a windows 8.1 computer that came with a few games so I bought an XBox controller and set up a Steam account with a game.  I don't intend to game my life away, though, lol.

16. I put 50 days on black ops 2 after that I was done, thats 50 out of 365 definitely felt like I was wasting my life, I don't play at all anymore.. I agree that it has definite benefits with reaction time and spatial thinking etc. but I was spending way too much time

17. Definitely. I don't spend alot of time playing video games but I do watch alotta Netflix and spend time on the internet. Especially in high school, I just never really had any interests in anything productive and I wish I would have,

Oh yeah I also go to a ridiculous amounts of concerts and buy CDs, vinyls, merch, etc. like crazy and I don't even play music myself. Kind of a weird and expensive hobby

expensive but if you enjoy it its worth it right?

btw funny sig hahaha

19. #19 black sabbath, Apr 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2014
    I enjoy the shit out of it, right behind my laptop I probably have 100 plus Cd's all bought in 2013. It's just that it's not like it gets me any farther in life ya know, I could just illegally download shit but I choose not to

20. nope. been playing video games all my life an don't plan on stopping, it was a pretty big part of my child hood along with playing extreme freeze tag and shit outside. i still play them all the time in my free time, but thats after work, after chores, after other responsibilities. sure maybe i could be working out or reading instead and i do chose to do those often but if i wanna sit down unwind and go on an adventure or start gang wars, or kill bad guys or be the bad guy i'm gonna do it and i'm gonna enjoy it. not a waste of time if you're enjoying it. and like homeboy said up there ^ they don't just rot your brain, they do improve reaction time, problem solving, hand eye coordination, lots of puzzle base games that get you thinking. its like saying drawing or appreciating someones drawing is a waste of time. but no one would say that because its art, but so is a video game, alot of time and work and creativity goes into the hours upon hours of gaming experience that the player gets to play, appreciate and enjoy. takes just as much if not more skill to create a good video game as it does to make a great painting. and there is no difference in appreciating a good painting and a good video game, sure the time you spend appreciating the game is way more than the painting but its not time wasted.

and then the people shittin on video games but watch honey boo boo and duck dynasty religiously, get the fuck outta here, the doors thatta way ---->

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum