Even out the canopy and gender question.

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by blazing4204365, Jul 3, 2016.

1. Hello GC!

So, I'm in the first stages of my farming-career haha and I'm going for a perpetual sog-grow. I'm waiting for some seeds i ordered a couple of days a go, but a month back or so i germinated 6 bagseeds that i was thinking was gonna give me 2-3 ladies to start flowering while the sog-project is just about to start from germination (when my seeds arrive).

One of the plants started showing gender during veg, and 6 days in to 12/12 - they all show female signs (se pics below)

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

All 6 plants has these white hairs, and i have Done my homework so i know that is female signs, but since 6 out of 6 show the same signs and as early as in 4-5 days (I've read that it can take anything from one to six weeks into flowering before they show sex) I'm just looking for someone more experienced to confirm that they actually all females? Did i get it right?

And my second question is; since they're all bagseeds I've saved from different strains, obviously they grow a bit different. See pic below.

[​IMG]

The two in the back are significantly taller then the rest of the plants, and since i just switched them to 12/12 hps lights from MH lights, they will stretch some more and i was thinking about topping them to stop the initial flower stretching and by that, even the canopy out, at the same time.

Would that "work"? Or will they still grow to different for the intention of the topping to be useless? If not, do i just top the main tops just like when first topping a plant in veg?

Sorry if my grammet or spelling is off, but I'm from europe and english is not my language.

Thanks for a great community!

2. They do appear female to me too.sometimes with bagseed the nuts can appear well into flower(roughly wk 5)then u should kno 100%.as for canopy i only top/fim n veg,if u want to even it out like u say,id try lst,u can lst just the taller ones...i think its everyones preference, i like the stretch so i wouldnt try slowing it down,in if yur doing sog u can pick clones into wk 4 or so with good results,so the stretch would aid in that cause instead of healing from topping you will get multiple branches to clone.

3. The best way to even out the canopy is to place a grid over the top of your plants. As the fast tops push through the grid, pull them over to a hard to reach hole. Keep doing this until all the holes in the grid are filled

upload_2016-7-3_6-37-2.png

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  4. Thank you guys for the replies!

About the grid-solution, that seems to me like a later-stage-scrog type of solution. I might combine that with kkeniffs lst idea!

Lsting the ones in the back of the tent and then put a grid over the plants to set a max-height for the smaller ones, to grow in to.

Again, thanks for the replies!

The time is 16.20 in my part of the World, so you know whats up!

5. So I was like 2 months into veg on some mixed strains one of which was an afghan regular, I swore this thing showed sex after about 30 or so days so I didn't really pay it much mind, flipped to flower and still really didn't pay much attention to the plant as everything looked really healthy and thriving , about a week into flower I am screwing with the plants , I look a little closer and it's COVERED in balls, by this point I have 2 other giant plants in the tent with it, as soon as I noticed I took it out and chucked it in the woods, there is a good possibility it pollinated my other 2 plants in flower, I'm keeping a close eye from now on
    My point is even if a plant seems to show sex, always keep an eye out, a couple more days and my whole tent definitely would have been a seed crop

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

6. As far as a big even canopy with out a net or scrog, is just training the canopy, I personally use a combo of supercropping and tying down [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  7. what is a later stage scrog?. I start training during veg.

We have tried fim, topping, all kinds of low stress training, and they seemed all work to some extent. Of all methods, cutting topping breaking of anything caused some recovery and extended out cycle time.

Tying and scrog kept pace, except scrog was a lot less work for us.

A simple method is to place the screen at 50% of your target harvest height. This measurement includes the containers.

Knowing your harvest height will maximize your space. Unfortunately it is impossible to know this measurement on the first cycle. Keeping good notes on the first cycle on a new clone/seed is key. All you have to do is record the number of days you did in veg cycle and your plants height at the time of the flip. Then record the actual harvest height. Make adjustment to the veg days on the next cycle (more if you want taller plants, less if you need them a bit shorter).

Peace, R.