Euthanasia and Assisted Suicide (Deep thoughts)

Discussion in 'General' started by Sir_Spanks, Dec 3, 2008.

1. I had to write a argumentative public speech for class (one side of a debate) and it really invoked some deep thinking.
    This was my own topic to write on and chose it because its a very controversial topic...And my instructor said hes heard too many marijuana legalization papers (ha.)
    I chose to be pro euthanasia not for any specific reason other than the fact that I'm pro choice.

If anybody requests I will post my speech but only for informative purposes!! But this is more to see how you feel about it.

Are you for or against? Have you been put in a situation involving this topic?

2. Honestly nobody has anything to say about this?

3. I dont understand why anybody would argue against.

4. Just incase your not 100% sure, its not just for the people in hospital beds waiting to die, its for the severely depressed as well.

5. Obviously all other methods should be explored and exhausted, but if there is no other solution, than euthanasia should be a valid option.

6. I agree to a point.

I wouldnt want people just having some one go to there home shoot them in the head and say have a nice day and leave. thats fucked up haha

but if i was depressed and my religion was against suicide, sure. why not.

but if i was depressed.. id hop on my bike and go as fast as a i can in to a wall. 200mph in to a wall is a fast way to go :) i've almost done it a few times,(not on purpose).

7. You own your body. Suicides and assisted suicides should be legal for any reason, just as with marijuana.

8. This is one of those "controversial subjects" that 90% of the public believes in and the other 10% is extremely vocal. All of them are religious and very narrow-minded. There is nothing wrong with assisted suicide or euthanasia, both are the persons choice.

9. I think assisted suicide should be an option, not because I'd go out like that but what the fuck does the government care? they're actin like they kill people against their will. te mato.

10. All I can think of is pineapple express at this point..

11. ^^ is that sig the Black Keys?

And yes, my life, my choice. Same for anyone else. Keep your shit out of my pudding.

12. why yes it is. :)

13. I would read the essay... That is if i remember to check this thread again.

14. I think that if there is a reasonable amount of physical suffering then assisted suicide/euthanasia should definitely be 100% legal.

If you're only mentally sick then I see no reason professionals should help you kill yourself, they should try to help you not kill yourself. If you really want to you can figure it out yourself.

15. I dunno if you read this article or not, DirtyPete, but it is on this subject exactly:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7697237.stm

16. I've done quite a few papers on this actually for a philosophy of life and death class..

The bigger argument seemed to be personal autonomy, and when you should be able to make these decisions. Just because someone is having a bout of depression and thinks that euthanizing themselves would be worth it, they are not in their normal state of mind. So they should be unable to make this decision.

Im in favor of assisted suicide, but it does come with some stipulations. Like I said above, just because you're depressed it doesnt mean we should be handing out cyanide pills to everyone who has thoughts of suicide.

17. Yes, I agree with euthanasia but for the terminally ill and dying. I wrote my speech on the fact that there would be no stipulations other than depression. It wasn't easy to write by any means..