Essential Plant Nutrients

Discussion in 'Marijuana Growing Guides' started by Vitamin 420, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Get the necessities for your plants down before you tinker with nutrient levels - you want to make sure your plants are comfortable with the current temperature, soil, pH, etc etc. Then once you feel you have gotten those down, you can tweak their food a little bit, depending on how you see fit.

I would try to find a complete source of all of the essential nutrients if you can. If you can't, get two that have N-P-K ratios on-par with what you need to veg/flower, and then pick up a bottle of trace minerals so you can apply them separately.

2. thanks for the reply, i think you should have been a brain surgeon. people like you that make dummies like me succeed in grows.

3. hey, I'm growing indoors for the first time with coco soil. Most plants are doing good but purple kush is looking small and tired. PH is around 6. Does pk like lower PH?

4. Purple kush is a pure indica so it might be that, doesn't it only grow like 2-3 feet tall anyways? Well, if it's looking tired then I'd feed it some nutrients based on what deficiencies you notice, but do it over the course of a week or so. Otherwise, make sure it's getting enough light and isn't being beaten out by taller sativas, and make sure it's getting enough water and the roots have enough room, etc etc... you want to narrow down as many possibilities before you start tinkering ;)

5. Good Info!! thankz:hello::hello:

6. hey thanks for the help man. i picked up a bottle of this stuff yesterday http://sog.open24x7.biz/catalog/pro...d=566&osCsid=51d8c2c3e6cfbfe03a8d3e39732f36a6
    it is N-P-K 1.9.1

the guy at the shop could tell what i was growing and i asked him what would be the best for the flowering stage and he pointed me towards that stuff.
    gave my plant the first lot of it yesterday.........im guessing that is the rite stuff for my plant at the moment with low levels of nitrogen and high phospherus?

7. That bat guano looks pretty good, a 1-9-1 ratio isn't bad. Hope your plants end up liking it :) I'll take a look at the grow journal, be sure to post some pics up in a few weeks!

8. Good info so what can I do if my leads are curling up but don't have burns and are the leafs suppose to be dark green kind of like blue it's an indica

9. since i feed it to the plant on saturday iv noticed GREAT results......no more leaves dying and buds are really taking off.
    Also noticed how bad tap water is for plants and either buy water or catch rain water.

Tap water = lots of dead leaves ppl dont do it!

i update my journal weekly dude il deff update u when iv harvested let u know how it did :D

thanks for the help again man i give u +rep everytime it will let me :D

10. Thanks for the info ... my father runs a small hobby farm and has an abundance of differant ferts .. and thus i have access to allsorts of stuff haah i will play around in the vege patch with you theory and see how i go .. i beleve my beans could do with a boost of magnesium well fuck ma spelling but you get my point great info!!

11. vitamin420 I know you didnt post this thread as a diagnostic but you really seem to know your shit, can you please give me your ideas as to whats wrong with this plant, its a g13 labs thai super skunk that has been in 12/12 trying to sex. I have never had one yellow like this, there are 4 others two of them have a yellow leaf or two but this is the worst.. thanks in advance for your help.

Attached Files:

12. No problem man, we're all here to help each other out ;) from the looks of it, you haven't been in 12/12 for too long huh. Do you ever trim your leaves? It may just be that those old leaves are starting to die, since they don't photosynthesize at the rate of younger leaves...

My only other guess would be to check your nutrients twice. See where the chlorosis is coming from, it could be from an imbalance of a couple different nutrients. Read that first part under "common deficiency symptoms" and it should help you :)

13. ok will do, do you think I may have been overwatering? and the weird thing is they have been in 12/12 for 14 days and still not showing sex, I want to veg. them till they are about 3 feet but still no sex

14. Poke your finger about 3 inches in the soil. If it's damp at that level, there's no need to water... however if it is dry the a little watering wouldn't hurt :) Remember, it's always safer to water less, but more frequently, rather than watering a lot at once.

How long did you keep them in veg for?

15. I only vegged for about 3 weeks along with 6 other plants that have all shown sex, these thai skunks just dont want to show me. how do you sex your plants vitamin 420

16. The flowering period might just be really long on those plants, or since you only vegged for 3 weeks they might still wanna be growing. Sativas like to get tall and lanky :smoke: keep them under 12/12 and make sure they're looking good, and be patient. They'll eventually show.

17. hey man, I'm looking to get some nutrients and I know quality products are the best, but i'm not looking to break the bank. I only have a 10 gallon reservoir, so I don't need massive amounts of nutrients. Any suggested brands i should look into?

thanks

18. Nope, nothing off the top of my head, sorry man. Shop around for whatever you feel is the best choice for your plants... if you want to save some cash and not spend a whole lot, then look at some organic products. There's an endless amount of choices. Good luck! :smoke:

19. #59 -lick-Nick, Jul 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2009
    Yo Vitamin!
    Thnx 4 the nice post and info!!! Clear explenation... Rep+ also
    But I have a question for you. Don't mind my english, I am a Dutch speaker...
    What about CO2 as a nutrient? Growers always seem to forget this one. In tapwater (at least down here) it is filtered out bcuz deamed harmfull.
    I have an aquarium full of plants and in the aquarium CO2 is THE most important nutrient. Of course, the plants need the rest too, but slowly die off with lack of CO2. People without it have to buy new plants as replacements on a regular basis.
    Carbon is a basic buildingstone for our babies and plants in general. Over 50% of their substance is made out of it and they get it out of CO2 in order to make fructose (plantsugar), which is ofcourse beneficial for us... Also, it enables you to control the PH in your tank naturally without any additives which have the same effect as acid rain.
    CO2 is absorbed by the leaves, everybody knows that. But naturally, water contains a certain level of it... So the roots must absorb louds too...
    Can anybody tell me more about this subject? i use water from the same aquarium to water my babies. In my opinion I have better results then my friends who use the same equipment and batch of seeds, due to CO2 addition. Faster and stronger growth, bigger and harder buds.

Grtz $lick

20. Hmm, I should probably add something about CO2. Thanks for that suggestion :)

Anyways, relative to your question, I think carbon dioxide addition is a great idea, especially during the flowering phase. A lot of people overlook it, but it can be a pretty easy DIY, all you need is some yeast, water, and sugar.

But I don't know about dissolving CO2 into the roots... roots respire, so they need oxygen not CO2; furthermore, CO2 is absorbed through the stomata on the leaves of the plant, so I don't see how dissolved CO2 helps in growth, but I guess if it helps you get bigger yields I can't argue with that....