Essential Plant Nutrients

Discussion in 'Marijuana Growing Guides' started by Vitamin 420, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Thank you.You have bee very helpful,:hello::wave::hello:

2. lmao, i new all this and didnt realize i could apply it 2 my digimon, thx dude

3. thanks for the info! :)

4. You have been a huge help.

5. i just joined grass city and this is my first post i have read, great info man keep it up :)

6. good write up on the plant nutrients

i have a question, my plants have a nitrogen deficiency right now, they are pretty small (about 3-4 inches) but are bushy bc i have cfls lie right on them.

can i use bloom booster fert 15-30-15 on my plants for the nitrogen it has? or will the high levels of phos fuck my plants up. i cant find my 20-20-20 all purpose fert or i would use that.

Thanks

7. #27 Vitamin 420, May 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2009
    Can you take a couple of pics of the deficiency? I think it'd help me better gauge what your needs are. And, as far as balancing the nitrogen levels are concerned, I would advise that you do so gradually - adjust the food to contain slightly higher levels of nitrogen over the course of 3-4 feedings, and make sure your pH is balanced!!!

Go ahead and give your plants some of your own urine. 1 part urine for 10 parts water, and that should be diluted enough - but once again, you want to make sure the pH is balanced before you feed them

• Like Like x 1
  8. Hey there GREAT thread bout time someone made one on nutrients REP+

Just a quick question.............i have a plant at the moment that is in the first few days of flowering :D.......when it was in the VEG stage i was giving it seaweed plant food.
    I made sure the stuff was fine before feeding to the plant here on GC altho one person said it wouldnt do much for the plant in the flowering stage?

What do u think heres some info from the back of the bottle any help would be great.

nitrogen 9%
    phosphorus 3%
    potassium 7%

plus all growth hormones and soil conditioning factors present in seaweed

9. #29 Vitamin 420, May 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2009
    Hey thanks dude :) I'm glad this is was a good resource for you, thanks for the input.

As far as nutrition is concerned, during the flowering cycle the plant stops producing chlorophyll for vegetative growth (so it stops assimilating nitrogen at such an impressive rate) and it begins to focus on production of the flowers. This is a very complex stage, and is not very well understood by the scientific community, because there is a variety of different proteins and elements that, ultimately, result in a shift from vegetative to flowering. Some plants don't even respond to light/dark cycles to trigger the flowering stage!! :eek: Imagine if MJ was like that.

But luckily it's not, we got lucky with a plant that has been shown to respond favorably to altered light/dark cycles, and for this reason it makes things a lot easier. However, the amount of light they receive is not the only factor. The nutrition they are given is crucial too - remember, this is a different cycle of the plant's life, and it therefore has different metabolic activities.

Phosphorus is to flowering what nitrogen is to vegetative. You want to make sure you change the nutrients because the plant will want to use more phosphorus to produce flowers - not photosynthetic chlorophyll! Take a quick read through the description of Phosphorus in the original post, there's a lot of good info about why you want it :) I would definitely switch up the fertilizer a little bit, it looks like there's excessive nitrogen for the amount of phosphorus present. Take a look at some tomato fertilizers that are meant for flowering, and find one that works for you. Each plant is different so I unfortunately cannot attest to any composition ratio or brand name, but with lots of love and care you should find what your plant likes the best.

And, on a side note, you can drop the temperature by a couple of degrees as well. I don't remember the names of the plant hormones off the top of my head, but there are some that are responsible (they are temperature-sensitive!) for a transition into flowering as well. It is much in the same way that phytochromes are responsible for sensing light (or a lack of) and inducing different proteins to be synthesized as a result.

Hope that helps. Good luck with the flowering!

10. i wish i had waited till someone responded before i gave it the seafood nutes this morning.

will it still be ok? it has only JUST started flowering today would be the second should i flush it out maybe?

thanks for the help..... i love GC and all its info :D

11. Yes, it should be okay. Don't worry about flushing it out, let the plant utilize the rest of the nitrogen and then slowly begin to adjust the phosphorus levels, do it over the course of 2-4 waterings, depending on how the plants are doing each time. It's better for the plant to slowly let off the nitrogen as opposed to cutting it off at once, so pay attention to how they're doing.

I'd say the same thing for flowering... gently easing the plant into flowering is much better for it than suddenly fucking with the light cycle. The closer you can get to mimicking nature's stimulus', the better off your plant will be. You've already gone one day into flowering so it's probably wise to keep doing it how you currently are, but I think I might add a section on this in the writeup... you've given me a good idea :)

12. thanks, this told me alot of stuff i needed to know about proper soil use.

13. I would use two of the three parts of General Hydroponics. Use Micro And Bloom Formulas. Use 10ml ea for veg and 8ml micro/ 16 ml bloom for flower/fruit stage. works great for peppers, to signal time to flip.

14. this is one of my first posts that i wrote on too haha :wave:

15. Hydroponic nutrients are often complex and can sometimes giving your plants what they need can be tricky, especially without leaf tissue analysis. Thanks for taking the time to post this guide. Hydroponic nutrients and pH go hand in hand, and keeping the balance is one the true growers biggest strenghts. Keep up the good work!

16. hey Vitamin 420.........have another question for you.

Can you tell me if this stuff will be good for my plant which is in the 2nd week of flowering.

"Budzilla is very high in potassium and other trace elements that stimulate flower bud formation and enhance bud size and quality. Budzilla is formulated from the finest grades of mineral salts and chelated trace elements to give you optimum flowering from your hydroponic plants.

N.P.K 20.5.30"

17. I don't know man, it depends on how your plants are responding. You can only quantify half the process of growing, the other half you have to just feel out. If Budzilla works on your plants and they respond well to it, then keep it coming, but otherwise just experiment.

Relative to your question, I think that Budzilla has too much nitrogen and not enough phosphorus. Maybe a little too much potassium too, because the ratio between P and K is 1:6 and that's not good for the absorption of P. But then again, I'm just crunching numbers and not eating your nutrients, so listen to your plants if their opinions are different than mine :)

18. Wow this guide is really helpful! I can't wait to start growing. I love GC, from the buds to the experts and great community you guys are the best example of how bud can unite people. :smoking:

19. thanx very useful stuff i always new my girls needed just didnt know what each nute did thanx again and hope to hear more from you in the future:smoking:

20. awesome information. How do i go about putting this info to use. a few grows deep and this is one issue i need to take strides in. What do you recommend buying to start with a good reference to start with. Then when you identify the deficeincy must i have buy individually each one of these nutes to adjust them. I have no problem building things, designing things, but my green thumb skillz are almost nonexistent. None the less, very good article.