epsom salts

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by lightgreenhay, Jul 22, 2012.

1. I hear some people saying water with epsom salts but isnt that the reason we flush due to salt build up why would you add salt to your water. can someone explain this whole process.

2. Epsom salts are also good vegetative state additive. I used two bags on my back yard and it helped the grass grow very nicely. Bermuda grass that it. We used sprinkle it around our tomato plants to. You find it in the Rx section at Wal-Mart. Go read the bag and see what it does and /or google epsom salt on plants.

3. The salt that can build up in the soil is Sodium Chloride and is harmful to your plants at relatively low levels. Epsom salt is Magnesium Sulfate, a completely different compound which supplies the micronutrients Magnesium and Sulfur as its proper name suggests. Plants need a great deal more Mg and S (particularly Mg) than Sodium or Chlorine and so can tolerate much higher concentrations of Epsom salt than table salt.

4. so theres no magnesium sulfate in regular soil or fertilizer

5. There is if the manufacturer puts it there. Some potting soils and fertilizers have Epsom salt in them but not many. Any fully organic ones won't, of course.

Sorry for the delayed response