Epoxy bong fix question

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories Q&A' started by mtndairymilk, Feb 21, 2010.

1. So the joint broke on my Left Coast 18" about a month ago and up until today i had just pieced it back together with duct tape. Only one side of the joint actually broke off (into relatively large pieces) so I was able to piece it back together. Today I took that all apart and put everything back together using some JB Kwik epoxy. It set and everything and is now just going to cure for a few hours until i actually try to use it. My main question though is whether or not I can use Rubbing Alcohol to still clean this piece? I know you can use alcohols as thinners for mixing epoxy but I can't figure out if it would affect it post-curing. My guess is that it wouldn't really make a difference once the epoxy drys, but if it does, would simple green or some other solution be a good alternative to the salt/iso method?

Thanks everyone

2. I imagine it wouldn't affect it after it has cured.

3. I have used epoxy many times, Make sure the pieces of glass are super clean before you put epoxy on them it give it a better hold-

4. Do you know if isopropal alcohol will affect the epoxy bond?

5. Yea... once it dries there should be no problems, but give it enough time or else you will have fume issues! Makes sure it airs out well.

6. Word. It's been drying for about 3 or 4 hours now and it's taking a lot of willpower to not pack it up. Shit's rock solid already but I don't know if I should wait a full 24 hours or something before I use it.

7. My new Delta 9 just broke and I bought some glass glue off ebay. I might have to contact a legit glass blower to fix it though.
    [​IMG]

8. All fixed! Cleaned it with iso/salt (didn't get everything cuz i was kinda rushing) but the epoxy seemed to hold up. I'll prolly eventually sand down the epoxy or something to make it look cleaning but i think it gives the bong character.

Not only has this thing been broken and put back together, but my mom found it the day after i got it when i was moving back to college after thanksgiving break and threw it away. My friend fished it out of the trash later that night haha.

Good ol franken-dumpster baby
    [​IMG]

9. You should have went with a clear 2 ton epoxy that gray looks kinda yuck-

10. I have been told that glass glue is super toxic,

11. Gorilla glue for glass!! Its the best it dries clear and holds like a camp!!!

12. Is that a reference to concentration camps and their ability to hold?

13. LOL I meant champ!

14. I don't know about that... i'm not holding the flame to the glass glue.