Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Epilepsy

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by Bob_Gnarly, Apr 7, 2010.

1. i was diagnosed with epilepsy when i was 14 years old. since then i've been taking 1500mg Depakote ER daily. about 5 or 6 years ago i found out that marijuana can help treat epilepsy and since then i've been trying to find out as much as i can. however it isn't exactly easy. i live in a state that doesn't permit the medical use of cannabis. i plan on studying neuropharmacology when i go back to school in the fall and i'd like to do a report on epilepsy and marijuana. i was wondering if there are any epileptics on GC that use medical marijuana to treat their epilepsy or if anyone has any information regarding this subject. also, for those who have epilepsy i'd like to know what medications you take for it and if anyone knows if there are any particular strains that work better than others for epilepsy.

peace, love & bud:smoke:

2. i appreciate it but i've already read most of those articals. i was kinda hoping for some stories of personal experience or something and what strains (if any) are more effective than others. so far i've found nothing about the strains unfortunatly:(

3. I have photosensitive epilepsy and take 2x divalproex sodium 500mg a day. I don't find any strains that work better than others, however I do find that when I eat pot it seems to give me slightly better protection.

Hope this helps, any more questions just give me a shout!

4. i have juvenile myoclonic epilepsy. treats and hash oil seem to work the best for me when it comes to cannabis. i don't think its a complete replacement for my meds but the weed definatly helps. when i smoke i don't require such a high dose of the pills which is nice. i used to take alot of xanax & hydrocodone and i used to drink quite a bit. with all the pills and alcohol i've injested over the years i'm sure my liver is going to be fucked if i have to keep taking such a heavy dose. does your divalproex ever cause you to have mood swings? for me it feels like it does. i'll get really depressed and un-motivated or really happy and full of energy all of a sudden and i don't know why. when it happens i know that my emotional state is irrational but i can't help it. i did some more reading into divalproex and apparently its also used to treat symptoms of bipolar disorder. i was wondering if this might have something to do with it since i have bipolar II. however, i just recently found out about the bipolar thing and i was wondering if it could have been brought on by the meds. like a side effect or something.

5. I used to be prescribed alll kinds of meds, mostly for mental illness's... the doctors told me I would probably have to take medicine for the rest of my life! Well I took there shit for awhile, it just made me sicker...Zombie mode. Now all I take is some mary jane to ease the pain! Does me well I think, I'm happy! :smoke:

SMOKE WEED EVERYDAY!

6. #7 Sevs, Apr 7, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2010
    I have sleep deprivation epilepsy and it helps me relax/sleep.

7. my gf's got junior epilepsy....scary shit.

she was taking all sorts of anti epilepsy meds, and wound up on keppra.

that is not a good pill.

gave her nightmares, thoughts of death and just morbid shit.

I think her trigger is lack of sleep, so were not sure if weed has any affect on it, she weened herself off the meds cause they make her feel like she's in a fog all day not fully "there" she's been doin ok since... any info on thc vs epilepsy would be greatly appreciated.:wave: