Enormous Gas Cloud Found Surrounding The Milky Way

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by YEM, Sep 25, 2012.

1. [​IMG]

As large as our Milky Way is, scientists have discovered that it is embedded in a massive cloud of gas. How massive? This halo made of hot gas is hundreds of thousands of light years across and weighs as much as all the stars in our galaxy put together.
    The halo of gas was observed by astronomers through NASA's Chandra X-Ray Observatory.
    "Our work shows that, for reasonable values of parameters and with reasonable assumptions, the Chandra observations imply a huge reservoir of hot gas around the Milky Way," said co-author Smita Mathur of Ohio State University in Columbus. "It may extend for a few hundred thousand light-years around the Milky Way or it may extend farther into the surrounding local group of galaxies. Either way, its mass appears to be very large."

The cloud is made up of elements like oxygen and hydrogen. The ratio of each one in relation to each other can help determine the mass of this gas cloud.
    Once the size and mass of the halo of gas is confirmed, it could help explain an astronomical mystery known as the case of the "missing bayrons."
    Bayrons are essentially made up of particles such as protons and neutrons. The only problem is that current measurements of bayrons seem to only show half of what should be there.
    "Although there are uncertainties, the work by Gupta and colleagues provides the best evidence yet that the galaxy's missing baryons have been hiding in a halo of million-Kelvin gas that envelopes the galaxy. The estimated density of this halo is so low that similar halos around other galaxies would have escaped detection," said NASA in a statement.

Who would have known?

Enormous Gas Cloud Found Surrounding The Milky Way : World : Latinos Post

2. Very interesting!great post

3. So maybe dark matter isn't needed as this might account for the missing mass needed to keep the outter stars in the galaxy from being flung out

4. we were soo totaly meant to explore space....

5. We're trapped in a massive fart!

6. Perhaps somewhat of a correction could be made to the commonly accepted missing ratios, but there is also the problem of dark energy, i.e. why the cosmos is still expanding at superluminal rates that increase through time.

7. I wonder if our galaxy will become much bigger as this gas cloud condenses.

8. Kinda look like a giant space alien vagina

9. [quote name='"generalvape"']So maybe dark matter isn't needed as this might account for the missing mass needed to keep the outter stars in the galaxy from being flung out[/quote]

I've always believed dark natter was just matter we couldn't find.

I don't think there is some magical material.

I'm a pot head atheist whos favorite musician is eminem. that should be enough to form.your opinion.

10. Totally!,I can feel it embedded in my DNA but its not there,Ya know?
    Like I feel I should be hunting and out there in Nature,But I'm not.

11. We know nothing..damn

12. Oh, my gosh! That is so rad. Space is the most interesting thing.

13. Maybe this is why the entire night sky is not very bright from all the stars we see. This gas cloud is hindering our view and the only stars we actually see are the ones bright enough for the light to reach us. If this gas cloud was removed or we traveled outside of it and space was truly empty then the entire night sky would be bright from all the stars and maybe help solve Olber's Paradox

14. [quote name='"hundredgrand"']Maybe this is why the entire night sky is not very bright from all the stars we see. This gas cloud is hindering our view and the only stars we actually see are the ones bright enough for the light to reach us. If this gas cloud was removed or we traveled outside of it and space was truly empty then the entire night sky would be bright from all the stars and maybe help solve Olber's Paradox[/quote]

I doubt it. The density of the gas is insanely low.

The gas in our own solar system is thicker then that gas

pot head atheist gamer with no job. judge me.

Not to mention we can see stars in nebula which are super dense compared to it.

15. Wouldn't the small density add up over a great distance though? And stars are inside the nebula, I'm not saying the gas stops light from being emitted, if we viewed our galaxy we could see the stars in it. But maybe it stops the veeeerrryyy faint light from very distant stars with its small density

16. [quote name='"hundredgrand"']

Wouldn't the small density add up over a great distance though? And stars are inside the nebula, I'm not saying the gas stops light from being emitted, if we viewed our galaxy we could see the stars in it. But maybe it stops the veeeerrryyy faint light from very distant stars with its small density[/quote]

Yes you are right. The gas probly blocks the light from some very distant sources.

But that light is probly insignificant compaired to the light.blocked by gas inside the galaxy. We would to leave completely to notice the change.

If my understanding is correct there is a maximum distance we can see 14 billion light years? This is because of the cosmic microwave background?

Not really sure but I think even if the dust and gas wasn't there we would be limited.

There really is no substitute for a.closer look "-" we need to get back into the exploration age.

We finished level 1 earth. Its time to unlock the expansion pack.

pot head atheist gamer with no job. judge me.