Enlightenment?

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by windchime159, Jul 28, 2010.

1. what is enlightment? is it a dramatic transformtion in which you become perfect and have light glitering from your skin? The buddha told us that all people have the buddha nature within them but if thats true where are todays enlightenies? do any exsist? are they hiding? or is enlightment much more simple and subtle then we take it for?...

just wondering what anyone thinks buddhists or otherwise

2. im pretty sure they dont turn in to the vampire from twilight bro

3. Enlightenment is not living in illusion, or believing in delusions. Nor being a slave to your ego, and freedom from suffering.

Ultimately Enlightenment is being "awake."

4. Enlightenment is achieved by knowing the Truth.

5. #5 1Trismegistus1, Jul 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2010
    Those who know do not speak, those who speak do not know. The ones who know only speak as much as humanity is ready to understand. Those who claim to preach all of the Mysteries are charlatans and liars. Enlightenment is found in the last place one seeks it.

A building with no windows and no doors had a sign in the front saying "Inquire Within for Enlightenment"

Enlightenment goes beyond words, so I could not explain what it is to you.

6. Seems like you've just contradicted yourself.

Yet you say the ones who know only speak as much as humanity is ready to understand - so even though they know they obviously still choose to speak sometimes.

Yet you say the ones who know only speak as much as humanity is ready to understand - so even though they speak they obviously can still know.

Rather confusing don't you think?

[​IMG]

7. my major concern is what does cannabis have to play in with enlightenment?

can i attain enlightenment and still chief?
    or am i just paranoid?

alot of people on these forums seem like they are interested in enlightenment but i dont ever see any one question ganja in contrast to enlightenment...

its a plant, im pretty sure they brew tea outta plants, so i dont see why there should be an issue...
    but from my limited knowledge i dont think they use it in tiibet, or the monks/people in retreats that is.

I have read somewhere tho that there was "secret herbs" that was used by.... idk how to say it wise men? teachers? people that were closer than say the common man?

this was just reading from a forum somwhere so dont quote me on that....

8. Secret herbs? Meh, too metaphysical for me. As far as marijuana used in correlation with enlightenment, it depends on the person. Marijuana effects people differently. If you believe that it's helped you on your spiritual journey throughout the years, then yes, it could be helpful. But if it has walled you away from insight then it's obviously not healthy. It all depends on the person.

9. Take a look at Jesus used Marijuana

10. Enlightenment is defined as,
    education that results in understanding and the spread of knowledge
    nirvana: (Hinduism and Buddhism) the beatitude that transcends the cycle of reincarnation; characterized by the extinction of desire and suffering and individual consciousness
    As a person you would be on a level of consciousness with ever living thing. Which brings into question whether so call enlightment is something that one would want to achieve. To know all the worrible things that are going on in the world and to feel all the surffering would be to much for one person to handle. Sure Knowledge is a good think but being all knowing would de-humantize a person. They would be more like a god than a human being.
    Rebutle?

11. The end of suffering.

12. People are to ignorant to listen to a man with no proff

13. okie dokie i see that but, that doesnt quite help ,e. nor was it quite what i was looking for.

if you knew where there was something like that but with bhuddism that would be , much more beneficial.

ooff to google

14. to know others is to be wise

to know ones self.....is to be enlightened

nice and simple....nothing more to it

like the man said...

only if you have no idea what it means ....

15. Christianity doesn't teach enlightenment like Dharmic religions do.

16. there book and their teaching do actually....its just so hidden that you really have to seek to find it....and 98% of the people who follow "religions" are not into it to do all that work for themselves.....

they just want someone to tell them that they will be ok if they do as they are told.....

part of the problem with religion is the type of "followers" it attracts....

the other part is the "people" in charge....

so the whole problem with all religion is people!

to become enlightened one must stop following people and follow what is found inside

:smoking:I really dont have a clue

17. You'll come to find that most wisdom comes in seeming contradictions.

18. there is no end to suffering

there is however an acceptance of it for what it is....

next thing you know you can enjoy it as much as you can anything elts

19. very true

I let go of the law,
    and people become honest.
    I let go of economics,
    and people become prosperous.
    I let go of religion,
    and people become serene.
    I let go of all desire for the common good,
    and the good becomes common as grass.

20. Hehe, I suggest you read up on some Buddhist texts, then maybe you'll find some answers. Also, the end to suffering IS enlightenment, as the Buddha teaches it.