English accent in America

Discussion in 'Sex, Love & Relationships' started by rastaziggy, Jul 5, 2015.

1. I was just wondering how the English accent goes down in America? I am going to college in America and I'm pretty nervous about standing out like a sore thumb. For example, when there was an American in my lecture who spoke out loud everyone in the class couldn't help but turn around and stare at the guy. The only reason was because it was just unexpected and I feel this will happen to me a lot. Also, I've heard that the girls in America love the accent how true is this? I've been told that even some American guys have faked the accent to pull women xD

2. I think it might depend on the "English accent". If you sound like a cockney cartoon with a mouthful of pancreas pie (or some other organ meat), you might get a lot of stares but probably not as many chicks as you might hope for. If you have a soft English accent or Irish or even Scottish accent, you won't have to try very hard to get laid.

3. #3 squidrick420, Jul 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2015
    This depends on where you are going for the most part. Here in the south there are places where they are going to be dicks and tell you to speak "real" English but apart from those uneducated and ignorant few it should be fine. People everywhere in the world like foreign accents for the most part; I mean just being American will make it 10x easier to get laid in other countries like Japan for example. But like I said this mostly depends on where you are going. Some rural southern town may call you the outsider with the freak accent (neglecting how atrocious their sounds) while a bigger southern city might like you a little too much. Go up north and if you're in a town you'll make friends and enjoy yourself, yet if you are in a larger city than you're just some British guy and using the "I'm from England" card will only get you so far. I don't know much about what it is like out west but I'm sure you would fit in most places as long as you aren't a dick to people and rub it in their faces that you are from England.

4. Be yourself go about your day and see what happens. Don't try to be someone you're not

5. Like others before me have stated, it depends on where you are and on your English accent. I live in the south and a lot of people here are very judgmental republicans, so I don't know, but I think most people would still like it. To me, it is beautiful (maybe because I'm from Europe myself). I think a lot of people like the English accent here in America as well, especially in the northern states.

6. If you're from Yorkshire mate, you could always just tell them that you act on Game of Thrones...lol

Just be yourself and I'm sure you'll be fine. Just don't go giving us Brits a bed rep. ;) lol

7. English accents are sexy. Americans are very friendly when it comes to international students. I don't think you're going to have any issues. Just use that sexy accent and panties will be dropping right and left. lol I have a neighbor who is from Manchester. She married a Mormon missionary and moved to the states. She loves it here and everyone loves her.

Just relax and be yourself. I doubt anyone will give you shit for your accent. Be prepared for some cultural differences. You're going to be scratching your head a lot and wondering what the fuck is wrong with us. lol

My ex was from Scotland. He used to tell me all the time how different things are here. Plus the U.S. is a large country and each region has it's own idiosyncrasies. I think you're going to enjoy it here.

8. I'm a Republican in the south and have no problems with English accents. Now.....Scottish accents ....that's another story. :)

9. #9 brunette420, Jul 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2015

Oh lol yeah it depends on the person. I meant that I think people are more judgmental towards different culture in the southern States, especially in small towns. For example, some of my relatives have heavy Polish and German accents and sometimes they get funny looks or are treated weird because of it, but most people tend to be more forgiving toward English accents. When I went up north though (and just generally to bigger cities), I found that no one cared about my dad's accent there

10. Oh lol yeah it depends on the person. I meant that I think people are more judgmental towards different culture in the southern States, especially in small towns. For example, some of my relatives have heavy Polish and German accents and sometimes they get funny looks or are treated weird because of it, but most people tend to be more forgiving toward English accents. When I went up north though (and just generally to bigger cities), I found that no one cared about my dad's accent there

11. #11 TheWhiteLighter, Jul 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2015
    Gonna think yer a poofter.
    [​IMG]
    I'm sure you'll do just fine.

12. You are so going to get laid!

I remember back when I was a teenager and we would go to Canada for a month in the summer. There were a group of girls at the same campground I they all loved my southern accent. I was the same person there as I was at home, but they all wanted to hang around me just to listen to me talk. The first couple of years I was too young and naive to take advantage of it, but the summer I turned 16 I took full advantage. :)

13. I talk in an English accent during sex out of no where just to see what girls will do.

14. Be who you are, as others have said...try and assimilate and pretend to be like them and then turn the switch, don't stress it man. Have fun, it's an experience...work on changing the levels of your accent, not for others, but for YOUR enjoyment and benefit.

15. Why worry about sticking out like a sore thumb?

When girls are the subject you wanna stand out, and if something arbitrary (like the way you talk) does the trick, you take full advantage.

16. Ive met several idiotic morons who were english... Caused a pretty bad impression on me. Makes it seem like the english are ignorant or a little stupid. Not saying you are!

17. My mom's British, and everywhere she goes
    she has people tell her that they love her
    accent. Don't worry, most Americans are
    delighted to hear a British, or really any
    foreign accent.