Energy saving bulbs=usefull?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Donthateonmurph, Jul 24, 2008.

1. ok so im trouble finding like a 100w cfl light bulb and i was just wondering if i have these energy saving bulbs that say 35 of this light bulbs watts equals 100 of a regular light bulbs watts will those work or should i use more this is so fn confusing

2. You want to go buy the actual watts... not the equivalent watts.

3. I've been led to believe that in addition to wattage the temp scale and lumen output are important to consider.

I just bought eight 26w 6500K 1600 lumen cfls. In total an equivalent of 800w but only pulling approx 200w and putting out 12800 lumens. Should cost me about $0.45 a day to run.

That is a significant reduction in energy consumption and potential heat output as well. So I'd say yes- useful and inexpensive.

Drive

4. Your gonna want around 100watts per plant. A 26watt cfl is equivalent to a 100watt incandescent. In growing, the equivalent number means nothing since plants can't use the light they are putting out. It is there just so people know that when trying to conserve energy you replace a 100watt incandescent with a 26watt cfl and you will not notice and difference in light brightness. So you will need like 5 x 26watt cfl's or you can buy a 100watt cfl (500watt equivalent).

Cfl's have different color temperature also. 6500k (daylight) for veg. and 2700k (warm white) for flowering.

This question gets asked like 5 times a day if you did a little searching you could probably find the answer within 3 minutes.

5. yea equivalent but in all real its only 208 watts good for 2 plants you need 18 of those to even get half of the 800