Energy drinks not so bad?

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by yurigadaisukida, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Have you ever looked at the back of a package, and.just started researching all those weird ingredients?

I was board and high thismorning so I Googled all the ingredients on my monster drink.

I was surprised to find that like 90% of the ingredients, were just multivitamins, and natural fruit and vegetable extracts.

So what's the big deal?

I Googled "why are energy drinks bad"? To see what people said

Turns out, the reason energy drinks are bad, is because of high ammounts of "stimulants" (caffeine, ginseng, guarana) and sugar.

They offer sugar free verieties, but some say artificial sweeteners are bad and they still have a ton of.caffeine.

Turns out, if you follow the recommended use, (1/2 can instead of two full ones), there is no reason they are bad.

They are essentially fruit drinks with loads of caffeine. Use in moderation like with all things.

-yuri

2. I think the issue is the moderation. I've worked in warehouses a lot and it seems if you work overnight or in a high action job they all drinks them. A few coworkers could drink 2-3 of those bfc monsters every night. That's what gets people, they think it's like a cup of coffee and it's much stronger.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

3. 5-6 teaspoons of sugar per drink is not that bad?
    i think it's pretty horrible.

it's very high in sodium. and it has  number of questionable chemicals. 

it's not that bad... but compared to what? 

4. I try to cut them out but if I do drink one its a bing.

[​IMG]
    \t\t\t\tSupplement Facts
    \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\tServing Size  1 CAN
    \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\tServings Per Container   4
    \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t[​IMG]\t\t\t\t\t\t \t\t\t\t\t\t\tAmount Per
    \t\t\t\tServing
    \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t% Daily
    \t\t\t\tValue
    \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t[​IMG]\t\t\t\t\t\tCalories
    \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t40 
    \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\tN/A*
    \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t[​IMG]\t\t\t\t\t\tTotal Carbohydrate
    \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t10 Gm
    \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t3%
    \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t[​IMG]\t\t\t\t\t\tSugars
    \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t10 Gm
    \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\tN/A*
    \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t[​IMG]\t\t\t\t\t\tVitamin C(As Ascorbic Acid)
    \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t60 Mg
    \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t100%
    \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t[​IMG]\t\t\t\t\t\tRiboflavin(As Vitamin B2)
    \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t1.7 Mg
    \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t100%
    \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t[​IMG]\t\t\t\t\t\tNiacin(As Niacinamide)
    \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t20 Mg
    \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t100%
    \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t[​IMG]\t\t\t\t\t\tVitamin B6(Pyridoxine Hcl)
    \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t2 Mg
    \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t100%
    \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t[​IMG]\t\t\t\t\t\tVitamin B12(As Cyanocobalamin)
    \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t6 Mcg
    \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t100%
    \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t[​IMG]\t\t\t\t\t\tPantothenic Acid(As D-Calcium Pantothenate)
    \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t10 Mg
    \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t100%
    \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t[​IMG]\t\t\t\t\t\tSodium
    \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t20 Mg
    \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t1%
    \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t[​IMG]\t\t\t\t\t\tTaurine
    \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t1000 Mg
    \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\tN/A*
    \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t[​IMG]\t\t\t\t\t\tCaffeine
    \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t120 Mg
    \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\tN/A*
    \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t[​IMG]\t\t\t\t\t\tGINKGO BILOBA LEAF EXTRACT 24%
    \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t100 Mg
    \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\tN/A*
    \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t[​IMG]\t\t\t\t\t\tGINSENG ROOT EXTRACT
    \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t100 Mg
    \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\tN/A*
    \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t[​IMG]\t\t\t\t\t\tBETA-GLUCAN
    \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\tN/A*
    \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t[​IMG]\t\t\t\t\t\tGuarana Seed Extract
    \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\tN/A*
    \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t[​IMG]\t\t\t\t\t\tACAI BERRY EXTRACT
    \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t0.01 Mg
    \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\tN/A*
    \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t[​IMG]\t\t\t\t\t\tFLAX SEED EXTRACT
    \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t0.01 Mg
    \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\tN/A*
    \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t[​IMG]\t\t\t\t\t\t[​IMG]\t\t

5. In moderation. There is a sugar free veriety

The point is if you drink an actual "serving" instead of a can, there will be zero negative effects.

Sugar is only bad in high concentrations

-yuri

6. #6 IvGotMilk, Nov 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2014
    I was drinking around 1,2 sometimes 3 cans of Monster per day (bulk buy) and after about a week whenever I exercised or shouted/sang I got a really intense headache that came on really fast.

Now I drink the odd blueberry redbull, milky coffee and drink 4 litres of water per day and feel great ... just piss more I guess. 

7. Drink Verve.....problem solved

SeNt FrOm My•🌟☆GaL@x¥ $5☆🌟•

8. Still,why are you needing energy if you sleep?

If you eat a high carb low fat diet sleep should be enough.During the day I never feel low on energy.

Check your diet son,those sugary drinks are not needed.h20 is king

9. What's wrong with Red Bull,and XL,why are they banned in some countries??Sugar??Nope.

10. Its not about need.

I would argue that even small ammounts of caffeine daily to "wake up" is bad.

But that doesn't mean you can't ever use caffine (energy drinks) for an advantage.

I'm just arguing that they can be used with no negative effects if used responsibly.

I agree. Actually.

-yuri

well, if you drink half a can of monster energy once in a blue moon... maybe it's not so bad...
    but why not opt out for a cup of coffee or strong tea? 

that said caffeine is one of those substance that has both positive and negative effects. there is a number of studies showing that moderate use caffeine is quite beneficial for cognitive, cardiovascular and neurological. 

12. Does it matter? That's the point. Pick what you like. If its not bad it doesn't matter
    Exactly

-yuri

13. All health myths aside I can personally attest to small ammounts of.coffee causing way worse heartburn and more stomach problems then even.2 full energy drinks

-yuri

i think the concern is that nobody drinks 1/2 a monster drink. most people getting addicted to those things really quickly, because of very questionable ingredients. 
    very high amounts of caffeine, sugar and "other natural flavors" are all to blame. 

just out curiosity i did a quick google search and it appears that there are a lot of hospitalizations and ER visits related to energy drinks.

to me that's a problem.

i guess if it has to be moderated as certain unmentionables and alcohol, and apparently many people get outright addicted to them, i'd say energy drinks are "pretty bad" :)

15. I agree.

But they are bad in the same way that alcohol is bad right?

Most Americans have trouble with self control. That's not the drinks fault is it?

-yuri

16. I read somewhere that there is more sugar in energy drinks than any other type of drink. Enough to put a diabetic in the hospital.

17. there are ssugar free verieties

-yuri

18. Full of sugar and caffeine- not healthy. I notice the people who are always drinking coffee or those energy drinks have dark circles under their eyes and are usually very skinny, kind of look like they are turning into looking like typical strung out drug addicts. Yesterday a friend from class was buying a coffee in the afternoon and he said he drank 3 cups a day. His disposition is nervous, big eyed, talks too much and is pretty strange guy.

I used to drink coffee daily then quit, and had such terrible headaches. Caffeine is a hell of a drug. I prefer tea because it calms you down and brings you energy in a more balanced way.

[​IMG]

19. tea has caffeine

-yuri

20. #20 hibodharma, Nov 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2014
    Beverage Caffeine Per 8 oz Cup
    White Tea 30-55 mg
    Green Tea 35-70 mg
    Oolong Tea      50-75 mg
    Black Tea 60-90 mg
    Coffee 150-200 mg

/\\ so even if you drink black tea, the 'unhealthiest' of teas, it has less than half the caffeine that a cup of coffee does.

Why I prefer tea to coffee comes from personal experience. Tea has been around for thousands of years, noted for its plethora of health benefits like antioxidants. Coffee has more than 3 times the caffeine amount, and is a more powerful diuretic (makes you pee, losing minerals,vitamins). Coffee is much more addictive and has harsh withdrawl symptoms, you don't get that with tea. People pour tons of sugar, milk, whipped cream which makes it even more unhealthy. Also, coffee beans sit on the shelves for weeks and are dead food, if you want great coffee roast the beans yourself.

since you said coffee makes you sick, just avoid it. If you are lacking energy throughout the day, like someone said in this thread it's probably because of your diet, and/or lack of minerals, vitamins and enzymes.