Ending a 5 year relationship

Discussion in 'Sex, Love & Relationships' started by Emblazened, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Hey GC.

I've been dating the same girl since before I joined GrassCity, and March 5th is our 5 year anniversary. Like every relationship we've had our ups and downs, but we've never cheated, we've always taken our relationship seriously, and we've constantly been in love.

We started dating at the age of 16 when we worked at the same ice cream store. 6 months in she started blazing, and since then we've been best friends and smoking buddies as well as lovers.

We're both 21 now and went to the same college. We're in our second half of junior year and still together. We hang out all the time. Twice we've gone on a break, and both times got back together within the week, pretty much because I relentlessly pursued us getting back together.

Recently, we've just been feeling kind of meh about the relationship and have been talking a lot about mutually just ending the relationship. Basically, our future could go multiple ways. We could stay together, suppress our curiosity and (for lack of a better word) boredom, and try to build an adult life together. If that failed, it would be a shitstorm and one of us might cheat on the other while living together some time down the road.

The option that's looking most likely is us taking a break (breaking up pretty much) for some amount of time, starting before V day and our 5th anniversary. We may or may not get back together. I have to be honest and say I feel like this is pretty much my fault because I tend to wonder about getting with random bitches. We've both only banged each other, which is nice and comforting, but kind of daunting to think that if we make it through college and start our adult lives together, heading toward marriage would mean we had only ever been with each other.

These thoughts got sparked by our anniversary, Valentine's day, and the fact that everyone asks if we're going to get married. It's tough to think about walking away from someone you love and have spent so much time with and I can't stop second guessing.

Any blades with similar experiences, thoughts, advice? Also, she will probably read this thread. I don't really care because we are seriously on the best of terms. :smoking:

2. Could you live without her?

3. Seems I may be about to find out...

4. It wouldn't be smart staying in a relationship if you're both getting bored..id say get out and meet new people.

5. Can always just stay friends and get back together after you both banged a few people if you want

6. I dated a guy for 3 years, he was my first sexual experience, we were together all through high school, and we got bored too. We mutually broke up, I moved away and lived my life, he stayed and screwed up college so is in the Navy now, but we talk a lot on facebook whenever we can. He got me and my husband a baby monitor for the baby shower he attended, and loves seeing the pictures and asking about the baby. We both smoke (he can't now) but didn't when we were together, that might have made it last longer than 3 years. But it certainly is normal to get bored or want something different, and it's very possible to have a mutual break up and end up being really good friends regardless. We knew it wasn't going to be forever after a while, eventually (when we graduated high school) it ended, but we still have a good relationship as friends.

7. Nah not worth it your gonna cry like a sissy when shes gone and if she bangs someone else who knows maybe she'll forget about you then you'll end up alone forever, then 10 years from now you'll see her and wish youd stayed with her.. Yup

8. Do what you think is right. Because no matter what you have to live with what you decide. I was in a similar position a few months ago. I chose to break up. Its been the worst and best thing in my life. I've learned so much about myself but then I see the girl happy with other guys. Think about it carefully. And if you do break up cut all communication with her.

9. Sounds personal? Lol

10. I don't think we'd cut off all communication, maybe for a little while but not forever. Are you happy with your decision?

Lol'd at this one, but yeah it's possible.

Yeah, I would hate/feel incredibly weird watching an ex have a baby with another dude, I would not be at that baby shower. I agree it can be mutual and the people can stay friends.

Yup, thanks for the input

Still very undecided about this shit so I probs won't post in the thread for a couple days

11. The only reason I say cut communication is because it won't end and it will drag on if you keep talking. And if thats the case one of you will get hurt seeing the other happy with someone else. You can be friends later but for the first little bit I would cut all ties. And ya I'm happy. It sucked horribly I won't lie for awhile. But overall I needed it. I appreciate relationships more now.

12. The same thing happened to me with my ex of 2 years. I lost my virginity to him and then I got pregnant. He wanted to get married, but I thought to myself "can I really only have sex with him for the rest of my life." I wanted to experience more and he wasn't doing anything with his life so I knew Id grow bored of him. He was a dick and cheated and treated me like shit, so that and me not wanting to settle for him caused us to break up. Id say that was the best decision I ever made.

If you both want to experience more and are getting bored with eachother then I think breaking up might be a good idea. And its good that you guys are on good terms. Who knows you guys may go out experience new things, meet new people and then decide that you do want to be with eachother...

13. Eh you grow up trust me, it's weird at first but we've been broken up for a long long time. After a while you just enjoy your life and enjoy that the other person is enjoying their life.

14. 5 years out of your 21 years alive with 1 girl

u still have 40-60 years left of your life to live... what are u going to do?

15. the first girl i loved left me for a silly reason, 2 weeks later she stopped talking to me, tryed to turn my friends against me, the shit i never thought could happen.... i thought life was really gonna be a rut for a while............years passed and im enguaged to someone i love with all my heart =]....... found out last week, that my ex is with a 30 yr old dude ( shes 19 )who has a son from his exgf, and hes been kinda brainwashing her into their relationship.

i then found out, when she turned 18, she became a bitch who claimed ( im an adult now ) and moved out when mommy/daddy wanted her to start paying bills since shes an adult,moved in with mr 30yr old without telling them about him.

a year passed since she moved in , and shes texting my friends trying to flirt with them. many of her friends know shes the type she is, and are turning there backs to her.

meanwhile, i lay in bed with my fiance and we do everything together, i look back at past gfs and cringe at the thought of still being with them, and cant believe im down the road i am, and for that matter, cant believe the road they went down after we split.

if ur happy, stay, if no, make a change... in some cases for me, leaving the person only made the next time we dated more passionate, but ultimately, were not together anymore.

16. Fuck it man, go live life. You're 21 and in college! Like you said, life could go multiple ways for both of you and neither of you will be happy if you feel like you held the other back or vise versa.
    Plenty of other people out there to meet and chill with.