End the Drug War, Save Black America

Discussion in 'Politics' started by aaronman, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Where do you live? I live in Saint Louis, Missouri. East Saint Louis Illinois is almost 100% "black" and North Saint Louis City is as well. Everything the guy in the video said is 100% true based on what I see with my own eyes.

The police and lazy, they don't care about solving crime, they care about putting a person behind whatever charges they can make stick (guilty, innocent? who cares). It's also easier to mark a murder as suicide, less investigating/ police work to do. Saint Louis City Police do patrol neighborhoods doing random stops, the officer sitting shotgun just jumps out and starts chasing a guy they see on the street just to get a reaction or see if the person they jump out on runs - thus they chase him and arrest him for "resisting arrest" all under the premise of thinking he MIGHT have a warrant.

I wonder why no one would trust the law?

2. Lexington, KY...

The guy is right about how legalizing drugs will lower the statistic of black male imprisonment from drug use or distribution but that's just peanuts compared to what's really wrong with the community.

You're allowed to sell drugs now, but it won't excuse you from being convicted for shooting some fool that's on your 'corner' or neighborhood.

This here doesn't always make it a drug war problem then.

Black America needs to learn (and care) from the mid 50's in Oakland and form a neighborhood, city, or county defense league specifically for areas that feel neglected from government help.

3. According to Wiki, Lexington KY has a 13.4% black or african-american population. I guess it's all a matter of perspective.

People MIGHT be more trusting of the police if they feel that they (the police) actually have their (the citizens) best interests in mind rather than some policy passed down from the Federal Government.

4. You dont understand how turf wars are a direct result of the illegalization of drugs?

5. THIS IS MY BLOCK!!!

[​IMG]

6. Lexington isn't the only place I've lived. I've stayed with family members in Detroit, too - another black metropolitan. But that has nothing to do with my perspective. I'm black, FWIW, and my black relatives have diverse experiences growing up adversely. Some sold drugs just to get by and stopped because they didn't have the patience, some worked two to three 'real' jobs at a time.

Not trying to come off as the spokesmen for black folks, like the guy in that video, I just work with what I'm given.

7. *sigh*

I guess not. Are you gonna tell me?

8. No, I just wanted to know if you were making uneducated statements.

you can research it yourself.

and or move to compton

9. Detroit is like a giant version of North Saint Louis.

So you feel it's a copout and/or diss for this guy to group everyone together and make excuses as to the lack of personal responsibility? You must agree that in largely black communities the police are not thought of as a friend. Hell, pretty much anywhere the police aren't thought of as a friend - I call them revenue collectors. More freedom for the individual and less oppression by the government goes a long way to help citizens better themselves...especially if they felt that the police were only their to protect their rights, not violate them.

I appreciate your views, I assumed wrong about you.

10. Talk about uneducated.

11. Turf War

"Turf wars are also fought between street gangs and organized crime for control of a particular area, especially to control the rackets."

If drugs were legalized the racket would face competition and obviously lose.

12. Yeah cause gangsters dont fight over territory with regards to drug sales.

Its unheard of.

not prevelant at all in poor, urban areas.

Just a myth.

Sweet dreams.

13. That's fine, there's no problem with that the theory but ending the drug war isn't, gonna save the black community by a long shot.

Especially in regards with the police, plenty of black folks get harassed/hurt/killed by law enforcers even when it has nothing to do with drugs.

14. Keep up the reaching, you'll be armless in no time.

15. Not that I enjoy citing the Gov but:

Youth Gangs and Violence

16. Exactly half of most gangs profits are from weed, everybody wants it. If people started getting it in stores gang banging would become less profitable. They would still have crack, but crack does not appeal to as large a market as weed does, which is what makes it dangerous to have them in control of the weed supply.

17. #38 aaronman, Mar 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2011

I agree it's not the be all, end all solution to the problems faced by the black community, but do think the drug war is a huge factor.

Legalize crack! :D

18. I dont see how you can try to say in one breath that "dont use black america as an exploit"... but that is exactly what the war on drugs is doing. i dont understand the logic?

19. No man, its totally okay to imprison 1 out of every 10 blacks for drug related crimes.